AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Which OS will you use for Forum WARZ?
Topic Summary: Some interesting results....
Created On: 10/16/2010 08:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/16/2010 08:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

After doing some becnhmarks now that I've had some time to experiment in between my studies I've come across some curious things. I have the unique capability through my studies to have access to Windows XP, Vista, Server 2008 7 and Linux. Of course, we aren't allowed to use Linux in Forum Warz (which is a shame), but that's not the point of this thread. I'm curious to what some of us will use as an OS for our benchmarks.

Will we use say XP x86 for our suicide runs and say Windows 7 x64 for Cinebench? Will be just use one OS, such as Vista x64 for ease of setup? Will those of us that have Ultimate versions (and both discs) just use one OS but boot into the different architectures for certain benchmarks?

Is there any difference in the benchmarks to make it wothrwhile to have multiple OSes that might get borked from overclocking?

Ona side not I've installed the latest IE 9 beta and noticed a drop in RAM usaeage in Windows 7 x64. Will it stand up to overclocking when submitting benchmarks across the internet for certain ones? By then it should be ins table realease once SP1 shows up for 7. Is SP1 going to impact our Windows 7 use for benchmarks?

Just some curious questions to open up a discussion amongst ourselves and get us thinking. For some of us it may be a cost liscensing issue. Some people are just going to refuse paying the man to do this. I certainly did last Forum Warz and just used Vista Ultimate x64 for the entire run.

I'll leave a nice little screenshot and show you an example of one I've come across in comparing Cinebench 11.5 across Windows 7 x64 and Windows Server 2008 x64. My top score at the same clocks was achieved in Windows Server 2008 with a mild overclock.

-------------------------
Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 10/16/2010 09:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ianto
Lurker

i found that whill using linux all in all everything seems to run better. but due to compatability its windows 7 for me. while running games on linux (not under emulation) i get a higher fps and a slightly lower cpu usage as an average
but because i have to run a virtual machine to run alot of games it jacks everything up

but i to have the facilitys of using multiple OS's so you'v inspired me and i think il do some testing of my own

-------------------------
I Call It Reaper, Its Not The Best But Its Mine

Phenom 9850 2.5 Clocked at 2.93
4gb 800mhz Dual Channal
M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe
2X XFX 9600 GSO in SLI
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information