Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD next Fusion Processors after A8
Topic Summary: specifications questions
Created On: 02/20/2012 11:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/20/2012 11:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
gcmjr
Lurker

I am intrested in starting to build on the FM socket platform with APUs. My curiosies about having cpu and gpu on the same chip are in a few subcategories, and are related to potenial capabilites and performance. I am intrested in feedback regarding these questions associated with APUs.

1) I see that graphics cards with Radeon GPUs are using DDR5 memory, while the X86 architecture CPU cores use DDR3 memory on the AM3/AM3+ FX platform, can this eventually lead to the use of DDR5 RAM on the mainboard with the furture FM2 Sockets? How many memory channels do you really need for efficiency and performance with the new APUs?

2) There seems to be a large focus on SATA connectivity on mainboards, and chip sets focused on SATA capabilities. I build using PCI express 2.0 x4 interface Solid State Drives. I've started using OCZ RevoDrive3 x2 SSDs as the OS drive with boot. I am hoping for more PCI express connectivity related to other functions rather than a video card focus, and I see less PCI express channels on the current FM1 75 Boards. The GPUs on the APU should be enough to perform the video capability needed. I am curious to see if there will be better SSD supports. It's obvious why to choose an SSD with a PCI express interface over a SATA interface.

3) Will the APUs on the next FM2 socket have Radeon 7000 series GPUs, and if so will they be able to provide PCI express gen 3.0? How will open CL be improved on the next series?

4) What are the expected future energy efficiency improvements with the next APUs regarding power consupmtion and any new backup power requirements/needs?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information