Topic Title: Defective MSI HD7850?
Topic Summary: Artifacts on screen and impossible to install drivers
Created On: 10/01/2012 02:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/01/2012 02:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
civanT
n00b

Graphics Card: MSI HD7850 OC 1GB

Driver Version: No driver right now, tried 12.8, 12.9 Beta and on CD MSI driver which I don't know what version.

64Bit Windows 7 SP1

3 GB DDR2 RAM

3.2 GHz Dual Core

500 Watt PSU (43A on 12V)

Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2 motherboard, bios version F5 (supports PCIEx16)

HP 2310ei monitor.

Issue Details

I bought and installed this card today. There are almost always artifacts. It's like they appear on some colors only. In bios there are two columns which writings under them appear greenish instead of white. Since bios starts at a low res, there are only two big columns of artifacts. But when Windows starts artifacts get smaller in windth and appear more frequently. There are like 15 artifact columns and 15 problemless columns. They are always there. They just dissappear on certain colors but they are there. They are columns of reddish/greenish lines stacked on each other.

Now that you now the problem, here is what I did to solve it. Obviously first thing I wanted to do after installing the card was trying to install newest AMD drivers (12.8). It installed normally and asked a restart. After restart in bios artifacts appeared as usual, but this time after Windows' welcome screen came, it was incredibly full of artifacts. It was like color fest of dots. "Welcome" dissappeared and then black screen appeared. And then nothing.

After a restart same happens. So I go to safe mod and windows opens but with same old artifact columns. So I thought drivers were making it worse. Decided to install MSI drivers from CD. After all that driver sweeping and restarting session, I opened Windows normally without drivers and artifact colums were there again. Installed MSI drivers but they didn't include CCC. I restarted anyway (even though it didn't ask for it), but nothing changed. Device manager was showing "7800 series" with a warning that says I needed to install drivers.

After failure of not starting Windows with 12.9 beta drivers, I'm trying to decide. Am I doing something very wrong here and it's not working, or is my card bad? I had an Nvidia card before and I didn't uninstall its drivers at the time I first I installed the new AMD card. I thought that was causing some problems but I swiped all remains of it, yet it still doesn't work. When I return to my Nvidia card it works without any problems. So I don't think it's motherboard or PSU or bad PCIe slot. But you never know.

I bought the card just today, so if it's the card that's the problem as I decided, I want to return it as soon as possible.

Right now probably only thing I didn't try is installing 32bit Windows 7 with a format, but I'm negative that it'll be any help to me so I don't want to try it.

Btw I can't see if card is overheating or anything since I can't install drivers and I can't monitor its temperature. As its name suggests, I think the card is overclocked a little by default (maybe not, I'm not sure), but I don't think it can cause this many problems.

Any ideas?

Edit: I forgot to mention that my ATI driver folders appear empty when I install a driver.

Edited: 10/01/2012 at 02:36 PM by civanT
 10/01/2012 02:37 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

I would try the card in a different system to see if the issue persists if possible, but honestly, it sounds like you have a bad card.  RMA it and get a new one.

I question your PSU though.....you did not state the manufacturer or model number, but could be a possiblity.

Cheers!

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/01/2012 02:52 PM

Author Icon
civanT
n00b

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-zalman-zm500-gs-uncertified-quiet-fan-atx-v23-psu

This is the PSU. I don't really think it's the problem. Also it's quite new, like two months old.

I want to try the card on a different PC, but that could be a problem. Not sure if I can find a proper PC with a good PSU to test it.

Curse my luck. I wanted this card so bad.

10/01/2012 04:29 PM

Author Icon
fretboard

Two possible issues :

1. Mainboard is 7.5 years old and last BIOS is dated 2009 .. your current one is from 2007. Could be a VBIOS issue or older chipset issue etc .. I'd contact GigaByte and/or VGA card manufacturer to ask about potential compatibility issues between that mainboard and card.

2. PSU isn't very good at all .. not many Zalmans are TBH. That unit has x2 12v rails rated at 12v1 - 24A / 12v2 - 21A with 408W total @ 12v = 34A.

The 12v1 rail is for all peripherals and PCI_e connector(s) and 12v2 is dedicated to the CPU according to the unit's manual.

A HD7850's TDP is about 130W / 11A.

I'd try it with a much better unit to begin with and go from there. It's a £35 PSU at the end of the day - you get what you pay for really. Never skrimp on THE most important part of a PC, it's not worth it and you run the risk of damaging things ..

AM3 965BE / Corsair H70 / 4Gb Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair Force3 90Gb / x2 HD3870 Atomic Edition / x4 1Tb Storage & Momentus XT 250Gb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian-Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech KBoard & MX620 / Logitech C525 / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM

10/01/2012 06:13 PM

Author Icon
civanT
n00b

Sometimes a £35 PSU is all you need. My system don't even use 100Watt (actually not even 80) in full stress. Even a 400W PSU would be enough for this card. I'm pretty confident in that.

About motherboard, I'm not so sure. I don't really think it's going to matter, but I'll update motherboard BIOS, and check out if such a thing as motherboard incompatibility with VGAs exists.

10/03/2012 12:31 PM

Author Icon
civanT
n00b

Today I returned the card and they tested it and yes it was defective. Thanks for all the help.

10/03/2012 12:35 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Fantastic, glad that you got it all sorted out civanT

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

Statistics
84846 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.