AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How do APUs handle the presence of a dedicated GPU?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/23/2011 10:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/23/2011 10:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
-EVM-
Lurker

Hello folks,

I have, what might be a silly question, for you. As the title suggests, I want to know what exactly is the interaction between an APU and a dedicated graphic card on the same motherboard.

You see, I've heard of AMD's APUs, but I never gave it much thought since I knew the integrated graphics were discrete-level. But now I'm building a new rig, and one great thing I actually never knew about the APUs, was their affordable price. I'm tempted to get an A8 2.90 GHz quad--nothing too crazy--, and use it with a GTX 560 ti I just bought, on the same motherboard.

I know the APUs have integrated graphics, so I'm wondering, how do these two interact (by two I mean the integrated vs the dedicated)? Is it like Nvidia's Optimus technology? Or systems with APUs only allow its integrated graphics only?

Because what I want is to use the APU as, of course, my processor, and use my GTX as my sole graphics card, and I don't want the APU's integrated to get in the way.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information