Topic Title: HD 7000 series graphic problem
Topic Summary: 3 month long study of flickering
Created On: 07/28/2012 07:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/01/2012 05:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Witcher 2 Enhanced edition

I found an information that using Catalyst 12.4 can solve some trouble. The game itself shows two types of flickering.

a) Repeatable
These are visible for example on witchers hair when the camera is close enough

b) Random
They look exactly like flicker caused by overclocking too much.

I have recently installed Catalyst 12.4.. After some quick test i can confirm that random flickering is not visible in this game. I have version for Win7 x64.

EDIT: 
 I reinstalled back driver 9.2.0.0 and flickering appeared again.

-------------------------

Xeon X3360, Asus Rampage, Gigabyte HD 7970OC, Corsair HX-650

Edited: 11/01/2012 at 08:57 AM by Offler
 11/02/2012 10:19 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Ok, I have retested drivers from Catalyst 12.10 and Catalyst 12.4.

Driver was installed/changed manually while CCC was from package 12.4

Witcher2 - After few minutes of gameplay with driver from 12.10 flicker may appear. With driver from 12.4 is everything fine.

Notes: Game designers put in FAQ info that forced antialiasing on AMD gpu may cause graphic corruption. I verified twice that its disabled in catalyst.

World of Tanks patch 0.8.1:
Again random flicker in 12.10, and no flicker in 12.4

Skyrim:
Exactly same as in Witcher 2 - random flicker may appear with driver from 12.10, no flicker in 12.4. Repeatable glitches remained same.

11/03/2012 02:08 AM

Author Icon
gh0st47
Nerfed

I have the similar problem.....just got my new PC 2 weeks ago , 13 October 2012 , well same as with my card of course.

Sapphire HD 7870 2GB OC , I5 3550 , Asus P8Z77-M , 8GB Kingmax 1333mhz , 620W 

NO OC on GPU / RAM at all , all DEFAULT,

Latest BIOS , latest AMD Driver 12.10 , Windows , Direct-X are all up to date , getting this flickering graphic in Skyrim , i tried lowering graphics , max it , nothing works. 

Seems some people  claim its the AMD Driver problem since 12.10 they said no fix in 12.11 BETA either. Some said even in 12.8 they have this problem.

I recall my old PC , Sapphire HD 5830 , is 12.8 , i didn't have this problem
( I htink its 12.8 driver not confirm )  

My PC problem / AMD.

Not to mention there is a BIG PROBLE with all HD 7870 i heard. AMD got a bad batch of capacitor or something. So all HD 7870 will cause Black Screen and a Buzzing Sound.

I got it on Diablo3 , but so far not on any other games. Seriously starting to question AMD products now. Thinking on moving to Nvidia if possible.

Black Screen + Buzzing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8erBOaOBck 

Freeze + Buzzing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJG3NIOK-70 

11/03/2012 06:27 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

I never had black screen+buzzing sound problem. one friend of mine resolved that problem by updating his board´s bios.

Try update the mainboard bios and use Catalyst 12.4 and then check the flicker again.

11/03/2012 10:36 AM

Author Icon
gh0st47
Nerfed

My Mobo its up to date,  because when i get it they already updated the BIOS to the latest to support Windows 8 

The Black Screen problem its all over the internet here read them this is just some of it

http://www.techpowerup.com/174858/Some-Sapphire-Radeon-HD-7870-Cards-Affected-by-quot-Black-Screen-quot-Issue.html

I didn't try reverting back to 12.4 , i mean why i want to do that , i mean the laterr drivers versions will performa better by reverting to older driver which means its just restraining my GPU ,if taht's the only means of fixing this issue.

In that case as i mention , i would have better off with Nvidia card. Basically AMD is chasing always his customers or i guess we are just
" home users " and AMD couldn't care less about losing our business since we barely change our PC that much ?? 

This problem its all over the internet , its not just Sapphire cards.

Some of my friends are Asus and Gigabyte too are affected with Black Screen + Buzzing.

For the part about Skyrim that could be AMD Driver hope there be a fix soon which i doubted it , since people reported even on 12.11 BETA isn't fix yet but they said 12.8 its running ok.

If you ask me AMD really have competition now , before Nvidia cards are more expensive TBH , lately their prices has drop too.

I can get a MSI 660 non TI , 2GB , OC and its even slightly cheaper than my Sapphire HD 7870 2GB OC , but it able to match up the HD 7870 and sometimes even beating it !

Also Sapphire is the CHEAPEST brand for AMD cards. Another thing is that this Sapphire HD 7870 i bought has been through an offer , if not its as expensive as the GTX 660 TI version ! 

11/03/2012 02:24 PM

Author Icon
Ushen
n00b

Originally posted by: gh0st47  I didn't try reverting back to 12.4 , i mean why i want to do that , i mean the laterr drivers versions will performa better by reverting to older driver which means its just restraining my GPU ,if taht's the only means of fixing this issue.  

Hi, sometimes you have to revert to older drivers to test and troubleshoot. In my case I was having artifacts when I would use the menu on two games (diablo 3's AH screen and sometimes inventory, and XCOM enemy unknown in the soldier equip screen.) I tryed both 12.8 and 12.10. When I reverted to 12.4 the problem went away. 

I know its moving backwards but what is worse, having artifacts flashing on your screen annoying the crap out of you and making you think your hardware is fried, or giving up a few percentages of performance in order to eliminate all that frustration?

I do feel nvidia has the edge in the driver department but as an owner of both brands i've had nvidia drivers that have caused issues in the past its just the nature of the pc. if your not open to troubleshooting and testing out other versions of drivers your not going to be very successful at getting your pc to function the way you want it to. 

I hope you try out 12.4 since it has solved my issue and others are having success with their issues as well reverting to it. I will continue to try out newer versions with my fingers crossed but the best thing we can do is report to amd our exact issues with games in hopes they can fix them in future versions of their drivers. 

i5-2500k CPU
asus p8z68-v lx MB
corsair 8gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM
asus hd7870 2gb dcII 1010/1210mhz
lian li full tower
coolermaster 212 plus cpu cooler
corsair 750txv2 psu
corsair SSD os/select games
WD black drive
windows 7 prem 64bit

11/03/2012 09:46 PM

Author Icon
gh0st47
Nerfed

So far have you gotten any Black Screen + Buzzing when your playing Diablo3?

Hopefully there be a fix soon for all this problems. But i didn't get artifact / flicerking in Diablo3 , only in Skyrim though.

I guess reverting back drivers its the only way to test for Skyrim.

For Diablo3 case...im affraid to even touching it after that day when i got Black Screen, i worry it will damage my PC.

Because after the Black Screen my PC gets totally locked up , i can't do anything , only way to fix it its turn off power / resset the PC.

I think i will tackle the problem with Skyrim first.

EDIT : Ok i haven't revert back to older driver , but been playing for an hour in Skyrim, the flickering isn't that bad usually its outdoors , and its quite random , sometimes places i go to didnt flicker at all. Usually it flickers alot when i look up the skies....weird....well since its still playable i guess i just leave it be and hope for a fix soon.

Is anyone here using GPU-Z , anyone familar in reading the log / know how to.

Because i made a log for playing Saints Row , to test see if my GPU is running fine , but i can't upload the file on the forum. 

Its a notepad file. 

Edited: 11/04/2012 at 02:41 AM by gh0st47
 11/05/2012 05:47 PM

Author Icon
Ushen
n00b

Originally posted by: gh0st47 So far have you gotten any Black Screen + Buzzing when your playing Diablo3? Hopefully there be a fix soon for all this problems. But i didn't get artifact / flicerking in Diablo3 , only in Skyrim though. I guess reverting back drivers its the only way to test for Skyrim. For Diablo3 case...im affraid to even touching it after that day when i got Black Screen, i worry it will damage my PC. Because after the Black Screen my PC gets totally locked up , i can't do anything , only way to fix it its turn off power / resset the PC. I think i will tackle the problem with Skyrim first.

EDIT : Ok i haven't revert back to older driver , but been playing for an hour in Skyrim, the flickering isn't that bad usually its outdoors , and its quite random , sometimes places i go to didnt flicker at all. Usually it flickers alot when i look up the skies....weird....well since its still playable i guess i just leave it be and hope for a fix soon. Is anyone here using GPU-Z , anyone familar in reading the log / know how to. Because i made a log for playing Saints Row , to test see if my GPU is running fine , but i can't upload the file on the forum. 

Its a notepad file. 

I have never gotten the buzzing problem ppl describe here. I use to run my u2410 monitor over HDMI and It did loose connection (screen went blank and the symbol for the hdmi connection would appear at the top left then it would regain the signal) a few times. I switched over to Displayport after reading that my monitors high color depth would be utilized using DP. After switching to DP the Black screen issue has not reappeared. Its hard to say if its my u2410 or my vid card as i've not tested a different source such as a ps3 on the hdmi connection. 

In diablo 3 the flickering/artifact only appeared during menus like the AH screen and inventory, never on anything 3d like the char running around or the environment etc. 

Xcom eu only flickers during the equip soldier screen where you can change a soldier's guns or armor etc. i've seen it flicker or artifact around the name of the soldier and the borders that are a bright blue white color. its hard to explain it in words. 

After testing with 12.4 over the last few days I have seen it flicker in xcom maybe once. And diablo 3 seems to be completely fine. I also have been playing BF3 and have noticed a very minor black texture on certain objects here and there. like a wall laying on the ground was totally black and seemed out of place. also on a beach section of a map there was a rock and when i would look up and down i could see a band of black move along the rock face, very odd but minor. Every thing else looked fine and I love how BF3 actually taxes my CPU/GPU utilizing my hardware like no other game. I also noticed that after playing bf3 for many hours when i exited to windows the amount of gpu ram that was being utilized in msi afterburner monitor was still showing about 600mb. As if bf3 did not release the memory in some way. after rebooting it dropped back to about 200mb. 

Another game i tested was counter strike Global offensive. it was free this weekend. everything ran fine but i noticed that one time I was playing as the terroists and i had the bomb. and when I had the bomb selected the graphics for it would have black trigangle artifacts appear on it with certain angles. it would look fine and then if i moved where the bomb got closer to my screen the artifacts would show up for a short moment. 

another thing ive see happen is a single pixel on my screen would sometimes go full bright white like a dead pixel. This has only happened in windows desktop and not while gaming. I thought it was my monitor but if I dragged a window over it it would turn off so it's not my monitory. rebooting fixed it. this has happend about 3 times. I remember when i first installed the gpu seeing it and freaking out thinking i had dead pixels. another interesting thing is its appeared in the exact same spot on the screen 2 times. another time i noticed it appear after i switched the HIS software setting for 2d clocks from on to off. not sure if its some how related to the gpu mhz change. just another sign to me that my gpu may be bad. 

In summary, 12.4 has made a huge difference with both game smoothness and eleminating these glitches. Also it no longer cycles between 2d clocks and 3d clocks like it did in 12.8 12.10 that cycling was casusing stuttering in xcom that was extremely annoying. I had to load HIS overclock tool to turn off 2d clocks to fix it when i ran 12.8 12.10. with 12.4 it seems to keep the gpu clock at a more stable 1010mhz and i rarely see it drop to 450mhz like it use to.

i5-2500k CPU
asus p8z68-v lx MB
corsair 8gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM
asus hd7870 2gb dcII 1010/1210mhz
lian li full tower
coolermaster 212 plus cpu cooler
corsair 750txv2 psu
corsair SSD os/select games
WD black drive
windows 7 prem 64bit

11/06/2012 08:20 PM

Author Icon
Nichtswisser
Grinding Levels

Seems like they are finally working on it on their bug farm:

We are aware of the DX9 flickering and are working on it. I was just informed of that today by our driver team.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318756/amd-12-11-beta-drivers/430

i5 2500k @ 4,2 GHz ][ ASUS P8P67 Pro ][ HD 5850 ][ 8GB Ram GEIL ][ ASUS Xonar DX

11/07/2012 06:43 AM

Author Icon
gh0st47
Nerfed

Hopefully zz

11/07/2012 06:56 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Seems promising.

What about software using even older Dx8?

At all its clear that the issues are visible/invisible because of usage of certain technology - it depends on version of DX and/or OpenGL.

11/09/2012 02:33 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

I have noticed that Catalyst 12.11 Beta has changed its release date to 11/7/2012. Any new release notes available?

Will test it during weekend.

11/09/2012 07:24 AM

Author Icon
gh0st47
Nerfed

Its already 11/9/2012 still haven't release ? ( I haven't check but my Auto-Update haven't pop up yet ) 

But guys back to my Sapphire HD 7870 problem. Anyone think that can confirm that my card its actually no problem ? (Black Screen + Buzzing ) 

Ok , it was October 28 2012 when i got the Black Screen during Diablo3 

So after i restart my PC on that day , i didn't play Diablo3 since then , only been playing other games , till now November 9 2012 , so far no Black Screen !

Been playing :
Borderlands 2 , Darksiders II , Dishonored , Saints Row 3 , CS : GO , Mass Effect 3 , Torchlight II , TES V Skyrim ( still flickers with 12.10 ) , NFS Shift , DiRT3 , FarCry2.

So far none of this games have problem like getting BSOD / Black Screen etc or what so ever.  

11/09/2012 12:49 PM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Ok. I have tested the 12.11 beta6 drivers. For now only with Witcher 2.

Flickering still present. When you  collect "place of power" the icon representing the buff is blinking every second as the time counts down.

Skyrim - flickering on body during fade-out effect still present .

Civilization 4: Seems flawless. have to re-test it.

Edit:
I have been playing the Civ 4 for several hours once the Beta 6 was installed and it looked fine. Now on the next day the flickering appeared. Aint it connected with .net NGEN service?

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 04:57 AM by Offler
 11/11/2012 09:09 AM

Author Icon
gh0st47
Nerfed

Hey Offler can you post your GPU's BIOS ?? 

11/12/2012 03:50 PM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Card revision 2.1

Bios is exported as GV-R7970-3GD.F70  - which means the gigabyte marks his bios version as F70. Standard version number is:

015.025.000.000.000000  with timestamp  09/05/12 10:53

11/12/2012 04:28 PM

Author Icon
PanMaster
Peon

Do you get any artifacting in Crysis 1 such as strange red patterns, white sparkingly things ?

In addition, is there lot's of coil whine during ingame menus and benchmarks?

Coil whine isn't present on all 79xx's and could be a sign of bad quality PCB components including those rumoured duff capacitors and VRMs that overheat causing random freezes.

11/12/2012 04:56 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

The VRMs I don't know about.  The caps... I would have thought everyone learned about those the first time considering everytime I buy a motherboard now there's stickers about solid state caps all over it... but these things do sometimes go in cycles.

About coil whine though... unlikely.  I've had plenty of components over the years which exhibited coil whine while under load.  It happens in a PC more often than most people realize, they just can't hear it above all the fans and spinning hard drives and whatnot.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 11/12/2012 at 05:04 PM by Mime
 11/12/2012 08:46 PM

Author Icon
gh0st47
Nerfed

Originally posted by: Offler Card revision 2.1

Bios is exported as GV-R7970-3GD.F70  - which means the gigabyte marks his bios version as F70. Standard version number is:

015.025.000.000.000000  with timestamp  09/05/12 10:53

Hmm i didn't expected Gigabyte BIOS be totally different. But is there a way to check my Sapphire if its athe first batch / a later batch.

Mine is 

015.017.000.000.00000 (113-217XTHE-O02)

Release Date Mar 5, 2012 

What's your current Core Clock and Memory Clock ?

So far i do see some artifacts (i think its artifacts , its the one like the SC 2 vid you posted) only in Skyrim , NFS SHIFT ( certain tracks not all , some tracks just keep flickering like hell but not entire screen but its obvious if you really notice )  and Darksiders II i think , for Darksiders II i can't confirm , could be just shadows i passed by or loading or something , screen refreshing maybe. Im not good at looking at this things.

Because by right , if everything is running fine , every games should have 0 flicker / artifacts throughout entire game no ? 

11/13/2012 05:22 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

1. Yesterday I had an oportunity to test Witcher 2 on Nvidia GTX 480. Some artifacts which I previously related to HD 7000 were also present. So definitely its a bug in the game. The flickering on Witchers hair it then not a driver bug, but a game bug.

2. Others - which appeared after Catalyst 12.4 and seem as random flicker due incorrect overclocking were not visible so these are definitely driver issue.

3. Yesteday was released new beta of 12.11.  I am eager to test it asap.

to Ghost:
Core Clock is 1065, while 1000Mhz is default for the card. Also I tested 925Mhz. Memory clocks were always on default.

to Mime:
Coil whine was present under certain circumstances: During 3dmark2003, in Witcher 2 when the video animation was running on very high FPS (EG 2000 and more). It was present on both HD 7970 cards i tested. Right now I belive its more related to the DAC which runs crazy on such high FPS. Vsync strongly reccomended if you encounter such behaviour. This was present on two different cards. One by Sapphire, one by Gigabyte. Since I dont have the sapphire card anymore I cannon say which components were same on both cards (with exception of Tahiti chip).

Different PSU caused to change the frequency of the coil whine. Strictly better PSU did not caused it to dissappear. (I have Corsair HX 650, and the card was tested with Enermax NANX 750, and also Arctic cooling 550 and seasonic 500w). Even under stress by OCCT the system was able to work fine with weaker PSUs, and even with stronger PSU the coil whine sound was present - just the tone changed for every PSU...

However both cards had 6+8 pin power supply which still comply to PCI-E 2.0, while PCI-E 3.0 allows 8+8 pins. After installation of this card I had to adjust northbridge voltage in order to keep system stable. Other cards I own consume less power so I believe that on PCI-E 2.0 boards may have tahiti bit trouble with power supplying. 8+8 pin power supply may solve the trouble on Tahiti2 cards...

But since the card runs quite well even under stress tests (OCCT) i am pretty sure that this is mainly caused only by extremely high FPS output.

To PanMaster:
I have only Demo of Crysis 1 and I havent tested it for some time. I belive that there were some artifacts when I had HD 7870, but its some time ago. Also I believe there are some youtube vids which display some issues which may be described as flickering.

I belive we are chasing 3 different issues:

A) Driver issue which looks like OC flickering but its caused by driver and only by driver (the issue I would like to dedicate this topic)
B) System lockup with buzzing sound. This is caused by bios, driver or other software. The reason of buzzing sound is that GPU runs a short loop once the system fails and the coils start to make the sound since the black screen you see is in fact generated on very high (yet undetectable FPS).

In some cases helps to update board bios, in other card's bios. May or may not be related to PSU. Few people believe that the coil whine and frequency interferences are the cause, but I belive its only symptom.

C) Coil whine under extremely high FPS.
In this case there may be a relation between multimonitor settings and image corruption under some circumstances, but I am sure that the coil whine was not coming from the part where is DAC located...

Also:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1324327/flickering-artifacts-in-some-games/10

Civilization IV i play is actually DX7 based game and it flickers.

Witcher 2 Enhanced edition:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/05/07/witcher_2_enhanced_edition_performance_iq_review/

Just very nicely made DX9, not higher as I expected.

Deus EX: HR
http://www.neogamr.net/news/deus-ex-human-revolution-pc-to-support-directx-11

Definitely DX11 and no flickering.

World of Tanks - version 0.8.0 = definitely DX10 at least since when DX10 libraries were present in WinXP the game crashed. Its known bug in this game that it tries to run DX10 on WinXP when DX10 hardware is present.

Skyrim - DirectX9 game.

Prey - DirectX9 game

Edited: 11/13/2012 at 07:58 AM by Offler
AMD Support and Game » AMD Radeon™ Graphics » HD 7000 series graphic problem

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
87612 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.