Topic Title: PC will not recognize HDTV when connected to Radeon HDMI port
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/25/2012 02:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/25/2012 02:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SnakesSon
Peon

I recently bought a Samsung 32' LED HDTV and tried to hook up the HDMI on my Radeon to the TV. The HDMI cables I've tried both work perfectly fine with the PS3, but the PC refuses to detect any seperate display. I've tried a bunch of options, but I thought maybe there was some kind of setting in CCC I have to switch on. I hope somebody here can help me with this issue.

Radeon HD 5750
Catalyst Driver 12.10
Windows 7 32 bit
GIGABYTE H55M-UD2H
Antec Earthwatts 650W Power Supply

Two HDMI cables. The one connecting the PC to the TV was included with the Radeon.

Hopefully I can get some information.

10/25/2012 03:03 PM

Author Icon
dmdilks
Button Masher

Did it come with a DVI to HDMI adapter. If it did try it that way to see if works. When you hook it up to the TV is that the only thing connected to the video card.

-------------------------

GIGABYTE-GA-GA-X79-UP4 i7-3930K 3.20GHz, G.Skill 32gb DDR3 2133 Quad, His HD 7850 4GB, In Win Glacier 900W, COOLER MASTER HAF 932 , 256gb SSD, Win7 Ult-64bit, 32" LED TV
GIGABYTE-GA-990FXA-UD5R, FX-8150 3.60GHz AM3+ 8-CORE, Mushkin 8gb DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 480-OC 1.5GB, Ultra 750W PSU, IN WIN BUC 101 Mid Tower, Win 7 Pro 64bit - Play around with computer

10/25/2012 08:07 PM

Author Icon
SnakesSon
Peon

As far as I know, it's a regular HDMI cable that the card came with.

When I hook it up to the TV, my monitor is hooked up via a VGA cable. However, the HDMI port is only being used by the TV, and this is the first time I've used it since I bought the card back in 2010.

10/26/2012 12:41 AM

Author Icon
SnakesSon
Peon

Originally posted by: dmdilks Some of those cards only support one connection at a time disconnect the vga.

I tried that today. It didn't work, nothing showed up on the HDTV.

10/26/2012 04:18 AM

Author Icon
dmdilks
Button Masher

Some of those cards only support one connection at a time disconnect the vga.

GIGABYTE-GA-GA-X79-UP4 i7-3930K 3.20GHz, G.Skill 32gb DDR3 2133 Quad, His HD 7850 4GB, In Win Glacier 900W, COOLER MASTER HAF 932 , 256gb SSD, Win7 Ult-64bit, 32" LED TV
GIGABYTE-GA-990FXA-UD5R, FX-8150 3.60GHz AM3+ 8-CORE, Mushkin 8gb DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 480-OC 1.5GB, Ultra 750W PSU, IN WIN BUC 101 Mid Tower, Win 7 Pro 64bit - Play around with computer

10/26/2012 04:16 PM

Author Icon
dmdilks
Button Masher

Who makes your video card?

10/26/2012 05:07 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: SnakesSon
Originally posted by: dmdilks Who makes your video card?
ATI. It's an ATI Radeon HD 5750.

Manufacturer = Sapphire, MSI, Powercolor, ASUS, Gigabyte, XFX, Diamond, VisionTek

Not AMD/ATi or NVidia (we already know that you have an AMD graphics card, it would kind of silly if you were asking a question about an NVidia card on an AMD site.....right?)

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/26/2012 06:25 PM

Author Icon
SnakesSon
Peon

Originally posted by: dmdilks Who makes your video card?

ATI. It's an ATI Radeon HD 5750.

10/26/2012 09:42 PM

Author Icon
dmdilks
Button Masher

I'll ask this again did it come with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Or get a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable. Because if you hook it up that way and it works. Then it could be something wrong with that port.

If you are going to use it as a monitor for you pc that is the way to go. You already have speakers. It sounds like there is something wrong with that port. Because all ports are on all the time. It shouldn't matter which port you use. There is no on & off switch.

Because I just when through the same thing with a computer I build a computer for my son. We tried to connect through on board HDMI and it would only boot till after windows logo screen and have a back screen. The driver for that was to old and with no update pass 2010. We put in a 6750 and it work great. Plus the driver really doesn't starts working till after the windows logo screen.

10/27/2012 06:09 AM

Author Icon
SnakesSon
Peon

Originally posted by: dmdilks I'll ask this again did it come with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Or get a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable. Because if you hook it up that way and it works. Then it could be something wrong with that port. If you are going to use it as a monitor for you pc that is the way to go. You already have speakers. It sounds like there is something wrong with that port. Because all ports are on all the time. It shouldn't matter which port you use. There is no on & off switch. Because I just when through the same thing with a computer I build a computer for my son. We tried to connect through on board HDMI and it would only boot till after windows logo screen and have a back screen. The driver for that was to old and with no update pass 2010. We put in a 6750 and it work great. Plus the driver really doesn't starts working till after the windows logo screen.

Sorry about that. I was at work.

XFX makes my card. As for the DVI stuff, my HDTV has a DVI/HDMI port that I am using only for the computer at the moment.

10/27/2012 09:12 AM

Author Icon
dmdilks
Button Masher

So what you are saying is that DVI ports to the TV work fine right. If that is so than the HDMI port much not be working.

10/27/2012 11:52 AM

Author Icon
sirplus
n00b

Hi this is my first post so go easy.

This is a solid work around for the issue as I have experienced which sounds like yours so try it.

I have this problem whenever I try and mix HDMI screen and DVI screens at the same time OR enable any resolution which won't display on my HDMI screen. Which is a bloody silly thing to do! sirplus whistles tunelessly, kicks at the dirt and looks down!

It's either a conflict between the driver for the DVI screen and the HDMI screen driver picking up an oncorrect resolution from your other screen (my fav theory) or something to do with the NVIDA driver which seems to be installed with CCC. Either way AMD CCC seems to keep some bad settings so you have to get rid of them from the registry.

I haven't been able to test getting two HDMI screens going at the same time because I only have one, however every time I add a conventional DVI screen while I'm using HDMI screen (or vice versa) I lose all displays and rebooting doesn't do any good.

I get the bios on both screens until upto just before the windows logon screen when windows finds a driver that isn't a basic windows driver and all screens stop displaying. Instead of windows logon, there is no signal to the HDMI screen and the DVI appears totally black except i can move the mouse onto it from the lhs but not off of it to top, bottom or rhs so it appears part of an extended desktop at log on screen only with a black background instead of blue.

I have a gigabytes HD 7950

Once this happens with me my only resolution is as follows:

1/completely remove the CCC using control panel |remove programs and then reboot. In order to see the screen I actually have to remote desktop into the computer with the graphics card as I can't get any screens working on any of the graphic ports on the back of the card HD 7950) once you've rebooted you can now see your screen on the box plug into the graphics card because windows is using its default legacy driver

2/NOW use driver fusion to remove all the NVIDA and AMD graphics drivers and then reboot

3/ The next thing I have to do is to use CCleaner to remove any remaining registry settings.  Do not reboot at this point.

4/Next plug in your HDMI screen and unplug everything else.  I can do this on either the one specific HDMI port or other miniHDMI ports.  I haven't tried this with multiple HDMI screens as I only have the one.

(by the way I bought a miniHDMI to regular HDMI adapter for about $3.00 off ebay so and that works fine so I can use the miniHDMI ports instead of the regular HDMIs ports if I want although I not sure about using all three HDMIs at once)

5/Next install the latest CCC, I'm using 12-11 windows7x64 but I have experienced this issue with all CCC since I got this card about four months ago.

6/you should now be play cool games on your HDMI TV.
As stated earlier I have found this to be a solid fix which works 100% for me so far.

I think I have to buy another HDMI screen to try it with two (or 3 even) at once.

PS
If you're like me and have no display whatsoever for step one, and haven't got remote desktop set up already and therefore can't see your computer screen to uninstall CCC. Simply remove your high and graphic card and put in something really basic (e.g. your old one) so that you can uninstall the CCC. Then put your high end card back in once that's done. I had to do that the first couple of times until I thought of doing it by remote which I think's the best way.

Chris Pac

Edited: 10/27/2012 at 05:10 PM by sirplus
 10/27/2012 10:13 PM

Author Icon
dmdilks
Button Masher

Boy that was a mouth. lol Welcome to the forum. I have never tried the HDMI to HDMI. I have always used a DVI to HDMI 6ft cable. Don't need the TV speakers because I have 7.1 set of speakers. I have run it this way for over 6 yrs with two TV's LCD & LED.

My son has had three differenet computers he has use to watch Blue-Ray movies on his 42" LCD TV. From on board to to 3 differenet video cards too. Plus has never had a problem HDMI to HDMI. From on board to a 5670 / 5770 / 6750.

You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to make it work. All you should have to do is plug in the HDMI cable boot the computer and it should work.

Plus A couple of months ago I upgraded from a 6950 to a 7950. So I could move some cards around. I upgraded on son in law's card at the same time. He went from a 4870 to a 5850 that was hookup HDMI to HDMI. Had to do nothing other than swap out and reboot and everything was fine.

That is why I saying maybe there is something wrong with that port. He could try your steps to see if that will work. Nothing else is working at this point.

10/28/2012 08:32 AM

Author Icon
sirplus
n00b

Just to confirm
I think it's basically a case of the TV not able to show the display resolution chosen. 

Today I found by experimentation that the DVI and the HDMI must both be the same resolution (or naturally both screens able to display the resolution). If they are there's no issue.

Once the problem occurs though I still found a full un-installation of the CCC to be the only remedy.

Chris Pac
 10/29/2012 10:24 AM

Author Icon
sirplus
n00b

UPDATE

I cracked what it is.

Its not detecting the correct format on the HDMI tv.

My TV is detected as 1920 x 1080 79 Hz which it displays fine only if its set to that and detection then used the screen just goes to blue like no signal but the there must be something as tv doesn't go to standby. When you use "detect" (or even just connect a new screen) it doesn't go "do you want to use these settings?" (like when you are changing HDMI format) and change back if there is no "yes"; it just applies the new settings. Very rude! If its not going to get it right then the least it could do if guge you a No option or even one where you could tell it what to use. Somehow when you plug in a new  screen this also makes the new/ (larger?) screen (which now doesn't work) the primary screen and the screen which does work becomes the extension of an extended desktop. So the challenge becomes to get to the ccc and without being able to see what you are doing or using a mouse.
Relatively easy and quick compared with removing and cleaning all traces of driver inc from the registry.

The best choice. To use it you have to move the CCC to the extended part of the desktop first BEFORE pluging in the HDMI/redetecting (or see additional tip below about moving it with keys only). Now plug in the HDMI/redetect and using the LCD monitor which you previously limited to the correct setting go into the ccc properties of the new screen (but while still displaying ccc on the old one) and manually set the maximum HDMI format to something that works, in HDMI support (you can't limit it like in vga settings in ccc).

At least I will save hours not having to uninstall the driver any more.....

If you forgot to move ccc to desktop extension (before it is created)
just right-Click on the working extended desktop then:

Display resolution (if you have done that a few times Windows 7 puts it there )
or if it's not there
"Personalise |ctrl + F | Type/Paste "Adjust Screen Resolution" | tab | Tab | Enter

Then

alt + space | "M" | then right or left arrow to get the control panel for the display onto a working screen. (Move the mouse a lot from 1 screen to the other to see where it comes from if you are clueless.)

You can launch ccc from advanced settings | "Catalyst Control Centre" Tab

then alt + space | "M" | then right or left arrow (Again)
to get that onto the working desktop extension.

For some reason the HDMI will take properties as it detects and work fine until a screen detection happens. ie. detecting messes it all up

Once that happens all custom properties must be deleted and a basic 720 60 applied to get it back. Once that's done a 1080 can be reapplied.

I have changed the detection to manual (CCC Advanced Display Settings) and must now any resist temptation to change to a new screen which will require detection all over again.

OP

Try applying different formats after deleting any custom. At least mine detects to something that displays once that's all done! Hope it works for you.

PS
I bought this card to make my gaming more enjoyable which it now will be given I can solve this. Har Har Har

PPS
Now have HDMI as Main and DVI as extension and saving for 2 x HDMI so I can see what gives
then another 7950 which I will sli crossfire to total of 6 x HDMI and 2 x DVI
I'll call it the Wall of Pain Muahahahaaaa!!

PPPS

OP -is your power supply big enough? I think my card needed something bigger than the 620W I had and originally nothing happened when I plugged in the second screen. also check your power feeds to the card are plugged into different rails if it's a multi rail PS and Card needs multiple (like mine).

Chris Pac

Edited: 10/29/2012 at 12:24 PM by sirplus
 10/29/2012 10:42 AM

Author Icon
sirplus
n00b

Mods I worked out perhaps I shouldn't be posting in this thread??

Can anyone please suggest if there's a more appropriate place where all this should be moved "like make a sticky out of it" (Just kidding -or am I?) as I have 2 solid fixes for my issues which I found all over Google but unresolved (except for here) yet possibly different to OP (possibly same).

Sorry

<--- Hangs head in shame

Chris Pac

Edited: 10/29/2012 at 12:13 PM by sirplus
 11/10/2012 09:32 AM

Author Icon
echo1
Peon

I was going to post about a recurring intermittent HDMI detection issue but seeing that this thread describes very similar issues I'll just add my 2¢ here instead.

On an OEM Acer HD5570, 64bit Win7, I've been finding that HDMI monitor detection has been unreliable in a number of recent Catalyst driver versions, including 12.10 which I installed a few days ago. With about a 50% or higher failure rate I'ts extremely annoying, but  unlike the OP I can usually get the HDMI connection working by using manual detection (sometimes repeatedly) in the CCC controls. In the worst case rebooting the computer often works too.

For me at least, the 12.8 driver didn't behave as badly as this new one and some of the earlier drivers exhibited no HDMI detection issues at all. I suspect one workaround might be to move the primary display onto a different connection on the video card (it has 1 each of DVI, VGA and HDMI outputs) but I won't be bothering with that.

The new CCC  isn't displaying properly for me either (blacks out after opening) so I'll be reverting to one of the older drivers which doesn't have these issues and try updating the video drivers again with some future release.

11/10/2012 03:00 PM

Author Icon
SnakesSon
Peon

I appreciate everyone's help in this thread, however, without any kind of solid answer, I have to simply give up on this happening. There seems to be little I can do beyond getting a new card/monitor, and that's impossible right now. Thank you for all the help.

Statistics
84124 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.