Topic Title: White dots in BIOS
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/11/2012 12:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/11/2012 12:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Komi
n00b

radeon4850 HD

after some BSODs were caused by the catalyst file (atikpmag.sys) i started to have symmetric formation white dots in random BIOS loading parts (startup) and i can`t launch the windows(7 x64)  in ragular mode without deleting this file in safemode, so i have to chose between a working windows and videodriver. is the problem in the videocard or the ware? how can i check or fix it?

08/13/2012 12:38 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

It sounds to me as though you are pretty well getting "display corruption." It is happening in the BIOS, which is before Windows loads.  Therefore the issue is hardware related, and not drivers or software.

Nearly always, I find the video card is at fault.  Can you swap out the video card to rule it out?

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

08/13/2012 01:13 PM

Author Icon
fretboard

Yeah, hardware issue if problem is in BIOS screen ..

Two things to test first :

HD4850's fan/heatsink assembly. If it's never been cleaned, you can take it out and make sure it's not an overheating issue due to dust build-up in the fan/heatsink fins .. If it's out of warranty and you're able to do this yourself, then you could also check the thermal paste situation and maybe replace the TIM ( as the stuff does sometimes cake solid or dissipates over time ).

PSU check too : make sure voltages @ 12v are within spec.

If card has been cleaned and PSU is still OK etc, then you could always bribe a buddy with a few beers and see if somebody will let you test it in a secondary rig .. ( assuming their system has an adequate PSU to power the card ) ..

-------------------------

AM3 965BE / Corsair H70 / 4Gb Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair Force3 90Gb / x2 HD3870 Atomic Edition / x4 1Tb Storage & Momentus XT 250Gb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian-Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech KBoard & MX620 / Logitech C525 / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM

Statistics
85784 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.