AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Which Router? Reccomendations?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/11/2007 06:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/11/2007 06:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Le_Petit_Lapin

Right, heres the problem, me and the housemate like to play games of Supreme Commander and the like, both on the same server at the same time.....which was fine when we were using a Netgear WGT624 v3 router, it wasn't 100% perfect, worked about 85% of the time when we both joined the same server, which was good enough. Unfortunately this router had a little incident with a spilt cup of coffee, and has since passed away onto silicon heaven.

So, I had a poke about in my PC bits boxes in the attic and found a Netgear Prosafe FWG114P router lying about doing nothing. It was pressed into action. Now while it had all manner of fancy things like VPN and a Print Server (not that I used them) it does not have Port Triggering, only Port Forwarding. You can see where this is going can't you? I can only forward the ports for each game to one LAN IP (it doesnt allow duplicates) so basically, only one of us can play on each server of whatever game it is (aside from EvE Online, which doesn't seem to care how many clients you have at one IP address). Anyway enough rambling.

I need a new Router. It needs to have:

1) Port Triggering Goodness!
2) A Wireless LAN!
3) Built in hardware firewall (pretty much standard I would assume)
4) It should be known to be reliable!
5) Doesn't need more than 4 LAN ports.
6) Should preferably be coffee resistant (optional)
7) I cant think of anything else!

That's about the long and short of it. What should I get?

I dont need this new "n" spec wireless technology, I'm getting good signals throughout the house as it is, besides, it'll be cheaper.
 09/12/2007 07:37 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Can't help you with the coffe-proof.
A vstandard router is Barricade Broadband Router SMC7004VBR V3, 4 Port 10/100 Switch, Firewall, DHCP Server, but it has no wireless.
So the Barricade Wireless Broadband Router SMCWBR14-G2, 54Mhz, 4port 10/100 + 1WAN, Access Point 802.11g should do fine with your requirements. Almost same performance, but with wireless support.
If you want better ones, netgear and d-link are a better choice (that's if you have high connection speed).

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro

Edited: 10/12/2009 at 01:03 AM by Overmind
 03/04/2009 12:31 PM

Author Icon
Two7Buckeye

I had several "Generic" 54mbps Netgear and Linksys routers in the past, and they serve their purpose well. Never had any issues with them, so I dont see why you couldnt get out at $30-$50 with one of these. On the other side of that coin is what I have now. Well I had a Best Buy gift card, and really didnt need anything from there, as I do my shopping elsewhere. I bought this ---> Belkin N1

Oh good lord! I have a tremendously noticable difference when using this router now. The 4GB LAN ports make my file transfers between pc's incredibly quick. Over air is much faster than any other router ive ever used. I like the LCD display and functionality of it. Im not suggesting it to you, unless you like these types of gadgets, but I just thought you might be interested to see what differences are out there. I do notice that the prices have gone up on this thing about $50 bucks!

It handles 2 iphones, a Wii, Laptop, 3 pc's all at once, without any lag. (unless youre running torrent software etc... obviously there is some tweaking that you need to do to optimize it.

-------------------------
Phenom II 955
Cooler Master V8
ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX
2 x Sapphire 4870 1GB GDDR5
4GB GSkill Pi Black 1066
2 x 74GB WD Raptor 16mb RAID-0
640GB WD Caviar Black 32mb
Cooler Master HAF 932
Antec Quattro 850w

Edited: 03/04/2009 at 12:40 PM by Two7Buckeye
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information