Increase font size
Topic Title: Persistant Topics Forum
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/25/2003 10:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/25/2003 10:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pcy

Persistant Topics Forum.

Basic idea:

We need a Forum for threads which remain relevant even though nobody adds replies to them.

Otherwise they just go down and down the list and nobody sees them.

The sort of thing I'm thinking of is troubleshhoting tips, FAQs etc, where the information remains relevant long after discussion ceases.

There is a suggestion in this Forum re FAQ, and the response is that there is a thread or forum somewhere called TroubleShooting which provides this faciltity. All I know is that I havn't noticed it; and I didn't see it when I did a search on "Troubleshooting".

We could call this Forum FAQ and Tips, or whatever.

This would be a forum that only Admin/Mods could post to. The threads would be constructed/edited from threads in other forums so each one just holds the key information on one specific topic. There should be relatively few such threads, so they would not disappear into history. They would be easy to find, and anybody could drop a link pointing at the relevant FAQ/Tips thread into threads in other forums rather than re-type the same information to each newbie who asks the same question.

Ideally, of course, the threads in it should be re-written as articles rather than as a discussion, but that's a lot more work. The kernal of this idea is that we use the existing structure to get this info available at the minimum initial effort.

To relieve workload on the Admin/Mods I suggest that the originator or principal contributor to a thread (or collection of threads) selected to become a Persistant Thread, should take on the editing task, and the Admin/Mods would approve it and insert it into the FAQ and Tips Forum.

I have done this before, using earlier versions fo the Forum software. It's easy enough, because each thread actually exists as a single file with the individual posts clearly separated, and just the poster, time and text for each post in it. All the formatting is done by the forum software... so you can edit the whole thread using Notepad.

Peter
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information