AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What happened to the old guides ?
Topic Summary: Technology Guides and Tips
Created On: 07/26/2007 04:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/26/2007 04:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

What exactly happened to the old guides from Technology Guides and Tips section ?
There were a few very good ones in there. Why were not they kept ?

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 07/26/2007 08:11 AM

Author Icon
TLH

I have no idea. Some did go missing during the move over from the old software and I know some were altered as pictures went missing in my Guide to Folding.

Maybe they just went missing like the rules.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 07/26/2007 09:30 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

A while back some one changed some of the software around here, what I bet happened is that they are still there, but you really need to dig deep to find them... the search function seems to be busted too, either it works or it's "carpet bombing" and it gives to many results...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

07/27/2007 12:11 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Yes, I've noticed that too.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 08/01/2007 05:07 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

What the.....My guide is gone I was going to update it with some more pictures of CPU removal and heatsink applications from my own FX-60. Now it's gone. MU_Engineer also supplimented it with his input for Linux OS systems. I mean what the heck is going on? We put a lot of time into it. I know I did, to help others out that upgrade their single-core to dual-core, or dual-core to quad-core CPU's. I figured doing this would help others if they wanted to tackle this themselves, something to turn to if they had some fear, uncertainty or doubt on doing this themselves. So now they are left with the FUD. Yeah, we can explain everytime someone posts, but that's on a per individual case. This way, it's pretyt much like self-help. Just kind of tees me off. And I know it was useful or at least it helped. Last time I was in there editing some typos I seen 1,100 views since I posted it about a month ago. Now I'll have to take the time out again and re-write a whole new one.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 08/12/2007 02:42 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

My overclocking guide and links are gone too.
I suppose I can repost it, since I still have a backup from when the forum changed software. (Thank goodness for Google's cached pages).

It's annoying that it's gone yet again.

Of course, if i repost it, the links pointing to it that are floating around the www won't work unless the url can be made to be the same that it is in my sig.

Is that possible?

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2

Edited: 08/12/2007 at 02:49 PM by zeppelinrox
 08/12/2007 03:23 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

good idea...be right back....

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

08/12/2007 03:49 PM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
Of course, if i repost it, the links pointing to it that are floating around the www won't work unless the url can be made to be the same that it is in my sig.
Is that possible?

Probably not. If you make a new post it'll automatically be assigned a new ID#.

In order to change it to the URL in your sig, you'd probably need to manually change the thread-ID# in the database which is beyond our (i.e. Moderators) powers.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 08/13/2007 08:25 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Guess no one "googled" my guide, so it's not cached. Anyways, I'll be upgrading RAM on the old FX-60 as the last upgrade for socket 939 for me. Going to DDR 250Mhz (PC-4000). I'll write the guide then and save a copy onto my flash drive and hard disk. Then, I'll take pictures and the sequence of events and upgrading will be fresh in my mind again. Thanks for helping us out in these tough times, moderators. It's a tough chore, no doubt, which you folks don't always get the credit, but the flack from us.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

08/14/2007 12:32 PM

Author Icon
TLH

Originally posted by: Greyhound

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox

Is that possible?

Probably not. If you make a new post it'll automatically be assigned a new ID#.

In order to change it to the URL in your sig, you'd probably need to manually change the thread-ID# in the database which is beyond our (i.e. Moderators) powers.

Even if we could do that we would need the original thread ID to be able to find it I would imagine. It would take ages to go through everything manually to locate it.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 08/14/2007 06:21 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Well the origial thread ID exists in my sig for my 2nd guide that went missing. So there's at least one step of the battle if anyone is interested in retrieving my missing guide.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

08/14/2007 06:58 PM

Author Icon
MikeB12

I'm not in any way affiliated here, but just from personal experience with phpbb and other forums I've been involved with admin functions, installing, repairing, maint, backups, restoring, etc...:

I'm pretty sure it's a little more complicated than just locating a cached page, simple because the page/thread doesn't exist anymore. Forum software generates these pages we're posting on through a database. The only way to get back a missing thread is to restore the database back to a known state. Which only happens in most cases after a crash and the whole forum goes down. It takes hours to restore, and then you lose everything that was posted from current time backwards to the restore point.

It would be nice if it was cached somewhere, the only problem is even if it is cached through the web on google's servers, etc..- when the user clicks on the cached page location through google or whoever, html it's still going to query the forum database to access the thread (which no longer exists as we all know). So you'll get the same message you get when you click Porsche's thread http://forums.amd.com/forum/me...id=87054&enterthread=y because it's gone. It may be in a backup if one was done after the post was entered and before it was deleted. But the only way to get it is to restore the database to that state, which will restore the forum to the restore point and lose everything from then until now.

That's just my understanding of it, and it sounded like there was some confusion. And my understanding may be waayyy offf... Just wanted to added a little note from my personal experiences with trying to maintain forums not affiliated here. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't, but I tried... Mike

*Q6600@3330mhz 1.35v - True120 | Abit IP35pro | 2x2GB Gskil | 2 x EVGA GTS 250- shader 1890 | Corsair HX520 | OCZ Vertex 60GB/Seagate 7200.11 500GB
*x4 810@3250mhz 1.32v - Xigmatek S1283 | MSI K9A2 CF-F 790X | 2x1GB Kingston HyperX | 2 x MSI GTS 250- shader 1890 | Antec EW 500
*Q6600@3330mhz 1.36v - Scythe Mugen | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L | 2x1GB Ballistx | XFX GTX 260 (192) shader 1512 | OCZ Stealth 500w
 08/14/2007 06:58 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

I'm not sure there'd be any way to do that other than to manually edit a few database tables. It'd probably not be that great of an idea anyway since the thread ID is probably a primary key or some other kind of identifying attribute that the database relies on to be unique. If you start hacking something like that by hand it can often cause a lot of weird problems.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 08/15/2007 06:11 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

I concur.
Lost topics could be manually added though.

08/19/2007 02:34 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

OK this is the second time my guide has been removed/deleted/lost of whatever you like to call it. It's not there anymore. My sig reflects where it should be. I spent the greater part of an afternoon writing this new comprehensive upgraded guide over the previous one. I even inluded many more pictures that are clear and easy to follow. The pictures showed actual AMD hardware such as CPU's, sockets, heatsinks and fans. I included AMD logos, warnings to use AMD certified heatsinks and fans. Detailed and clear steps to upgrade from single to X2 and X2 to X4 processor upgrade. I don't think it's funny to have my hard work for the community, that will benefit the community, deleted on a whim. I have no idea why it was deleted. I may be out of line now, but I have no idea why my guide would be objectional to AMD. It was posted in the Technology Guides and Tips section. Sounds like the appropiate place. Well that can't be the problem. Showcasing AMD products and logos? Maybe I wasn't authorised to do so, but since this IS an AMD site, and we are trying to help others use AMD products, inluding moving up to a better product the guide would be beneficial. An easy to read guide would help others curb the FUD around an upgrade and help them not consider the alternative? Or maybe you never thought about that? As for the moderating that foes around here, I am extremely appalled by it. I'm trying to help other have a great AMD expeience like I have and help them through the challenges I have faced. People helping people. That's what this forum is supposed to be about, or at least that's what it says on the main AMD page (or words to that effect). I'm seriously too worn out and tired now. Someone else can write a guide, or maybe never write one again for all I care. I'm done with this garbage.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Author Icon
Greyhound

We don't know why this is happening either, but rest assured that none of the moderating team deleted your post.

It's most likely some software-issue again, but as you may know fixing this is beyond our powers, unfortunately
We're trying to get this forwarded to the admins, but I can't promise anything right now.

For now, if you're going to make a post into which you put a lot of effort, like your guide, I strongly advise everyone to make a backup (just copy/paste into a .txt or .doc file and save somewhere on your HDD).
Also, I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience (and yes, we know there's lots) caused by the current forum software.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

OK, well sorry about the strong rant. Lack of sleep probably reflected that. It's a new day and I'll give it another whirl but also make a backup. If this one dissappears then I'll keep posting it back up till the system accepts it. If it is an Admin or "higher-power-that-be" removing it, they might as well comment now before I start posting it up again.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

08/20/2007 04:17 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

***** it! Now what am I gonna do about my Linux guide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *****. I put 6 months into that thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 08/21/2007 06:17 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

And you did not save it somewhere else ?

08/21/2007 01:09 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

We know (or at least I know) to save guides and large projects now. But it was always my understanding that people posting or saving to the net have stuff last longer than their own computer. I used to do this a lot when I was reformatting almost monthly back in the day. Saved from having expensive discs (at the time). Now it's easy to save to a flash drive or external hard drive or DVD-RW, plus they are cheap now. You just think whatever you post here (as long as it abides by the rules) should be here. Megadeth, myself and other's learned the hard way and know better now. It's still a fact though the servers need better uptime, bandwidth and storage control.

On a side note, my new guide is coming along. It's going to be pretty nice, but I have a medical problem and typing takes a very long time. I have CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) and no it's not from computers (but probably helped) but from my old seismic job which was extrememly strenous and repetative. So bear with me. Hopefully I'll have it done before Barcelona arrives, lol.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information