Increase font size
Topic Title: Linksys WMP54GS and WRT54GS = dropped connections
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/03/2007 12:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/03/2007 12:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jls1986

I have had the WMP54GS and WRT54GS setup for around 2 years now. I have version 2 of the router, and everything has been fine up until a couple weeks ago. Lately I have been getting randomly dropped from the router. I already have the latest firmware for the router, and have tried changing the channel, and the operating mode to G only, but nothing helps. Sometimes drops occur ever few minutes, sometimes they are so constant that I cant even connect at all. I will refresh my network list and the network will not show up for a few seconds, and then it will, so I will try and connect and it will say Unable to connect.
Sometimes when I refresh the network list and it will show my network like 4 times... like this
SSID
SSID 1
SSID 2
SSID 3

I have SSID broadcast off if that makes any difference...

I have no idea what is going on, is this a problem with the router or the network card? What should I do? thanks
 05/05/2007 08:15 AM

Author Icon
TLH

You may have a bad cap in there. I take it the warrantee is out after 2 years so it may pay to pop the front off and just check what is in it and that they are good. I have read about this on Netgears and it's certainly possible that other brands could be affected.Replacing the caps for good ones even though the original didn't look bad fixed the issue.

Here's a pic of the motherboard in it... http://content.techrepublic.co...-1035_11-62182-13.html

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 05/06/2007 01:21 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Originally posted by: jls1986

I have had the WMP54GS and WRT54GS setup for around 2 years now. I have version 2 of the router, and everything has been fine up until a couple weeks ago. Lately I have been getting randomly dropped from the router. I already have the latest firmware for the router, and have tried changing the channel, and the operating mode to G only, but nothing helps. Sometimes drops occur ever few minutes, sometimes they are so constant that I cant even connect at all. I will refresh my network list and the network will not show up for a few seconds, and then it will, so I will try and connect and it will say Unable to connect.

Another thing to try is on your computer with the wireless card, go ahead and remove the wireless card's drivers, reboot, reinstall and see if that helps.

Another idea//option is to actually plug directly into the wireless router and see if you experience the same network disconnects.

Hope this helps,

BV.
 05/13/2007 11:16 PM

Author Icon
SolnzeUSB
Deprecated

There is always dd-wrt firmware.
Or try to limit the amount of connections you have.

"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners." V.I.Lenin

HP tx1000 | Touch-screen | TL-64 Tyler | 4GB RAM | SSD + HDD dual drive | 802.11n | Win7 U-64 + Vista U-64
 07/28/2010 02:12 PM

Author Icon
sarahlacy
Lurker

many things can cause the problem:
try reinstalling the linksys and adapter firmware .
or maybe there is a 3rd party like a firewall or other software blocking the computer router connection
personally i think the problem is from the computer not the router, try connection from another one and let's see the results.

(this is a ancient post , but many people are facing this problem , i will be always happy to share what i know

Linksys E1000 review
Linksys E3000
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information