Topic Title: HD 7000 series graphic problem
Topic Summary: 3 month long study of flickering
Created On: 07/28/2012 07:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/05/2012 04:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

One thing is really strange and I cannot find an answer... the flickering - seems exactly same as with GPU which is too overlocked - is slowly becoming less and less  visible...

Edit:
I also installed Starcraft II and Deus EX: Human revolution. Both games seems flawless.

-------------------------

Xeon X3360, Asus Rampage, Gigabyte HD 7970OC, Corsair HX-650

Edited: 09/06/2012 at 04:17 PM by Offler
 09/07/2012 03:52 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

I have decided to re-check the thermal solution of my card, so i removed the cooler from it and changed the termal compound. I suspected that there was air bubble somewhere between GPU and cooler. (local overheating can cause such artifacts too, but thermal sensor may show normal temps). I was shocked when I realized that Gigabyte did not checked the cooler during RMA.

As a result the temperature of GPU core went down 8 °C in  burn.

With some BETA drivers there were few artifacts still visible during first day, with the newest available from 12.8 there was no issue observed yet. (gamemplay < 1 hour).

Generally:
- Because the artifacting was decreasing over time its possible it has something to do with physical environment or cooling solution - the thermal compounds need time...
- there is surely secondary factor in driver and used software (3d engines)

One of those factors can create barely visible artifacts, but both at the same time multiplied them...

09/10/2012 02:10 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

No flickering last few days.

1. I was not playing Civilization IV.
2. WoT displayed few artifacts even after fixing the cooler, bur next day it was fine.
3. Starcraft II and Deus EX: Human Revolution are still OK.

09/16/2012 06:59 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

So, after some time the artifacts did not change at all. Still visible only in some games. I tried also to remove all hardware and re-test the game, different frequencies, but no change.

09/24/2012 09:10 PM

Author Icon
Brokengame
n00b

*sigh* i share your issue since months now too. I reported the issue over and over again, i even replaced my card 3 times and the issue is still the same. Im really disapointed that nothing and nobody seems to help with that issue. 

I even bought a new PSU and new ram but it didn't change anything. My old 460 still works fine. I really don't know what else i can do. Except getting a Nvidia as soon as possible.

Edited: 09/24/2012 at 09:17 PM by Brokengame
 09/28/2012 09:42 AM

Author Icon
asciikode
n00b

You arn't the only one having this issue.

Check the threads here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368290

and here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1718916

If the symptoms of your issue look like the youtube videos on these threads, welcome to the club of people with 79xx cards that are seeing flickering black triangles.

10/01/2012 05:31 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Thanks for the Info.

My HD 7870 is currently on RMA again. I will inform them about this. Still I am not convinced that its hardware related even when the symptoms looks like this.

10/09/2012 11:52 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Finally I got reference from other users of HD7000...

They run the graphics without any trouble - no artifacts at all.

In my case it seems that the GPU had trouble running on low power mode. Artifacts can be trigerred by:

Civilization IV (as the game runs on low power mode)
Video content

any game when GPU and/or memory underclocks.

10/17/2012 06:11 PM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

RMA of my HD 7870 was sucessfull. Now I have Sapphire HD 7970.

However the problems still persist.  currently testing 12.9 beta.

And for your info:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368290&page=10

Definitely NOT a hardware issue.

10/21/2012 03:31 AM

Author Icon
korniits
n00b

Hello! I Have a Gigabyte HD 7850 OC 2GB. I was having the same problem with flickering,but it can be repaired using a DVI cable. (Not a DVI to VGA Adapter) So flickering was gone and i was happy,but another problem acured. I have tthe system freezes with sound loop while playing games with good quality. (NFS Shift and others). I also readed a lots of forums and i have learned that every 7850 or 78xx/79xx owner has THE SAME PROBLEMS! And IT IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE! So AMD,please do something. The cards are available from march 20,but now is october 21! It's a 6 months of problems and no FIX! Some people posted in russian forums,the problem can be repaired by using HDMI connection.. But that i think is not the right fix,i payed for the card,so i MUST work properly.

My PC. 

CPU  Intel Core i3 3220 Ivy Bridge

MB MSI Z77A-G43

RAM Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 XMP 1600mhz

PSU Fortron Hexa 500W

HDD WD Caviar Green 500GB Sata3

GPU Gigabyte HD 7850 OC 2GB - Performance is very good,but please DO A FIX TO CRITICAL BUGS!

Edited: 10/21/2012 at 07:09 AM by korniits
 10/22/2012 05:58 PM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Hi. Currently I have heard a lot of reports from everywhere so lets begin:

1. There were problems with some types of connection. Mostly the problem was with multimonitor settings. In this case HDMI may help.

2. I owned 2 HD7xx0 cards. To distinquish whether yours is fine you can do this:
- Play Starcraft II. Last versions seems to be aware of this graphics. For some weeks the game seems to run properly.
- Try some stress tests such as OCCT or Furmark. They report errors only when graphic hardware is really broken.

3. Certain games have trouble.
It may vary from engine to engine - games which ran properly on HD5000 or 6000 seems to have troube with HD7000 series.

Mostly is reported black flickering which seems more like a hardware issue, but its not true.

10/22/2012 06:13 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-11-beta-3-9-01-8

FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE AMD CATALYST 12.11 BETA DRIVER:

This driver introduces significant performance improvements for many games across ALL 28nm AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series products: HD 7700, HD7800 and HD7900 products. Note: .netframework 4 must be installed for these drivers.

Performance Highlights of the AMD CATALYST 12.11 BETA Driver

• 10%-15% more performance in Battlefield 3 in most cases.More than 20% in certain missions and sequences (Comrades)
  • Up to 7% more performance in Metro 2033
  • Up to 10% more performance in DIRT Showdown
  • Up to 8% more performance in Sleeping Dogs
  • Up to 12% more performance in Civilization V
  • Up to 10% more performance in StarCraft II
  • Up to 8% more performance in Sniper Elite: V2

Resolved issue highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 12.11 Beta

• Resolves performance issues (where GPU activity runs at lower values than expected) seen on the AMD Radeon HD 7870
  • AMD Catalyst Mobility 7970M performance for AMD Enduro™ Technology supported platforms has been substantially improved for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications. An updated driver for 7970M users featuring AMD Enduro™ Technology with additional DirectX 9 performance improvements will be released soon.
    • 3DMark Vantage – Up to 15%
    • 3DMark 11 – Up to 12%
    • AvP – Up to 11%
    • Battlefield 3 – Up to 25%
    • Crysis 2: Up to 45%
    • DiRT Showdown – Up to 62%
    • ETQW – Up to 8%
    • Hard Reset – Up to 8%
    • Just Cause 2 – Up to 90%
    • The Chronicles of Riddick – Up to 4%
    • Shogun 2 – Up to 56%
    • Sniper Elite V2 – Up to 60%
    • Tom Clancy’s HAWX – Up to 56%
    • Unigine Heaven – Up to 33%
    • Wolfenstein – Up to 9%

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/23/2012 03:16 AM

Author Icon
    Offler
    Grinding Levels

Some good news for AMD developers. Flickering typical for  HD 7000 is NOT present in:

Deus EX: Human Revolution
    3dmark2003
    OCCT
    MSI Kombustor

No longer present in:
    Starcraft II (driver, game patch unknown, I just havent seen any trouble few weeks).
    World of tanks (with "Enhanced" graphics, Patch 0.8.0, still testing)

Still Present in:
    Witcher 2 "Enhanced edition" (latest patch) - Repeatable
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Repeatable
    Civilization IV - Not repeatable

World of tanks:
    Displayed random black flicker or random texture corruption and blinking until patch  0.8.0. When "Enhanced graphics" is enabled those trouble are gone. Most probably "Enhanced graphics" just means DX10+ support.

Tested on all Catalysts 12.3 - 12.11Beta

Witcher 2:
    Start a new game. Move your character near the tent on the left. Turn the camera view closer to the tent. The witcher's hair start to flicker - parts of underlying hair textures are suddenly visible. Also some parts of the tent where you started start to display black flicker.

This happens on default catalyst settings (or any other), on any game details. 

Tested on Catalysts 12.9 BETA, 12.10 and 12.11

Skyrim:
    When ANY human character became transparent it skin start to flicker. Rest of game is flawless. I also admit - I need to update the game...

Does not reflect game or catalyst settings. Present on all settings. Tested since 12.3 until 12.11 Beta.

Civilization IV:
    After some time the game shows black flickering. Random time. The test with logout/login windows still shows black corruption of the "logoff' image. Not present if the game did not run. Indicates software issue which is resolved once logged off. Also I can only say that the issue is slowly becoming less visible. Still

All games were tested independently on Gigabyte HD 7870 OC (even on default clocks), Gigabyte HD 7970 OC (also underclocked to default), Sapphire HD 7970 (I had it just for one day) and with HD 3870x2.

Each bug reported here was present on any HD 7000, and not was present on HD 3870x2  (Catalysts 9.6, 10.6).

Currently it seems that games which are running low detailed graphics or are not supporting DX10+ have some trouble... Also higher occurence was reported on OpenGL games. For this reason i will also test game Prey which is based on Doom3 engine.

Random, but almost undetectable corruption was present in Unigine Heaven. Probably only as a result of running other app which causes trouble.

Current feedback to 12.11 BETA:
     Smoother feeling in Witcher 2 and World of tanks.

Edited: 10/23/2012 at 04:12 AM by Offler
     10/23/2012 02:27 PM

Author Icon
    korniits
    n00b

FurMark 15 min test on 1080p no errors. I encreased my voltage in CCC +15% and the card seems to work stable. No freezing with sound loop til now. I will run Dirt3,people says it freezes very much.

P.S.  Thx for info Offler. If hear something about freezing with sound loop,plz tell me.

10/23/2012 05:54 PM

Author Icon
    Offler
    Grinding Levels

So I have tested Prey. Game itself runs smoothly without any trouble but... During change of resolution and after end of the game the system flickers really badly. After the game its needed to shutdown the system.

Edit: After patching to last version 1.4 the game was running fine and no trouble at all when leaving the game.

Edited: 10/23/2012 at 06:25 PM by Offler
     10/24/2012 06:57 AM

Author Icon
    Nichtswisser
    Grinding Levels

Had the same problem with my old Sapphire 7950 OC. After trying pretty much anything I could think of, I had enough and returned the card to get my money back. I don't pay so much money to view artifacts having a flicker-party on my monitor! Things I tried:

- Different Driver Versions (with clean install and everything)

- Different clock speeds (over- and underclocking)

- Different voltages

- Different settings (AA/AF and so on)

Nothing made a difference to the flickering and the temps never reached above 65° so it surely wasn't an overheating issue either. I clearly noticed the problem in Europa Universalis 3 and Skyrim. I think I noticed it in some other games too yet I'm not totally sure about that. Those artifacts can be hard to detect especially in darker games and human perception is not an exact tool to measure things, far from it. In Skyrim it often happens when being close to geometry objects like tree branches, for a split second they appear in the wrong place which causes the flickering. Places with moving watter in Skyrim also seem to have a higher chance that flickering occurs. And it's not the game since my old 5850 has no such issues with the same driver under similar conditions. Infact I used that card for almost 3 years without any such issues.

PS: The Heaven Benchmark is another issue not related, what looks like artifacts in Heaven aren't really artifacts, or maybe they are, yet they aren't caused by GPU or driver but my the benchmark itself. When rotating around that, whatever it is, the camera simply moves through the fence around it which causes those glitches. They happen no matter what GPU you use! Not sure why they haven't fixed that a long time ago since it probably caused a lot of false alarms.

PPS: The Problem seems to be rather widespread:

- HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368290

- AMD 7000 series flickering/artifacts issue, any known fixes?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/374676-15-7000-series-flickering-artifacts-issue-fixes

- Sapphire 7950 OC artifact flickers problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8v1P850ak

- 7xxx series artifacts/flickering poll

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=369464

- Sapphire HD 7950 Dual-X Visual Artifacts

http://www.sapphireforum.com/showthread.php?29337-Sapphire-HD-7950-Dual-X-Visual-Artifacts

- Grundsätzlicher Catalyst Bug bei 7000er Karten? Flackernde Texturen, Artefakte etc.

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=534238

There are lots of similar complains around the net yet very disconnectet so AMD seams to have just ignored the issue so far. The fact that overclocking can cause similar issues does not help.

i5 2500k @ 4,2 GHz ][ ASUS P8P67 Pro ][ HD 5850 ][ 8GB Ram GEIL ][ ASUS Xonar DX

Edited: 10/24/2012 at 09:31 PM by Nichtswisser
     10/24/2012 01:15 PM

Author Icon
    Offler
    Grinding Levels

I believe I can distinguish the trouble with the HD 7000 in four degrees.

1. The flickering is triggered with a game/app. Every other application, including Windows GUI is afterwards affected by this as well, unless you reboot the PC.

This is case of Prey in version 1.0

2. The flickering is triggered or more visible on certain parts of the game, when certain requirements are met (eg. some object becomes transparent, or when you close with camera view to some objects), or is visible only on some objects (such as Witchers hair, or torches in Skyrim few versions ago)

This is case of Witcher 2, Skyrim

3. The flickering appears and disappears randomly during game and amount of artifacts is accumulating, dissapears after the restart of the game or system.

Civilization 4, World of Tanks before patch 0.8.0

4. Game/engine has no visible flickering

Deus EX: HR, Starcraft II, Prey ver 1.4, OCCT, MSI kombustor, Furmark and similar.

Problem with type 3 is that it looks exactly like problem with graphics due incorrect overclocking, overheating or bad hardware... The best thing you can do is to retest it with different graphics and/or use apps from 4th group...

10/24/2012 09:36 PM

Author Icon
    Nichtswisser
    Grinding Levels

Today I noticed the same flashing glitches with my new HIS 7970GHz Edition that came yesterday. I even noticed flashes when just browsing the web with Firefox. First the Sapphire 7950 OC and now this card. I've had enough, the card goes back tomorrow morning. It's probably worth repeating that those artifacts appear to be identical to those caused when overclocking the GPU to far, which most overclockers should know quite well. Thus they are probably also the result of the card making wrong calculations either because of GPU errors or memory data corruption. At least those are my current thought on the issues since giving it a lot of thought this morning. Only difference I see is that increasing voltages or decreasing clocks does not do anything, so too high clocks/ low voltages aren't the issue here. It must be either the driver or the hardware which is faulty and scrambles things up.

Those are the 2 best videos I found so far showing the issue (and yes those look precisly like overclocking artefacts, yet they aren't):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8v1P850ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RScSvhVRSfk&feature=vmdshb

Another good video I just found and a longer thread @ anandtech.com

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2264583

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIPLrkozKoA

i5 2500k @ 4,2 GHz ][ ASUS P8P67 Pro ][ HD 5850 ][ 8GB Ram GEIL ][ ASUS Xonar DX

Edited: 10/24/2012 at 10:43 PM by Nichtswisser
     10/25/2012 09:21 AM

Author Icon
    Offler
    Grinding Levels

Yes this is very typical. Ocurred only with HD 7000 graphics (regardless if its 7870, 7970), but when I use any other graphic hardware these flickers are not visible.

For this reason I have here HD 3870x2 where these flickers are simply not visible and this allows me to test it.

10/25/2012 02:30 PM

Author Icon
    Nichtswisser
    Grinding Levels

I sent the 7970 back this morning. For the moment I'm using my old 5850 again which served me well for almost 3 years now and which has no flockering issues. So yes, the problem is HD 7xxx only.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Radeon™ Graphics » HD 7000 series graphic problem

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
    Topic Tools Topic Tools
    Statistics
    84840 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
    There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.