AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Classifieds
Topic Summary: why dont we have a Classifieds section?
Created On: 12/05/2007 04:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/05/2007 04:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MrHyde03
Code Monkey

This could help new-comers and others build a system for a whole lot less than retail.
there are a LOT of people who would like to sell stuff and there are probably even more who would like to buy used parts for a cheap upgrade.
I think this is a great idea. It could possibly even help bring more traffic to the forums thus putting the AMD further out there.

what do you all think?
if NO then please give a reason.

-------------------------
Desktop - Windows 7 x86 RTM
Laptop - Windows 7 x64 RTM
The good ol days
CSF www.compsupportforums.com

Edited: 12/05/2007 at 04:36 PM by MrHyde03
 12/05/2007 05:55 PM

Author Icon
TLH

No advertising. Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising. Although there are times when a link to another site is necessary for helping or answering a question, AMD reserves the right to determine what is and is not advertising. This is not your personal "for sale" board to advertise items.

Apart from it being against the rules we've never had a section for this and I don't feel we need one now. This is a support forum when all is said and done. There are plenty of other places out there to buy cheap parts from.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 12/05/2007 06:23 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

If someone posted "I'm looking for a used Athlon X2" is that against the rules? It's not advertising, but looking for. Maybe a wanted section is good or no? I'm not saying I have anything to sell or looking, but I'm curious becasue this does come up from time to time and I don't feel like making waves...though I'm sure I've made a few ripples, maybe even with this post...

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 12/05/2007 11:23 PM

Author Icon
MrHyde03
Code Monkey

well im not trying to be a pain..
but just a question and a thought.
i know its against the rules and all, but, would it really hurt?

The good ol days

Edited: 12/05/2007 at 11:23 PM by MrHyde03
 12/06/2007 08:21 AM

Author Icon
TLH

You're not being a pain, the feedback forum is for asking questions like this.

AMD sets the policies here. As a retailer of new cpu's why would they want to make the forum a venue for selling secondhand ones?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 12/06/2007 12:09 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

b/c for one they don't have a huge surplus of older stuff ie socket A but some others on here might. they could help the fan base out.
2) it helps sells in the long run if you can keep people interested in amd products if someone needs something they can't find retail this would be a great way for amd to get some secondhand stuff out that is quality and not ebay junk.

No advertising. Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising.
 12/06/2007 03:54 PM

Author Icon
MrHyde03
Code Monkey

Originally posted by: TLH
You're not being a pain, the feedback forum is for asking questions like this.

AMD sets the policies here. As a retailer of new cpu's why would they want to make the forum a venue for selling secondhand ones?

Originally posted by: CharlieIsComing

b/c for one they don't have a huge surplus of older stuff ie socket A but some others on here might. they could help the fan base out.

2) it helps sales in the long run if you can keep people interested in amd products if someone needs something they can't find retail this would be a great way for amd to get some secondhand stuff out that is quality and not ebay junk.

charlie pretty much summed up what i've been trying to say.
it keeps AMDs name out.. and people can see that older AMD products can still perform very well considering age and they will realize the quality that AMD has to offer.
it really isn't a bad idea for AMD at all. more traffic that flows through these forums, the more people will hear about AMDs new products, the more informed the public will be.
a win/win situation

The good ol days

Edited: 12/06/2007 at 03:55 PM by MrHyde03
 12/06/2007 04:39 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

That's exactly what they do at Porsche. Even why they foot the bill on my 15 year old car at the time. They want to keep their cars on the road. People see them and go, wow, a 15 year old car still doing well. Smae goes for BMW offering fre washes. They want their cars to look good on the road so people will more than likely see a nice clean BMW and go, hmmm...everyone has a clean BMW around here, I should find out why.

I have my old Thunderbird kicking around, and people come over and ask about it and play with it and say how much? It's not for sale, it's my old backup computer I tell them. How old? And then I tell them. They are shocked. I'm working on their not so old Pentium and this old Thunderbird is still doing everything theirs does. At least that's how they look at it. Most people buying a computer aren't going to look at a benchmark and pour over specs all day. If they can get a computer that is reliable and works, they are happy. Heck, even an older 939 system is an upgrade to someone using a Pentium and I can still tote power savings and greater performance, even though it's an obsolete platform. Then they find out it's an AMD processor. What's AMD? I can show them the AMD main website and they see Bee movie, X-Box, HDTV, cellphones (yes some of it is ATI tech) but then they can start associating brand recognition. At that point I can get a lot of the customers to seriously consider AMD and even have them asking questions about an AMD system without me having to push AMD on them.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/06/2007 04:51 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

i seriously don't understand why amd stopped making 939 cpu's they are more common than am2 at this point they should be making crazy ammounts of dual core 939 cpu's they would bank. you see how many people are on single core 939 wanna upgrade but can't b/c they are too hard to find. or like me that has the best single core proc im not paying 230 for an opty i can get a board, ram, and proc am2 set up cheaper. and yes i do know it will be less power than what i have but it will be a newer platform with some leaway. ok enough rambling. i think the for sale threads are great

No advertising. Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising.
 12/06/2007 05:41 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

They don't have the fabs. It's a luxury Intel can afoord, not AMD.They just killed of the 939 fab for Opterons a little while ago and I'm guessing probably retool for 45nm. Makes sense anyways, why go to 65nm for only a short bit?

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/06/2007 07:50 PM

Author Icon
MrHyde03
Code Monkey

Originally posted by: PorscheRacer14
That's exactly what they do at Porsche. Even why they foot the bill on my 15 year old car at the time. They want to keep their cars on the road. People see them and go, wow, a 15 year old car still doing well. Smae goes for BMW offering fre washes. They want their cars to look good on the road so people will more than likely see a nice clean BMW and go, hmmm...everyone has a clean BMW around here, I should find out why.

very good analogy. people will see old AMD products still kickin and that will send the message of "AMD Products last a long time". isn't that what AMD wants they're reputation to be? a long lasting, strong, reliable product?

Originally posted by: CharlieIsComing

i seriously don't understand why amd stopped making 939 cpu's they are more common than am2 at this point they should be making crazy ammounts of dual core 939 cpu's they would bank. you see how many people are on single core 939 wanna upgrade but can't b/c they are too hard to find. or like me that has the best single core proc im not paying 230 for an opty i can get a board, ram, and proc am2 set up cheaper. and yes i do know it will be less power than what i have but it will be a newer platform with some leaway. ok enough rambling. i think the for sale threads are great

that is exactly why there should be a classifieds subforum. people who want to stay AMD but cannot afford to throw 700-1000 on a new setup would benefit GREATLY.

The good ol days

Edited: 12/06/2007 at 07:51 PM by MrHyde03
 12/06/2007 09:45 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

yeah, but they'd rather have them buy the new stuff in the stores. That way AMD makes money. AMD doesn't make money on a second sale of a CPU. If anything board and RAM manufacturers do. I'm just looking at it from their perspective also on this. There's two sides to the dollar.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/06/2007 09:49 PM

Author Icon
MrHyde03
Code Monkey

AMD also doesnt make any money if the ones who want the old tech cant afford to buy the new tech.... hence the reason they want the older tech.

The good ol days
 12/07/2007 08:07 AM

Author Icon
MikeB12

This is a great idea and nice discussion with valid points and everything, but you really think AMD will allow a for sale section on company sponsored forums. even if a rogue mod went and created it, as soon as someone upstairs caught onto it they'd axe it and spank the mod... I've allowed forsale subs on a motorcycle forum I helped admin, only to regret it later.. invariably someone rips someone off, or someone is not satisfied with the what they paid for, slow shipping, arguments, basic handling of the sale, etc.. and then they try to pull mods and admins into it to get satisfaction. next thing you know the argument gets dragged into the other forums, and wahla, it's a mess..

xs has a for sale section, that place gets mad traffic compared to here if you wanna sell (min 100 posts to see) http://www.xtremesystems.org/f...forumdisplay.php?f=89

also there are other auction lists similar to ebay with user rating available so you know who you're half way dealing wiith.

also, what's to stop us from posting something we want to sell in the existing forums here and just communicating through PM's for details or whatever after it's posted. thread might get deleted, but it'll most likely be up long enough to get some traffic.

but for me, if I was gonna sell something, I'd use ebay... that way I can maximize my return.. more users = more bids = higher sell price.

not trying to debunk the idea here. just some realistic viewpoints is all. nice idea and nice effort, just doesn't look like it's gaining or will gain any ground in acceptance from the owners of the forum.

*Q6600@3330mhz 1.35v - True120 | Abit IP35pro | 2x2GB Gskil | 2 x EVGA GTS 250- shader 1890 | Corsair HX520 | OCZ Vertex 60GB/Seagate 7200.11 500GB
*x4 810@3250mhz 1.32v - Xigmatek S1283 | MSI K9A2 CF-F 790X | 2x1GB Kingston HyperX | 2 x MSI GTS 250- shader 1890 | Antec EW 500
*Q6600@3330mhz 1.36v - Scythe Mugen | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L | 2x1GB Ballistx | XFX GTX 260 (192) shader 1512 | OCZ Stealth 500w
 12/07/2007 01:00 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Yeah, I sold my 4200+, my Kingston PC3200 2x1GB ValueRAM kit and both my X1600Pros on e-Bay and I've always gotten much more than I wanted or expected. And that was only having it available to ship in Canada. So I didn't have to go through all that customs stuff becasue of Homeland Security to ship to the USA. But yeah, the PM way has worked before and suffices. Plus e-Bay offers the seller and buyer protection. I'm not saying anyone here would rip somone off, but if someone takes a working CPU out and selsl it on here and then the buyer goes to install the CPU and it's DOA, it'll cause a raucus even if all intents were honest.

The only way to do it is use a standardized bill of sale for the buyer and seller, and the buyer would have to post pics of the CPU with clear serial numbers so they'd match up to the buyer. Whcih would in effect pretty much make it like e-Bay but without the protection.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Edited: 12/07/2007 at 01:03 PM by PorscheRacer14
 12/08/2007 12:17 AM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Personally I would like to have a for sale section.
Every point brought up is true, for and against.

Ultimately though after considering it from all sides, I think that if someone is using the forum, then they are DIY types and if there was ONLY AMD equipment available here then considering the DIY factor, eventually they are going to end up buying new hardware from AMD.
I started off with AMD 5X86 133mhz cpus and I have bought many many used AMD processors, each time I buy a new to me platform I love it and then I start looking at the next platform. And on and on. Now I have bought many new AMD CPUs just through the upgrade process.
The more people going through the upgrade process the more CPUs AMD will sell.

If I could get rid of several of my 939 cpus then I would be buying an AM2 system, new from AMD

Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 12/08/2007 01:00 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Maybe if we sign an affidavit that we'll buy a new AMD processor/motherboard with said money?

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/08/2007 02:12 AM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

It could be part of the agreement like an EULA that you have to agree to before you can continue!!

Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 12/09/2007 11:15 PM

Author Icon
MrHyde03
Code Monkey

I don't think it would be a good idea to have to sign an affidavit because what if something comes up and you wont be able to purchase another CPU? then you'd be screwed..
but seems like this isnt going to get anywhere...

The good ol days
 12/10/2007 12:17 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Oops, i fogot the sarcasm smiley. There are valid reasons for both sides, so as it stands now, is probably how it stays. No 'classifieds' or even a 'wanted' sub-section.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information