AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Overclock or change CPU? (Athlon 3000+ in Winfast 760GXK8MC MB)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/18/2011 12:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/18/2011 12:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
murrayatuptown
Lurker

Hello:

Sorry this is such a long question, but eventually someone asks what hardware and what applications are in question

Before suggesting I get a new PC (This IS the one I just got to replace a Sempron 2800+ PC)...money is somewhat of an issue, so I want to consider the smartest option to push this new PC a bit more. (Mainly because I'm dumbfounded at how long it takes to boot! IT's slower than the old PC with a 90% (?) full IDE hard drive.

MB is a Foxconn/Winfast 760GXK8MC MB w/ Socket 754 Athlon 3000+ 2 GHz

I was just given this machine by my brother-in-law who replaced his. It has one each 1 GB and 512 MB DDR400 PC3200 DRAM. Max I can install is 2 GB, so I'm not sure the cost of another 1 GB stick will be met by that much improvement over 1.5 GB.

The MB will support 3000+, 3200, 3400 and 3700.

I'd like to find out what might offer a the greatest speed improvement. I looked at many CPU comparisons with various benchmarks today, and my naive assumption is that going for the fastest CPU the MB will handle is probably the biggest improvement I can make...it's old enough that the cost would be modest...

The 3700 Socket 754's are still several times the price of say, a 3400. I only compared 3000+ to 3700 benchmarks today.

It's running XP Pro on a small (80 GB) SATA HD and I need to get a larger one. I'm looking at 2 TB SATA drives, but the MB SATA apparently is somewhat slow (150 MB/s?).

The BIOS has a lot of settings for voltage and RAM clock. I haven't figured out if the CPU clock is changeable from BIOS or jumpers.

Any suggestions or opinions about overclocking vs. new CPU vs. going to 2 GB from 1.5 GB of DDR400 RAM?

I primarily do web browsing and audio/video processing (S.U.P.E.R) (converting digital camera video (.mov) for my wife & daughter to upload on Facebook and on cellphone/MP3 player or iPod. Not a gamer, but I do photo work in Photoshop for a website. I definitely can use a speed improvement. My next frontier will be learning how to record audio and do non-linear video editing.

Thanks for reading and any help.

Murray

-------------------------
Murray
 04/18/2011 03:18 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Go with overclock. No significant difference going from 1.5GB to 2GB and s754 does not support dual channel RAM operation.
SATA-I is a better than IDE, here one thing to notice though that newer "green" harddisks with 32MB or more cache are sometimes troublesome for older systems running WinXP.
They need be formatted in a specific way in order for WinXP to get their full potential speed.

Set up a pair of drives with RAID-0 then you get the best performance.

04/22/2011 03:13 PM

Author Icon
murrayatuptown
Lurker

Thank you.

I just looked in the manual...seems there is already support for RAID, but I don't know if it's in the BIOS or on a utility CD which I don't have.

All the stuff about potential problems with overclocking sounds like a hassle with a lot of gray areas to me.

Back to the 3000+ vs. 3400 (not sure if that gets a '+' or not) question...

Is a 3400 faster than 3000+ (generally speaking), or would finding a 3400 2.4 GHz lean toward the overclocked 3000+ advice by virtue of upping the clock multiplier on a processor already rated for 2400? The RAM is PC3200. The clock is at 200 MHz now.

I'm not sure I understand the whole picture, and the last time I messed with clock multipliers they were MB jumpers. I didn't see an obvious x10 setting to link '2000 MHz' and '200 MHz', but the BIOS has a Super-somethin' feature they describe as 'good for overclocking at your own risk', so there may be another name or parameter for that feature.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but it seems like a 3400(+?) at 2400 MHz would= faster CPU without the RAM being pushed into another temperature category. I guess I could say I want to consider conservative options that don't require extensive tweaking and watching my back for overheating...the 3700 price + hard drive starts to make the upgrade cost higher than might make sense.

Someone else told me reloading the OS might make a bigger difference anyway )

Thanks

Murray

Edited: 04/22/2011 at 04:00 PM by murrayatuptown
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information