AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Where the Heck are the Piledrivers?
Topic Summary: Lack of appearances in retail or otherwise for the new A Series Trinity
Created On: 06/22/2012 04:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/22/2012 04:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
LegendaryGamer
Lurker

I don't know if I'm just cursed or what...

Honestly, when I contacted HP and asked them why the heck they don't have a dual video version of the Piledriver available in the U.S. I was in shock. They're available in many third world countries... Just not in the United States.

What, exactly is the strategy there? I've been chomping at the bit to get my hands on one of these and the only affordable one is an Acer V3 system with a Single A8-4500M and no other config options (same config as the HP G6 version just 200 dollars less).

HP has an A10-4600M that is unconfigurable as well...

The MSI GX60 is nowhere to be found (Pairs an A10-4600M with an AMD 7970M)

Nothing from ASUS

Nothing that I really know of from Dell

Samsung's Series 5 "ultrabook" is only available on Amazon, and you can get some of the HP models at Fry's (maybe because they list preorder)

No retail stock here (Chicagoland Area)

Honestly, if I didn't know any better OEMs are stalling because Intel offered them payoffs/threats to not provide their Ivy Bridge Chip (since it is in scarce supply too).

I hope that's not the case again, but I wouldn't put it past them. They've done it multiple times before.

Trinity, where the hell are you?
 06/22/2012 05:38 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

They are still trying to sell off the previous version's stock that they have. You'll just have to wait like everyone else, sorry!

http://www.tomshardware.com/re...00k-a6-5400k,3224.html

I say preview because hardware based on the Trinity design isn't going to be available in the channel until later this year. It has been reported that there are still a lot of Llano-based APUs out there, which AMD needs to sell off. So, it's making Trinity available to OEMs designing notebooks and desktops in time for back-to-school. But you won't be able to buy these chips for a while. Moreover, the motherboards supporting them with Socket FM2 interfaces aren't fully-baked, either.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 06/24/2012 01:38 PM

Author Icon
LegendaryGamer
Lurker

Originally posted by: Canis-X

They are still trying to sell off the previous version's stock that they have. You'll just have to wait like everyone else, sorry!

http://www.tomshardware.com/re...00k-a6-5400k,3224.html

I say preview because hardware based on the Trinity design isn't going to be available in the channel until later this year. It has been reported that there are still a lot of Llano-based APUs out there, which AMD needs to sell off. So, it's making Trinity available to OEMs designing notebooks and desktops in time for back-to-school. But you won't be able to buy these chips for a while. Moreover, the motherboards supporting them with Socket FM2 interfaces aren't fully-baked, either.

Yeah, they are trying to sell off the previous stock for the DESKTOP versions of the hardware. However, the laptop processors have been available for over a month now and the flavors of them basically, suck, in the United States.

If they were waiting to sell off old stock, then why can you by the A10-4600M , the A8-4500M and the A6 versions on Amazon, HP.com and off Acer's Website (as well as Newegg = Selling the Acer laptop for 30 bucks more)? They just don't have any variety. Overseas, India for example, already has a Dual Video A8-4500M (paired with a 7670 Discrete video card). Where the hell are they in the United States? Nowhere.

That's not waiting to sell off old stock, that's resellers screwing AMD (and possibly more Intel B.S.)
 06/24/2012 03:30 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Well, did you read the link? Pretty much sums it up man. I really don't know what else to tell you, if you are just wanting to rant, just to rant then hey go for it! Otherwise you're still gonna have to wait until the fall from the sounds of it.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 07/25/2012 05:28 PM

Author Icon
FG Computers
Lurker

I bought in some FX6100's for some builds and AMD are running a cash back in the UK they are good bang per buck. I've warmed up to FX quite a lot in real world deployment they are better than I expected. They were priced too high at launch.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information