Topic Title: EyeFinity and Windows 8
Topic Summary: Windows 8 multi-monitor support overridden by EyeFinity?
Created On: 11/04/2012 12:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2012 12:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Haggisdog
Peon

I just installed Win8 after reading about its multi-monitor support. I have to confess I very impressed with Microsoft has done to support 3 monitor setups like mine.  Windows will now maximize an application to fit the monitor it's being used on (instead of expanding it across all three monitors), screensavers now span more than one monitor, themes support multimonitors... basically all the things that you would expect.However, once I tried to run WoW I realized I needed to configure EyeFinity.  I installed 12.10 and created by EyeFinity group which allowed WoW to work across three monitors but I can no longer take advantage of the Microsoft multi-monitor features like maximizing an app to one screen (I find it very annoying having to manually stretch my browser to fill a monitor and I dont get benefit from having a browser or many other apps expanded across multiple monitors.Does anyone have some advice on this or know of a way to EyeFinity only apply to certain applications like WoW?Im running a HD 6870 and 3 Dell 23" monitors.

Edited: 11/04/2012 at 10:55 AM by Haggisdog
 11/05/2012 12:02 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

As I read your post, and how you are enjoying the multi-monitor support of Windows8, I get the impression that you are using your 3 monitors in an 'extended-desktop' configuration.  Can you confirm that?

Creating an Eyefinity Group makes the OS think you have just 1 monitor in use, and so an application expanding to full-screen across the 3 physical monitors would be the correct behaviour.

You may find luck in third party applications like Ultramon, perhaps.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/05/2012 07:46 PM

Author Icon
Haggisdog
Peon

Thanks for the quick response Marc. You are correct I am using an extended desktop configuration.  I actually only use my three monitors for one game (World of Warcraft).  Is there a way to easily turn on and off Eyefinity for this one application?
 11/06/2012 11:34 PM

Author Icon
Haggisdog
Peon

I've been looking a little more at this.  It appears that I can create a preset in the Catalyst Control Panel that wil create an extended display group and automatically start WoW.  I'm running Win8 but apparently this can create a desktop shortcut that I can use. The only problem is that when I disable the extended display group, Win8 doesnt recognize all three monitors and I have to click around a bit to get it to recognize all three monitors.  I'll see if I can figure this out.BTW.. Win8 appears to have the same features as Ultramon.
 11/08/2012 06:28 PM

Author Icon
Haggisdog
Peon

This works pretty well.  I created a preset that creates an Eyefinity three monitor group and launches WoW.  I then created a preset that disables the display group.  The only problem with this is that Windows 8 doesnt recognize all three monitors and instead groups two monitors together.  I can only get it to recognize all three by clicking on different sequences of monitors to extend the desktop to and eventually it works correctly.  I created a little .bat job that fires when I run this preset that calls the desktop display properties from Control Panel (%windir%\system32\control.exe desk.cpl,Settings,@Settings).This would be perfect if I could figure out why Windows doesnt recognize the monitors after Eyefinity has been disabled.BTW.. anyone know why you can't edit a preset after its created?
 12/04/2012 11:03 PM

Author Icon
Haggisdog
Peon

For those that are interested, I created a macro using AutoIT (a open source macro tool for Windows) that I compiled and runs as an .exe.  I created two presets in the AMD Vision Control Engine, one that extends all three monitors and then runs the Wow64.exe) and then one that disables the Eyefinity and runs the macro to return the monitors back to Windows control. It works great and now everything is good. Peace!http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/146102-automating-screen-resolution-change-win7/
Statistics
88923 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.