Increase font size
Topic Title: Opteron Clustering
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/03/2004 01:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/03/2004 01:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ruddykins

NOTE: in the following "fiber" may need to be replaced with your own custom fabric, if fiber is inadequate for the duties I describe.

What AMD needs to do to gain dominance:
Utilize the following technique in 2 ways - HT & PCI-Express
Abstract: Clustering of machines at the MOBO level (interconnect to interconnect) in 2 ways, HT (CPU/RAM portion) and PCI-Express connects

Application:
HT - design your MOBOs / MP arch to have external HT links to self-assemble a network of SMP CPUs into a machine cluster;

Example: Office has 15 machines, 10 of which are developers, well each machine would be "clustered" this way: the HT interconnects of each machine would be linked to an external port (fiber?). Then the office would buy a 16 or 20 port fiber switch, connect all machines, and a self-assembling cluster is formed that operates below the OS/app horizon. This would accelerate everything, harvesting wasted CPU cycles for compiling, dbase apps, etc. All "high powered" items would remain local (graphics, etc.)

This is the future of GRID applications/thin clients(localized cluster/server tech). This would be espically effective if every machine had dual core CPUs (at least)...

The fiber switch would actually be the cluster master, similar to how Firewall/routers are migrating (in SOHO enviornments) into print servers, file servers, Inet Proxy/Cache, DNS, etc. In the same way the switch could be configurable (suggest makeing the switch config access through TCP/IP EtherNet (100/1000, whatever) - this has the added benefit of keeping the cluster network seperated from the data (inter/intra-net) network.)

The data network would run on interconnect topologies. Since both HT & PCI-Express are both a serial, switched based tech, they should be compatible to run on the same network.

PCI-Express: minimal boxes with maybe a VIA-Eden (cypher abilities for VPN/SSL issues, low low power), and a HT link to the cluster for "heavier" apps, with a similar "PCI-Express" cluster link to link to a "shared" set of peripherals. EVERY PC (espically in business) DOSEN'T NEED A CDROM / DVDROM / BURNER / FLOPPY / SOUND, etc.

At the "External Port" point would be a switch chip of some type to interface both the HT traffic (obviously bulk/priority QoS to HT traffic) and PCI-Express traffic over the same fiber line. You could make 2 product lines: 1 GigE based, 1 fiber based...

IF the BIOS could handle a SHARED topology, it would be beautiful... for groups that needed sets of peripherals, they could be located, much as Network Printers are now, staggered through the workforce based upon need/demand, I'm even talking about boot over the network via this option.

USB and/or Bluetooth (wireless) would handle local connects (keyboard, mouse, etc.)

This would be attractive to business in so many ways: lower TOC, simplified OS driver set / profile config, lower power bills, better HR managment, less usr "distraction" on the PC (why won't my sound work? Can I have admin access?,etc.), etc.

I see potential for Thin Workstations to be integrated / modularized into the new "plastic" Organic (OLED) screens. -Cheaper -Power effecient -Takes up less physical room.

Imagine: A Flat screen built into the cube wall, and a port patch bay for the connections and/or wireless, bluetooth mice, keyboard...etc.

And, imagine developing a tech that can radiate the low amount of power to the devices (interchangable, self-assembling mini-bluetooth LANs for)...so no more battery replacements...

To "swap out" a mouse it to walk up, take the old one, and leave the new, and it would auto power up, configure, etc.

Anyway, I just had this idea, and there's no "Suggest an idea to AMD" link that I saw, so here you go.

If you need more details on my idea, or I wasn't clear, just drop me a line.
Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

-Chad Owens
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information