Topic Title: System flicker/lock-up on restart with cf6870
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/10/2012 08:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/10/2012 08:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eau

I've looked over the forums and couldn't find my issue anywhere.

Most every time I restart my computer, whenever the Windows desktop should appear (after the welcome screen is finished loading), I get this odd flicker and the "video part" of the computer freezes. I get all the sounds and the system stops loading but I'm stuck there without any options other than manually resetting the computer.

This isn't a new issue but I've recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu hoping they were the cause of this issue. I used to get both, this freeze and once in a while Windows would load with a partial screen only (the entire left side of my monitor was black and the actual desktop was crammed in 3/4 of the monitor).

I've recently reinstalled windows (7 64bit) to see if my previous installation was the issue and have the latest drivers for all my hardware. I have'nt tried reverting to a previous driver but I don't recall having this issue with pre-12.x drivers. Also, I had a similar problem with Ubuntu 12.04 where the system would lock-up after the initial password but I would then only get a blank screen and no flicker/sprites - so this might just be a linux issue... One other thing, I haven't tried turning cf off and restarting the system. I'll post this message and try that, we never know!

Anyone has ever had this issue before? Anyone know a solution? Could someone confirm that this is a cf issue? or a driver issue?

Thank you

Configuration

Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0 (the light oc isn't the issue, I had the same prob with non-oc) + Zalman cooler

ASrock Z77 Extreme4 mobo

8gb DDR3 1333 ram Kingston KVR

Mushkin 240gb SSD

Samsung 2tb HDD

2x Gigabyte HD6870 in cf

Enermax Modu 87+ 900W psu

The monitor is connected via HDMI and it's a Samsung 50" plasma

Temps is usually around 39 and rises to high 50s under heavy load and warm weather.

-------------------------

Finally back with ATI :D

i5 3570K on ASrock Z77 Extreme4
8Gb 1333 Kingston KVR
2 HD6870 1Gb cf
Mushkin 240gb SSD

Windows 7 64bit SP1
All drivers and updates made
Need anything else for tech support?

08/10/2012 12:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Barring one of the graphics cards failing, which you can find out after you disable Crossfire and test each individually from boot, and your motherboard drivers are up to date, it sounds like you might just need to stick with an 11.x driver set

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
88790 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.