Topic Title: How to Enable Audio thru HDMI only no video.
Topic Summary: I want to enable Audio Out to always on
Created On: 10/10/2012 03:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/10/2012 03:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DriVAnce
n00b

Greetings. Here is the template for my problem.

Graphics Card
Sapphire Radeon 6870 1GB

Crossfire Bridge

Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Catalyst's Test: 12.7,12.8,12.9 beta (Currently on Beta)

Operating System
Windows 7 x64 SP1

Issue Details
Need to enable HDMI Audio, It works when I have a display hooked to my receiver, but I dont want to use 24/7 specially during night when I have my headset hooked. so I wish to use HDMI output for Audio only, this I cannot find.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe

Power Supply

Corsair 850TXv2

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- include specific brand & model (ex:  DELL U2411)
LG 23" ips234v-pn connected with Eyefinity Adapter (XFX DP to Single DVI)

LG 23" ips234v-pn connected with DVI-D cable

LG 23" ips234v-pn connected with DVI-VGA adapter

Applications and Games

no problems here...

CPU Details
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Ed
default closk 
Motherboard BIOS Version
Latest for my MoBo

System Memory Type & Amount
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 16GB (4x4GB) Clocked at 1333mhz

More Detailed Well, in my words.

So, I got a Receiver, And I want the audio on it. But not video. so I can connected it to HDMI. the audio works almost flawlessly besides DTS bitstream losses. might be cable, at least I believe so, but PCM 5.1 works perfectly

but to the main problem

When I connect one my receiver to my main graphics card (Sapphire AMD 6870 1GB) with HDMI, I do NOT get audio on. but if I connect a video device to my receiver. I can get Audio, but the problem is that I have to show the display on that device. AND use to show/extend/clone a Desktop BEFORE that will actually enable Audio. if I just connect the HDMI cable to a video as well then nothing will happend.

it works when i am extending the display but the problem is that I use headset during night or sometimes during day. it would be a stupid thing to let my receiver be powered on when I am gaming/watching movie.

as receivers uses fair amount of watts per hour.

so I tried connecting the HDMI display with VGA instead but the bloody thing is that my AUDIO always gets turned off.  is this possible To turn on?

-------------------------

Running AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.8ghz with 16GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB Default Clocks

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB Default Clocks

Eyefinity Setup @ 23" LG Screens. with 5.1 Onkyo AVX 390 Receiver

10/10/2012 04:11 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yeah... You'd probably have to use some kind of specialized adapter that'll take an HDMI cable as input, and then split video and audio into two separate cables.  HDMI is really just DVI + audio, so you could just pass it though a DVI adapter to strip out audio... but stripping out video is harder.

Depending on the cost of that adapter, it might be cheaper just to run separate cables for audio and video from the start.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 04:18 PM by Mime
 10/10/2012 04:39 PM

Author Icon
DriVAnce
n00b

You talking about a HDMI-Splitt with 2 outputs?

for example http://www.netonnet.se/art/tv-och-bild/kabel-och-kontakt/hdmi/hdmi-vaxlare/andersson-hdmisplitt1x2/165741.4302/  (sorry that's in swedish)

As in a Splinter that splits the signal to 2 devices from 1 device? you believe that this works with audio as well? it only says display and not video. if this works then I am consdering buying it, but pretty pricey... considering that you cannot just enable the audio driver always on. I heard this worked on older versions of display drivers. but as a Gamer... I cannot consider going back in drivers with a half year. (12.3 I heard it worked on) not sure if it was the exact same thing I was looking for.

Edit: after looking, I saw it supports sound. Ljudformat: LPCM/Dolby-AC3/DTS 7.1/DSD but does it support Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD? =) always fun to have those functions as my receiver supports those.

Edit 2: i saw that exists active spliter... I am guessing that is a must as well since I got 3 displays?

10/10/2012 06:24 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I was thinking of something that actually separated the signals into two different cables, like DVI for video and optical for audio, or something along those lines.  Using that splitter, you'll probably end up with audio and video over both cables.  One kind of digital connection is usually just as good as another assuming there's no old/noisy cables or troublesome adapters involved.  If you want to stay on HDMI though, you might be able to use a splitter like that and get what you want from it by being creative with how you use those two cables... it just depends on your setup.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

10/11/2012 05:13 AM

Author Icon
DriVAnce
n00b

only 1 reason Why I won't use Optical is the bandwith support is way 2 low for 5.1 Movies. especially on Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master HD.

So I am guessing I will need to spend another 600 SEK on a active HDMI splitter, getting active to be on the safe side... I will try to find maybe at the end of this month or next. depending on how my economy is.

10/11/2012 05:56 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yeah... I think the only way this is likely to work is if you have a way to isolate audio just by what devices are plugged in/powered on.  There's not likely to be much support in software for using HDMI for audio only...  It took a while just for there to be decent HDMI audio support at all.

Troll Hunter

10/11/2012 09:01 PM

Author Icon
DriVAnce
n00b

Actually I found out that I had a very decent feature on my Receiver which I sadly didn't know at all about... I can actually turn off (into standby) my receiver and it still allows HDMI pass-thru to the Screen. so don't think I need a splitter anymore. but I will buy one anyway later this year at the moment there isnt a emergency for that... I hope AMD will add this to hardware level support and driver support for HDMI audio only. That would be so friggin AWESOME!. 

Thanks anyway... also this feature might had been disabled by me before. since my receiver is 2 basic in features that you don't understand exactly what everything does. so far I have to say that I am happy with it. also stupid 192kHz doesnt wanna work with Neo:6 probably hardware limit or something... dunno... have to run in 96kHz... well at least analogy transfered to digital songs wont sound weird... =) [known problem with 192kHz]

10/17/2012 02:00 PM

Author Icon
jnowski
n00b

"only 1 reason Why I won't use Optical is the bandwith support is way 2 low for 5.1 Movies. especially on Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master HD."

I beg to differ. Optical fiber is WAY faster than wire. The network providers are transitioning to optical for just that reason, they want more bandwidth.

BTW where did you come-up with this idea of yours?

Statistics
88935 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.