Topic Title: HD 7950 HDMI output problems.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2012 07:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2012 07:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
grifgin
Peon

My source is correctly picked (my TV).

However my sound skips for ALL, except GAMING!!!!

All games have perfect sound, however playing any mp3s, youtube etc = incomplete/skips in sounds.....

HELP!!!! PLEASE! <sometimes choosing 1080i works for sound...> I think games pick a different 1080p than windows 7 ?????????????

10/28/2012 07:51 PM

Author Icon
Practikill
Buffed

It may be a cable not capable of what you are trying to do. I've read that some HDMI cables don't fully support all audio and video modes.

-------------------------
 10/31/2012 06:08 PM

Author Icon
grifgin
Peon

But then how does my hdmi support sound while a game is being played?

SKipping sound: all times minus when a game is running.

10/31/2012 06:43 PM

Author Icon
Practikill
Buffed

I think it may be because the game audio is generated on the audio device on the card it's self. While videos and stuff are passing through your motherboard audio/sound card.

Have you tried setting the HDMI audio as the default for windows?

And again, not all cables are created equal.

11/01/2012 10:49 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

The issue specifically is caused due to the card's power state changing depending on what the card is being asked to do.

You don't experience the issue while gaming because the card switched to use it's 3d graphics settings, which for all intents and purposes, is the cards highest power state.

You do experience it when you are doing anything other than gaming because you are in a lesser power state and there is not enough "juice" to do what you need done and the end result is you hear skipping sound.

The resolution:  Increase your cards GPU and Memory frequency to a higher state using a program like MSI Afterburner which will allow you to overclock the card, or in this instance, override the lesser power state that you are in that is causing your sound skipping to a higher power state that eliminates it.

Alternatively, and if you are familiar with the AMD CCC application's profiles area, you can create a profile and then manually edit the .xml with your desired power state levels and then choose to have that profile load up when you start Windows.  With this you may need to go into your registry and find all of your "EnableULPS" settings and change the value to off ("0" I think), but EnableULPS stands for Enable Ultra Low Power State.....just an FYI....please feel free to google it and read up a bit before you decide how you would like to workaround the issue.

Cheers!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

11/01/2012 12:53 PM

Author Icon
dmdilks
Button Masher

This problem has been around from 2009 or before and here it is 2012. Plus my son doesn't have the problem and using a cheap video card like $75.

GIGABYTE-GA-GA-X79-UP4 i7-3930K 3.20GHz, G.Skill 32gb DDR3 2133 Quad, His HD 7850 4GB, In Win Glacier 900W, COOLER MASTER HAF 932 , 256gb SSD, Win7 Ult-64bit, 32" LED TV
GIGABYTE-GA-990FXA-UD5R, FX-8150 3.60GHz AM3+ 8-CORE, Mushkin 8gb DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 480-OC 1.5GB, Ultra 750W PSU, IN WIN BUC 101 Mid Tower, Win 7 Pro 64bit - Play around with computer

11/01/2012 07:24 PM

Author Icon
grifgin
Peon

oh wow, 300+ $ spent and now I need to OC it for it to work properly.... and if it fries while I try to OC it... well ... obviously it won't be under warranty..... hmmmmmm 

Return for store credit???

Thank you very much though, for solving this mystery! Much appreciate the help.

11/01/2012 08:25 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Technically this is not overclocking since you are not going to go above the listed stock clocks of the card (i.e. the card's 3D clocks).  When you are in your 2D environments, and you can confirm this in MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z, is your GPU and GPU memory clocks drop way down, like to 300Mhz or lower.....basically barely enough to give a picture on your display.  All you do is increase it to something like 400-500 Mhz total on the GPU, so your card has enough juice to render the display and the sound.......sometimes you can see this also if you are a web page with a lot of picture graphics and scroll up and down really quickly.

All of the graphics cards today have multiple power states, so it is more than likely that even a $1,000 card will do the same thing....just because of the environmental factor, higher power means more heat generated....more power sucked for nothing.  All you are doing is letting the card know that you need more juice to do what you are needing to do. 

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

Edited: 11/01/2012 at 08:38 PM by Canis-X
 11/13/2012 09:28 PM

Author Icon
grifgin
Peon

I did disable ULPS in registry

and it still hasn't solved the audio issue

11/15/2012 07:25 PM

Author Icon
grifgin
Peon

bump

11/15/2012 08:59 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Have you tried MSI Afterburner?  Also, there maybe more than one EnableULPS value in your registry.

11/16/2012 04:49 PM

Author Icon
cswann821
Peon

Hello, I was trying to find a fix to a sound problem I am having with my 7970 when I found your posts to another, having similar problems that I am. 

Basically, I have choppy sound or loose sound when I switch inputs on my tv or reciever. My 7970 HDMI driver is no longer available in my sound device menu's. I also loose sound when my PC or tv wakes from  sleep mode. I only have this problem with catalyst versions above 12.3 which keeps me from getting all the performance buffs from the later versions.

I did notice my 2d clocks are set at 300mhz. How do I go about raising this? can I do this through afterburner?

My PC Specs are:

Intel I5 2500k 

MSI OC/Radeon HD 7970

ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850W 

Samsung 52" plasma 1080p

ONKYO TX-SR607 7.2-Channel Black Home Theater Receiver

Thanks !

11/17/2012 01:36 AM

Author Icon
yurieu
Peon

dude, update the amd audio/video driver first. then go to windows audio panel, set your speakers configurations and disabe all improvements, in advanced, set sample rate to the maximum. dont use the realtek hdmi driver.

after that, go to all of your music/video players and check the audio output if there are something weird.

after that, go to the onkyo menu and disable everything like lip sync, 24p mode and all the enhancements. 

11/25/2012 07:10 PM

Author Icon
grifgin
Peon

still unresolved issue,

I cant seem to get this video card out of ULPS, is there anyway I can place it into "hardcore" mode at all times?

11/26/2012 11:49 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

You never answered my question....did you try MSI Afterburner yet?  You need to go into settings a change a few options and you may also need to go into the .config file and add some text for the EULA.

12/02/2012 07:27 PM

Author Icon
grifgin
Peon

Dear ,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200520722]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

This issue is actually being investigated currently by the Catalyst Engineers, and is one of the main issues that the team is working on fixing for the upcoming Catalyst releases. There is currently no timeframe for when this will be resolved, but the team is working on fixing this issue as quickly as possible.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reply to this e-mail directly and I will try to provide any additional information that you may require. Thank you for contacting AMD!

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Statistics
84308 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.