AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: True multi core use and software benchmarks
Topic Summary: the use of software that is able to take advantage of multi core designs.
Created On: 04/29/2009 09:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/29/2009 09:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
apogee
Lurker

Hello ,

I would like to speak about the benchmarks that are used to show compare performance of CPUs. Because almost ALL the new cpu's are multi core ,in my opinion its esssential to use the right benchmarks /software , that really can show the true potential of AMD processors.

First, there is a category of software that is ignored in that benchmarks: the software for music creation & editing, like ProTools ,Nuendo ,Cubase are an excellent way to measure cpu's performance right where this is needed.A digital audio workstation ,with a high count of plugin software running,can bring to its knees ANY system ,no matter how powerfull that system is.Do a small research for cpu intensive plug in's & trying some of those will really prove the point.The only test I am aware of ,the Davec test ,is available [the instructions how to perform this] in the Digidesign's forum,and if I remember this correct ,its been made from a user.
There is a small number that are the top Digital Audio Workstation software for Windows platform ,namely Steinberg's Nuendo & Cubase ,Digidesign's Protools,& Cakewalk Sonar.Those applications ,are a great choice for doing benchmarks.
One note ,Both Nuendo ,Cubase ,Protools [not sure about Sonar] ALL those have the option to use many cpu cores.Its the nature of this software to be demanding ,may be more than anything else for a "personal" computer.
AMD should in my opinion ,have a close look to the people using that kind of software and listen to their needs.
Only when someone sees a MAXED CPU ,and the software struggling to response because cpu cant handle the processing load ,will know what I mean.
And if you think that's rare....think twice.Just having a look to any forum of Steinberg ,Digidesign, Waves ,Native Intruments....will show you the truth.
Take any daw host ,and try to open 10 instances of a software sampler ....
Then some heavy plugins ,then look at the cpu usage meter.
There is no coincidence about the fact that ALL those applications have a Window you can display showing CPU usage :s

Second, I have noticed ,that almost all tests available on the internet are focused on one aplication at the time.However ,in the age of multi-core designs ,NO ONE is making or running one thing at a time .For example ,while typing this ,my anti virus software is running ,my music player is also ,running,a game is minimized, and Im talking to friends using Ventrillo,...oh and the Warcraft 3 is minimized.I am pretty sure that almost all users are falling in the category of using many programs at the same time.This is why tests that 2 ,3 or more programs are running simoultaneously to show the true performance of cpu.

For example , one test like that would be to play a certain high rate mp3 file using Winamp with a selected visualisation window,while decompressing a certain file with 7zip,and playing an mp4 video to another window,and converting an uncompressed Avi file to Divx.Now THIS test is meaningful ,because it deal with user's every day REALITY.

One more thing :me and every friend of mine that uses AMD processors ,want AMD to offer us ,the TOP cpu s .Of course I care for the price /performance ration, but the number one factor of choosing cpu is performance and superior design
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information