Increase font size
Topic Title: Unable to undo overclocking set with overdrive
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/03/2011 03:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/03/2011 03:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rolandcg
Lurker

Hi,
I have a big problem:
I used Overdrive(various versions, 3.2.3.0 at present) (on Win Vista home premium x32) to speed up my Notebook (ASUS X50Z), Processor: AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core QL-62.
Unfortunately, it didn't take it well, now it:
- lacks performance,
- the display is blurring and
- the nb overheats badly

Now I am not able to undo the new settings, whenever I hit 'OK' or 'Apply' in my Overdrive Application, the NB freezes immidiately with a blue screen (not THE blue screen) or a grey one or purple...I tried to
- set the new (un-overclocked) settings and save them as default in overdrive, reboot
--> No effect, the settings are not even set as standard
- uninstall overdrive with its own uninstaller, reboot
--> No effect on the clocking, checked with a different monitoring tool
- clear registry additionally...
- uninstall with uninstaller tool...
- reinstall to do new settings
--> same effect (none) with the same freezing and coloring...
- I tried different overclocking tools, they all tell me the are not sufficient for my Processor

Additional Information:
- There are no processor-related settings in my BIOS and
- I don't have a recent system restore point and
- Reinstallation is not at first, second or third thought ;-)

What can I do to get rid of my overclocking settings?

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 01/04/2011 at 06:53 AM by rolandcg
 01/07/2011 12:41 PM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

If you had Overdrive still installed you could simply cleared the "Automatically apply settings when windows starts" and that should have solved your problem. I would try resetting the BIOS, with a "Load factory defaults" or something like that. It is possible that the OC settings got locked in the BIOS and thats why OD wont work as it is supposed to.

It is a shame that people don't read the information that comes with AMD Overdrive to realize that the software only works with certain Chip sets, and is not something that can be used on any AMD platform. Yet everyday I read about, or have someone come to me in person with some budget desktop, or laptop, and wonder why this software that was targeted to enthusiast users with serious hardware, wont work on their machine. Because I have had to fix issues like this, I am going to say, if you reset your BIOS and it doesn't fix the problem, then you only option at this point is to format and reinstall windows.

-------------------------
 01/08/2011 03:08 AM

Author Icon
rolandcg
Lurker

Thanks for your help. I realized my mistake, i forgot to mention that I set the option "Automatically apply settings when windows starts" when i restarted my budget laptop.

As I mentioned, there are no options in my BIOS concerning the Processor.
Please explain, since you have fixed many of these problems, how I can fix mine?
What do I have to undo in my OS, that was done by Overclocking in the first place?

That is btw the question, that is why I posted and explained my problem in this forum of experienced users.

Edited: 01/08/2011 at 03:15 AM by rolandcg
 01/08/2011 09:07 AM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

Ok, let me try again. Sorry if I came across like I was talking down on you, I did not meant it to sound that way. I do sometimes get short fused when I see a rash of the same sort of problems on the same class hardware. AMD Overdrive not with standing, I see tons of problems everyday that are based from users not reading about the program they want to use. This one could have be stopped before it started if you had noted the Hardware requirements. So the moral of this story is research about what you want to do before you jump in and try it out.

So let us see what we can do to help you reverse the problem. The first thing we need to do is figure out where the setting are set at. AMD Overdrive is a program that interfaces with the BIOS, and configures parameters from a windows interface. Now I must say that AMD Overdrive is a powerful program, that allows a user to fine tune his/her rigs. I should not however give you anymore options then what is written into your BIOS, so if you don't see any thing in BIOS that allows you to change CPU settings, then the options in AMD Overdrive should have been grayed out. So to help you out further I will need to know what exactly you changed in AMD Overdrive, and I also need you to take pictures of every page of your BIOS, upload them all to a online site (like photobucket) and post a link here to the entire album so I can reference them as we go threw this.

01/08/2011 03:00 PM

Author Icon
rolandcg
Lurker

Hi again, you didn't come across like talking down on me, don't worry. I do have a problem, you don't; I am aware of that. I just wanted to bring a precise explanation of my problem, and your answer didn't seem to be a solution. but ntl, now we are talking.
I cannot check my BIOS for the next hours, but i can tell you what I did in Overdrive:
Since nearly every thing is greyed out, as you already suggested, I only adjusted my CPU Core Multiplier (from 5 to 10), my HT Link multiplier (from 6 to 10) and my core voltage (from, I think .95 to 1.1).
Then I tried to "optimize" my RAM-settings, but the new settings were not taken over, so do not bother about that.
Maybe that's enough for a hint?

Thanks
PS: I forgot to mention: it is a dualboot system and my second os is linux, so there would be no problem at all to boot up with real administrative powers, if I was to know what to do...

Edited: 01/08/2011 at 03:22 PM by rolandcg
 01/08/2011 04:29 PM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

What I am trying to determine is if the OC setting are stuck in Windows, or if the hardware is has the setting stuck in BIOS. Once we know that then we can derive a solution.

01/08/2011 11:39 PM

Author Icon
rolandcg
Lurker

BIOS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwxR99XiJyM
As you can see the proc-related options are greyed out, I cannot alter them. When I made the pictures, I restored the manufacturer settings, option in the last picture.
Then I went through the same procedure I mentioned in my first posting; I even used UltimateBootCD and roughly erased all BIOS/CMOS settings.
So, what's next?

Greetings
 01/09/2011 01:47 PM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

OK it looks like the issue is with Windows. I am guessing that the reason you dont want to reload windows is because of the dual boot that you have set up. give me some time to research a viable option to doing a reinstall and I will get back to you. I dont think that you will ever regain the original performance however, but we can try.

01/09/2011 02:37 PM

Author Icon
rolandcg
Lurker

Thanks again.
regards
 01/28/2011 11:49 AM

Author Icon
rolandcg
Lurker

ol' right. So i went out and bought win 7, reinstalled, reconfigured - 2 Days of work.
Thanks anyway.. ;-)
Regards..
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information