Increase font size
Topic Title: 15x50 PIC
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2004 10:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2004 10:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bluenandu

Hi,
I tried looking all over the AMD website so I could drop a suggestion of mine regarding the new 15x50 PIC but could not find anything but the forums. So I guess I can only wish someone higher up in AMD could hear me through this forum. I have lived in India for more than 18 years and I know very well what the people there want from firms like you. Sure, your move to come up with something cheap and effective as a PIC is a huge sigh of relief, however there are a few things I would like to address. Before I say anything else, let me say that I am not one of those die hard Linux fans who desperately wants Bill Gates to lose all his money. I just want your consumers to have a felexibility or rather a simple choice.
It is only the educated youngsters and a small bunch of executives that have some knowledge of computers and the know how of modern computers(which predominantly run on Windows). The number of middle class ordinary workers who have never touched a computer in their life before would easily touch a few tens of millions(if not more). I am sure you can further drop the price of the PIC by a few thousands of rupees(and still make profit) by making an alliance with linux based companies. Linux is getting just as user friendly as Windows is. You can hardly draw a line of difference when you are talking about the basic applications such as browsing, email, downloading or document viewing. I am sure your market potential will be a little more than 16.3 million households with a cheaper OS especially when u consider the fact that you(AMD) have the choice to decide which way you want your customers to adopt - The Windows way or the Linux way! Or, you could come up with both versions letting the customers decide what OS they would like to use rather than locking them up with just Windows. It will be a win-win situation for both AMD and its constomers.

-bluenandu
 10/28/2004 11:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ZapWizard

I agree that linux is a valuable OS, and I am sure someone will probably find a hack to install it on the PIC like nearly every device on the planet with any amount of CPU power.

"Optimized version of Microsoft® Windows® XC Operating System
Web Browser – Internet Explorer 6.0
Macromedia Flash Player 6
.pdf document viewer
Windows Media Player
Presentation viewer
Windows Messenger chat
Spreadsheet – document exchange with Microsoft Excel
Full-function word processor – document exchange with Microsoft Word
Image viewer – .jpg, .bmp, .png, and .gif filetypes
Zip/Unzip compression utility"

That is a lot of software on such a tiny and cheap device.
Aubuably Windows is more intuitive for beginners then many versions of linux, some do have an intuitive interface, but still have a very technical backend that would require experts to fix.

"To protect system integrity and help ensure trouble-free performance over time, the PIC is designed to limit the installation of additional software. Included on the platform are a special version of Microsoft® Windows® and peripheral driver software. Software upgrades can be performed by the Internet Service Provider."

It seems windows was choosen to aid in tech support and upgrades.

-------------------------
' ">http://www.ZapWizard.com
The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information