AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How do I setup a file server?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/04/2007 11:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/04/2007 11:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
singularity2006

I would like to setup a file server but don't want the hassle of using a complete new system for it. For these network attached storage devices out there, what will I need within the device to be able to host my files and pull them off if I am not at home?

-------------------------
Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
Join my LifeSaverXP UD Cancer Research Team' ">http://www.grid.org/services/t...4673-8D95-938AA24CBEC4 and make a difference, not just another donation.
 03/05/2007 01:10 AM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

check the free software at amdlive
http://www2.amdlive.com/us-en/downloads.aspx
i'm sure there is something there that will suit your needs

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 03/05/2007 01:21 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Filezilla ftp server proggie is easy to use, then naturally the firewall, port, user and login settings.

03/05/2007 12:19 PM

Author Icon
singularity2006

Interesting apps..... didn't think I would see much, but Orb looks fascinating!

So after a bit more thinking and browsing, I'm going to need a few things including the ability to work with a dynamic IP environment through a dynamic DNS service. After getting this established, I'll have to setup my NAS with my router for the rest of the process to work. That said, here's what I got:
Synology DS-101j: http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...s/se...p;sku=S505-1012\" ">http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...8904&sku=S505-1012120GB Seagate IDE hard drive for the unit (maybe 500GB is in order one day in the future)
I do believe that has all the necessary in-built protocols necessary including HTTP, FTP, SMB, mySQL. This will definitely be an interesting long term project for myself .... hmmm. =]

Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
Join my LifeSaverXP UD Cancer Research Team' ">http://www.grid.org/services/t...4673-8D95-938AA24CBEC4 and make a difference, not just another donation.
 03/05/2007 12:26 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: singularity2006
I would like to setup a file server but don't want the hassle of using a complete new system for it. For these network attached storage devices out there, what will I need within the device to be able to host my files and pull them off if I am not at home?

How secure do you want the files to be? Do you need encrypted transfers?

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 03/05/2007 08:09 PM

Author Icon
singularity2006

quote:

Originally posted by: mckennma
How secure do you want the files to be? Do you need encrypted transfers?

Nah, the only purpose for the file server in my case is to access school homework files. But in the long run, maybe secure would be good. That is where I would need a VPN connection, correct? But in anycase, how would I go about doing it the simple way and the secure way?

Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
 03/05/2007 08:55 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Nah, the only purpose for the file server in my case is to access school homework files. But in the long run, maybe secure would be good. That is where I would need a VPN connection, correct? But in anycase, how would I go about doing it the simple way and the secure way?

You could do it with XP Pro. Set up a IIS 10-user server in XP Pro. It has FTP and WWW. You can disable anonymous logins. Setup a username with 11 character password. Setup your router to port forward to a workstation. Give the user account read only access to download.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 03/05/2007 09:40 PM

Author Icon
singularity2006

quote:

You could do it with XP Pro. Set up a IIS 10-user server in XP Pro. It has FTP and WWW. You can disable anonymous logins. Setup a username with 11 character password. Setup your router to port forward to a workstation. Give the user account read only access to download.

Well, currently I ordered myself a NAS so I don't need to leave a whole system running all day. My question pertains specifically to what is necessary in terms of my router and dynamic DNS service. Any suggestions on that or tutorials somewhere?

Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
 03/06/2007 12:21 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Well, currently I ordered myself a NAS so I don't need to leave a whole system running all day. My question pertains specifically to what is necessary in terms of my router and dynamic DNS service. Any suggestions on that or tutorials somewhere?

I would use FTP or web page to copy from. Never go directly to a NAS.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 03/13/2007 01:06 AM

Author Icon
singularity2006

Just got my Synology DS-101j and I am pretty happy with it so far. Although the transfer rate is still as junky as I expected, it is much better than some of the older stuff I have worked with so far. What I'm particular impressed with is that my network uses a static IP system with DHCP turned off. The installation client was able to find the device over the network anyway and allow me to assign all my IP settings. The GUI is very well designed and professional. Their site also offers very regular firmware updates (though in the future, I wonder if it will wipe the drive clean during a firmware update, which would suck).

In anycase, the GUI leads me directly into setting up a photo sharing service as well as web hosting. As soon as I get my dynamic DNS service setup, I should be ready to access all my stuff.

Currently, I'm getting between 1 and 1.5MB/sec transfer rates from the unit ... I'm estimating somewhere between 16 hours to transfer 60GB of data. As soon as the data is transferred however, I do believe I should be clear in the running ...

Does anyone have any suggestions on increasing the NAS throughput? Most people are getting 4 to 5MB/sec for a 100Mbit line.... I think maybe it has something to do with the protocols I use: AFP vs SMB... or something. I don't really understand that part of it. ideas?

Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
 03/13/2007 02:10 AM

Author Icon
singularity2006

nevermind for the bandwidth issue - it was because my NIC was set to force full 100Mb.... didn't play too well with the NAS. full auto-negotiate is giving me 5MB/sec sustained... goodNESS GRACIOUS! (makes me wonder if that was the other big issue that prevented me from being able to work with NAS's back in the day a couple years ago...... oh well, this is a nice device!

hah, i realized i talked to myself a lot in this thread. Anyway, feel free to PM if u want advice on a NAS...

Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
 03/15/2007 04:22 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

nevermind for the bandwidth issue - it was because my NIC was set to force full 100Mb.... didn't play too well with the NAS. full auto-negotiate is giving me 5MB/sec sustained... goodNESS GRACIOUS! (makes me wonder if that was the other big issue that prevented me from being able to work with NAS's back in the day a couple years ago...... oh well, this is a nice device!

hah, i realized i talked to myself a lot in this thread. Anyway, feel free to PM if u want advice on a NAS...

Many NAS are 100 MHz NICs. Best you will get is around 5-8 MB/s. Find a NAS with a 1000 MHz NIC. What is your switch or router ports? I use a Dlink DGL-4300 with four 1000 MHz ports. Everything has 1000 MHz NICs.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 03/15/2007 05:24 PM

Author Icon
singularity2006

quote:

Many NAS are 100 MHz NICs. Best you will get is around 5-8 MB/s. Find a NAS with a 1000 MHz NIC. What is your switch or router ports? I use a Dlink DGL-4300 with four 1000 MHz ports. Everything has 1000 MHz NICs.

Sadly, none of my hardware supports gigabit so I'm stuck there. For the moment, since I don't do gigabyte transfers on a regular basis, my bandwidth is suitable for now. What I'm more concerned with is when I want to upgrade this 120GB drive to 500GB (the maximum recognizable by the NAS BIOS), would it be possible to replicate the drive and upgrade it using something like Acronis TrueImage?

Anyhow, I'm using a Netgear FWG114P router and a system with a standard 100Mbit port. The Synology DS-101j+ NAS I am using also is 100Mbit. As for its onboard processor, there's no info on it. I'm guessing it's running at least a 100MHz processor with an onboard version of Samba. In anycase, 5-8MB/sec is pretty satisfying at the moment. Seeing 5.5 was just a big "WOW" for me when I was dumping my files over.

Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
 03/16/2007 10:17 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Sadly, none of my hardware supports gigabit so I'm stuck there. For the moment, since I don't do gigabyte transfers on a regular basis, my bandwidth is suitable for now. What I'm more concerned with is when I want to upgrade this 120GB drive to 500GB (the maximum recognizable by the NAS BIOS), would it be possible to replicate the drive and upgrade it using something like Acronis TrueImage?

Anyhow, I'm using a Netgear FWG114P router and a system with a standard 100Mbit port. The Synology DS-101j+ NAS I am using also is 100Mbit. As for its onboard processor, there's no info on it. I'm guessing it's running at least a 100MHz processor with an onboard version of Samba. In anycase, 5-8MB/sec is pretty satisfying at the moment. Seeing 5.5 was just a big "WOW" for me when I was dumping my files over.

I can't see why Acronis would not work for moving a partition. The NAS should be doing everything at hardware level. Does the NAS support 500 GB drives in its controller BIOS?

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 03/16/2007 02:57 PM

Author Icon
singularity2006

quote:

I can't see why Acronis would not work for moving a partition. The NAS should be doing everything at hardware level. Does the NAS support 500 GB drives in its controller BIOS?

Yep, it's meant to support up to 500GB. However, I did notice a pretty lengthy thread on their product website of people discussing the use of a 750GB Seagate drive. I have yet to read it yet but looking at the length, I'm guessing the "reviews are pouring in" regarding the use of such a drive. For the most part, I am pretty sure my NAS is doing fine for itself at 120GB. I used up 90GB so far but that's just after dumping all my stuff to it. The vast majority of my files are there and I don't see it expanding too quickly in the near future.

Regarding Acronis, I definitely hope it can make the drive upgrade easier. My primary concern is that the way this NAS runs, it does things on a software level. When installing a drive, it must initialize the drive by re-partitioning it with a 1GB partition for Samba and its web protocols (Got the website, FTP, and image server working now with Dynamic DNS - definitely cool). The rest of the space is then used for storage. In anycase, it's that 1GB partition and the software on it that I'm worried about. Hopefully there will be no issue here. But I will probably email tech support just to be sure.

What I find quite interesting is how seemless the networking aspect of this device is. Browsing it up through the network neighborhood works out perfectly. It also has solid performance and stability after mapping the networked drives.

But on the flip side, its image server is horrendously slow. The engine it uses to take images and generates thumbnails is like dialup. As images are added to the image server folder, the system automatically generates thumbnails for its user website page. I dumped 3GB of images onto it last night and 8 hours later, it's not even done indexing 1/3 of all the pictures on there. Media indexing in this case is a real problem. There's also a limit of 10MB per file but that's no biggie - unless everyone was using a 10+ MP SLR, file size shouldn't be an issue.

Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
 03/16/2007 04:15 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Yep, it's meant to support up to 500GB. However, I did notice a pretty lengthy thread on their product website of people discussing the use of a 750GB Seagate drive. I have yet to read it yet but looking at the length, I'm guessing the "reviews are pouring in" regarding the use of such a drive. For the most part, I am pretty sure my NAS is doing fine for itself at 120GB. I used up 90GB so far but that's just after dumping all my stuff to it. The vast majority of my files are there and I don't see it expanding too quickly in the near future.

Regarding Acronis, I definitely hope it can make the drive upgrade easier. My primary concern is that the way this NAS runs, it does things on a software level. When installing a drive, it must initialize the drive by re-partitioning it with a 1GB partition for Samba and its web protocols (Got the website, FTP, and image server working now with Dynamic DNS - definitely cool). The rest of the space is then used for storage. In anycase, it's that 1GB partition and the software on it that I'm worried about. Hopefully there will be no issue here. But I will probably email tech support just to be sure.

What I find quite interesting is how seemless the networking aspect of this device is. Browsing it up through the network neighborhood works out perfectly. It also has solid performance and stability after mapping the networked drives.

But on the flip side, its image server is horrendously slow. The engine it uses to take images and generates thumbnails is like dialup. As images are added to the image server folder, the system automatically generates thumbnails for its user website page. I dumped 3GB of images onto it last night and 8 hours later, it's not even done indexing 1/3 of all the pictures on there. Media indexing in this case is a real problem. There's also a limit of 10MB per file but that's no biggie - unless everyone was using a 10+ MP SLR, file size shouldn't be an issue.

I would not invest in it on a 100 MHz NIC NAS. Trying to move that much data across the controller could cause damage to your drive. The best you can get is 12.5 MB/s. Most likely under 8 MB/s. Backing up the device would be impossible at that speed for that size. I would build a workstation for a file server instead using a 1 GHz (1000 MHz) NIC on a router that support 1 GHz. My web server at home http://69.47.81.240 is on a Tyan Thunder DLUAN-GX board with dual Intel 550 MHz P3s, 896MB RAM, a Promise Ultra 100 RAID controller and two RAID 1 Western Digital RE 160GB 24x7 hard drives with a cheap 1 GB/s NIC. I was able to backup the drive across the wire at 720 MB/min to my VXA-3. It was not an expensive box to build. Disk to Disk backups via Backup Exec 11D from my workstation to IIS box were 35-45 MB/s.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 03/17/2009 02:45 PM

Author Icon
Automatic

This might be alittle too late. I imagine your file server is up and running and stable? How comfortable are you with Unix/Linux? As far as serving files, you can make your server much more secure, stable and reliable on a not so "workhorse" of a system.

Computer Help & Repair
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information