AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Suggestions to boost forum activity
Topic Summary: - maybe the current subforum headers could be reconsidered?
Created On: 10/04/2007 05:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/04/2007 05:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Stern63

While reading the thread suggesting a general chat function as a way to boost forum activity, I thought it could be a good idea to raise the question also of other possibilities to this end.

Much has been done lately to make the forum server respond quickly, this is very good and I have absolutely no complaints about this issue now. It works very good for me.

Perhaps the categories used for the subforums could be reconsidered. One important function of this forum is to be a place where you can find technical support for troubleshooting different kinds of problems.

Having spent some time here, I see a set of common problem catogories scattered across the current cpu-centered subforums, many of them quite systemic in character i.e. not cpu-specific:
- Overheating and cooling issues
- Noise issues, how to make the system more quiet
- Diagnosing random, weird or diffuse problems
- Power supply issues and questions

To me, these are some examples of categories that could be more useful to guide both information-seekers and contributors to subforums that are most interesting to them, making forum members and visitors gravitate around matters that really matter to the users: solving problems.

It is not uncommon that you post something in a cpu-specific thread only to find that the problem turn out to be only loosely connected with the actual cpu type, if connected at all.

If the problem is characterized as having to do with a certain cpu when it is in fact not connected, chances are that interested and able contributors cannot find and respond to the post in time for the help-seeker to stay at the forum and perhaps become an active member later on.

As an example, I recently posted a question in the Opteron troubleshooting thread that most likely will show to have nothing to do with this particular cpu. I didn't know that when I asked the question, this is since the problem occurred in connection to the upgrade to this Opteron cpu. Consequence: very few answers received, which is not so strange since I'm primarily addressing people with experience of Opteron cpus.

Categories are important, they must reflect the reasons people would like to dive into them in order to be really useful.

Edited: 10/04/2007 at 05:44 PM by Stern63
 10/05/2007 02:09 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Indeed. Categories should be problem-orientated, not CPU-type orientated.

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 10/05/2007 03:15 AM

Author Icon
action man

i believe that would make the forum too cluttered.

you can post issues in the relevant forum for your system and you will pretty much get a helpful set of responses pretty quick.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 10/05/2007 12:09 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Having those "Dots" back that indicate which topic you posted in would be nice too, when it comes to the actual support forums, I often forget just which ones Ive posted in.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 10/05/2007 12:15 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

i say trash fuse talk all together but that's just me.

No advertising. Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising.
 10/05/2007 01:12 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Originally posted by: CharlieIsComing
but that's just me.

no its not

10/05/2007 09:19 PM

Author Icon
Stern63

One foreseeable "problem" with a problem-oriented approach of forum organization would be the fact that many non-amd system owners would pose questions of iterest to solve common issues.

Question: is this really a potential problem to bother about?

We don't think so. On the contrary...
 10/05/2007 09:30 PM

Author Icon
Stern63

PS. Sorry if I burst bubbles but AMD-equipped systems are quite similar to Intel-equipped systems... same issues and troubles. That is why I think the current cpu fixation is non-productive.
 10/18/2007 09:19 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

I agree with the "it'd be too cluttered". The AMD Game forum has half a million sub forums and it strikes me as absolutely horrendous. But that's just me.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 10/23/2007 06:03 PM

Author Icon
Max Payne

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

Originally posted by: CharlieIsComing

but that's just me.

no its not

x2. This new forum was a terrible idea. I was never a heavy poster but I did participate. These days it just isn't the same.

Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings but the new provider just plain sucks. I just love the avatar selection. Might as well join anandtech.

Opteron 185 @ 3ghz. | 2 gig Muskin redline DDR 500<br>A8R32-MVP Deluxe | X1800XT Crossfired<br>Soundblaster X-Fi 64 | Enermax Liberty 620 watt PSU<br>Liteon DVD and DVDRW/Combo | SyncMaster 930B<br>Other BS that just kind of orbits the Rig.
 10/24/2007 03:58 AM

Author Icon
Max Payne

I'll not be back until you get rid of this awful forum server. I will also not buy another piece of AMD/ATI crap until you get rid of this crap.

You think it is funny? Laugh about this. Intel core 2 duo. nvidia 8800gts.

Keep laughing, the joke is on you!

Opteron 185 @ 3ghz. | 2 gig Muskin redline DDR 500<br>A8R32-MVP Deluxe | X1800XT Crossfired<br>Soundblaster X-Fi 64 | Enermax Liberty 620 watt PSU<br>Liteon DVD and DVDRW/Combo | SyncMaster 930B<br>Other BS that just kind of orbits the Rig.
 10/24/2007 06:40 AM

Author Icon
action man

ermm ok...

the door is that way. dont let it hit you on the arse on the way out..

lol i mean is anyone daft enough to embargo a product merely because they dont like the software the support forum uses? thats just stupid .. i dunno, some people eh isgust;

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 11/04/2007 03:00 PM

Author Icon
N1NJA

Such a shame this site is so lacking now. It used to be the best tech forum on the Internet, bar none, but the magic is absolutely gone. OK, so it's only a forum, but we had an incredible community here a few years ago and honestly it makes me sad to see it now. It's like visiting a house you used to live in but finding that it's been burned down.

Why the change of forum software? I guess there were reasons for it, but FuseTalk is terrible. Bring back Invision! The links at the sides -- what a mess!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information