AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Overclocking Phenon II X4 N950
Topic Summary: Can it even be done safely?
Created On: 07/11/2011 08:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/11/2011 08:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ChrisHalliwell
Lurker

Hi!

I'm using Acer Aspire, with 2.1Ghz quad core CPU, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 2gb GPU, 8GB DDR3 memory and the rest isn't that much important...
The thing is, that everything inside this laptop is really really good, except the processor could be a bit better/newer, so I installed AMD Overdrive and tried to overclock it, but instead, I found out that the sliders are already pushed to the far right and therefore CPU clock speed cannot be increased.
There is also very little writtend about the Phenom II X4 N950 on the internet and I never saw any post saying about overclocking it.

So is it even possible/safe to overclock it? If it is, please advise me how to do that.
I'll also take care of cooling so it wont fry...hopefully

Regards,
Anže
 07/12/2011 02:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cvsi3
Elite

I highly doubt that you would be able to overclock it. From my understanding most laptops frequency's are locked and cannot be adjusted. Even if you were able to, i wouldnt suggest it as the heat sinks on laptops are minimal and probably would not be able to cool an overclocked chip.

-------------------------
i7 2600K - Asus Maximus Extreme-Z - G.Skill DDR3 2133 CL9 - MSI 5870 - Corsair 1200w PSU - 2 x Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 - Swiftech Apogee XT Water Block - Swiftech MCP655 Pump - 120mm Quad Rad - Windows 7 - Ubuntu x64

5311Mhz Validation
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information