Increase font size
Topic Title: Unlocking Cores Questions
Topic Summary: Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition
Created On: 11/22/2010 06:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/22/2010 06:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nekov4ego
Lurker

I recently got a Phenom II 555 Black Edition (3,2GHz). Some great guys from these forums actually told me about it, and I haven't had any problems with it, and am happy that I got it and didn't get a X4 (I simply don't need a Quad Core for now).

I have questions, though, about the unlocking cores feature. I have Asus M4A785TD-V Evo motherboard and 4GB of DDR3 Ram, 1333mhz (2x2GB kit Corsair).
The questions are simple. I don't intend to unlock, though I tried and it worked for me without any problems. Here the questions are:

Will the warranty of the CPU fail (I don't know the phrase for it, sorry) if I unlock? I actually have, so is the warranty still valid or not, and is there a way to prove that if the system gets unstable, it is because of the unlocking? I also want to know what risks there are when you run an unlocked to Quad X2 processor. Does it shorten the life of the CPU? Does it make the CPU more unstable?

When I unlocked my 555 BE, it ran cool as if it was working as X2 (with stock fan). I haven't experienced any failures of the system, nor have I had any performance problems. I just want some information about it because it is really interesting to me. Some people tell that AMD locked the cores because they were defective and unlocking them would only bring you problems, etc, etc...

ANY info related with the topic is more than welcome. I know there are some really smart guys here... they helped me chose parts for my PC and I am happy with them now.

PS: Sorry if there are some strange phrases, I could explain everything you don't understand.

-------------------------
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE (3,2GHz, 1MB L2, 6MB L3 Cache) | Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo | RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair, 1333mhz | GPU (IGP): ATI HD 4200 | HDD: 500GB Seagate, SATA2, 7200rpm, 16MB/s | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (7600 Build)

'Max couldn't understand why being honest was inappropriate ...'

Edited: 11/22/2010 at 07:00 AM by nekov4ego
 11/22/2010 07:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pcnazz
Sub Zero

Hi nekov4ego , I just got a PH II x2 555 BE a month ago and put it in my back up rig with an Asus ch4 mb , I also plan on benching this 555 BE in a subzero . All four cores are unlocked and stable at 4.0ghz on air , I havn't tried beyond there yet because I am on my main rig again . If your four cores unlocked and are stable like mine are then I would absolutly run your 555 as a quad core . Don't worry about the warrenty , if you do use that which if the cpu is good out of the box chances are slim & none that you will need your cpu warrenty , pm me for more on the warrenty question you ask .

-------------------------
    Room Temp H20 | 2 Stage Cascade | PH II X6 1090T BE | PH II X2 555 / Asus CH4 v905 | i7 970 / Asus R2E v1914 | Corsair HX1000 1210W | Asus 5970 QF | Corsair Dominator GT 2000 | WD VR 3+0 Raid ( 450gb )
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information