Topic Title: Problems with updating driver on Radeon HD 5850 XFX card
Topic Summary: Cannot get other driver than the one from the CD which came with the card.
Created On: 11/04/2012 12:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2012 12:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zwisler664
n00b

Hello. My name is Christian Zwisler, and I have an issure concerning my ATI Radeon HD 5850 XFX card(s). I have two of them, used to be in X-fire, but took one out long time ago, as the cards are too close together and they are overheating because of this (not my issue though!!!).

My problem is that when I want to install a newer driver version (I can ONLY use the driver provided by the CD I got with the card) I cannot get to the windows desktop (this is when i reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and want to add the newest graphics driver so I can game :>. It only shows the background and my mouse curser and it doesnt seem to be loading the OS itself, though the new driver seems to be installed as the resolution is fine... -.-

So my question for you is: WTH is happening? xD

SOMEHOW I have been able to bypass this "bugg" before, tho it required a system restore and a lot of fustration - The new driver werent deleted after I did the system restore.. xD And Im afraid to do it again as it is some time ago and Im hoping others have experienced this and knows what to do!?

Used to play BF3 and stuff on this computer almost with maximum settings, when I was able to get newer driver versions, but after reinstallations im screwed. Especially now... I play WoT with lower FPS than usual too, WoW with kinda *****FPS as well, used to be so smooth back in the day (just startet up again). The only thing not really affacted is LoL, but thats self explainatory as it doesnt require much.

I hope I provided enough information. I have seen a thread somewhere on google with someone experiencing the EXACT same problem as me, but the people answering him didnt seem to know what they were talking about, or else it was just un-understandable. I will try find the link and post it here, as he was much better at explaining the issue I have.

Graphics Card
Im not very good at computers.. But managed to find it, there are two cards, its one of them.. xD Dunno which one though! Its not Black Edition, thats for sure!

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
ATI catalyst version (ATI Catalyst Install Manager): 3.0.745.0

ATI driver installation CD version: A8.663W

Driver version: I dont know, but its the one provided by the CD installation CD.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-bit (6.1, build 7601). Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932)

Issue Details
My issue is explained above.

Though after I havent been able to update the graphics driver I have been running games like World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, Battlefield 3 with reduced graphics (often good to low graphics options with major FPS issues still, or not being able to play at all (Battlefield 3))

Motherboard or System Make & Model
GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4

Power Supply

Cougar power supply 750w i think.. Cant really check atm. Will find out. Shouldnt be the power supply tho.. http://www.cougar-world.com/

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Samsung SyncMaster P2450 and HDMI cable both from the card to my 32" from Samsung as well.

Applications and Games
World of Warcraft (latest version)

World of Tanks (latest version)

Battlefield 3 (latest version)

Diablo 3 (latest version)

Even League of Legends (latest version) (only when I have the store tab open, everything drops in FPS, 60 steady FPS otherwise though)

Probably more games, havent installed them tho.

CPU Details
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Ed.
Not overclocked.

Motherboard BIOS Version
Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

System Memory Type & Amount
8192 RAM DDR3 - Kingston 1333mhz i think

Additional Hardware
1 TB HDD - 3 case fans

Additional Details
I recently thought (while writing this to you) after i have updates Windows with service packs and so on, i might be able to change my driver...? (always install nesessary drivers right after installation completion, with no service packs) Havent tried that (in a while, have had troubles, but think it might work, but it might also backfire)

11/04/2012 07:19 PM

Author Icon
dmdilks
Button Masher

Is this the driver that you are trying to install from ATI driver download. This is the driver you need.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpud...adeonaiw_vista64.aspx

All you should have to do is download it and run it. In over 16yrs of dealing with computers I have never really had any problems installing video drivers. I have always install over the top of the driver that is installed.

-------------------------

GIGABYTE-GA-GA-X79-UP4 i7-3930K 3.20GHz, G.Skill 32gb DDR3 2133 Quad, His HD 7850 4GB, In Win Glacier 900W, COOLER MASTER HAF 932 , 256gb SSD, Win7 Ult-64bit, 32" LED TV
GIGABYTE-GA-990FXA-UD5R, FX-8150 3.60GHz AM3+ 8-CORE, Mushkin 8gb DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 480-OC 1.5GB, Ultra 750W PSU, IN WIN BUC 101 Mid Tower, Win 7 Pro 64bit - Play around with computer

11/05/2012 08:06 AM

Author Icon
Zwisler664
n00b

My hopes were high. But it resulted in a bluescreen of death during the installation and then it had to restore windows.

And the error message after the restore looks like this:

Problemsignatur: (Problem occuring)

Navn på problemhændelse: BlueScreen

OS-version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Landestandard-id: 1030

Flere oplysninger om problemet: (More information about the problem)

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA80090604E0

BCP2: FFFFF88008608DB8

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Filer, der hjælper med til at beskrive problemet: (Files that helps describing the problem)

C:\Windows\Minidump\110512-50013-01.dmp

C:\Users\Christian\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-68063-0.sysdata.xml

Edited: 11/05/2012 at 08:12 AM by Zwisler664
 11/05/2012 08:07 AM

Author Icon
Zwisler664
n00b

It just wont let me update my driver no matter what.

11/05/2012 08:22 AM

Author Icon
Zwisler664
n00b

Could it be a hardware problem?

11/05/2012 08:52 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Run the installer, let it extract, close it when Setup opens, open Device Manager, select your 5850, right click and select Properties, Driver tab, Update Driver, Browse for the driver, point to where the drivers extracted (for example, C:\AMD\Support\12-10_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4\Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF), follow it through, restart, see if that works.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/05/2012 08:54 AM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

Originally posted by: Zwisler664 Hello. My name is Christian Zwisler, and I have an issure concerning my ATI Radeon HD 5850 XFX card(s). I have two of them, used to be in X-fire, but took one out long time ago, as the cards are too close together and they are overheating because of this (not my issue though!!!).

My problem is that when I want to install a newer driver version (I can ONLY use the driver provided by the CD I got with the card) I cannot get to the windows desktop (this is when i reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and want to add the newest graphics driver so I can game :>. It only shows the background and my mouse curser and it doesnt seem to be loading the OS itself, though the new driver seems to be installed as the resolution is fine... -.-

So my question for you is: WTH is happening? xD

SOMEHOW I have been able to bypass this "bugg" before, tho it required a system restore and a lot of fustration - The new driver werent deleted after I did the system restore.. xD And Im afraid to do it again as it is some time ago and Im hoping others have experienced this and knows what to do!?

Used to play BF3 and stuff on this computer almost with maximum settings, when I was able to get newer driver versions, but after reinstallations im screwed. Especially now... I play WoT with lower FPS than usual too, WoW with kinda *****FPS as well, used to be so smooth back in the day (just startet up again). The only thing not really affacted is LoL, but thats self explainatory as it doesnt require much.

I hope I provided enough information. I have seen a thread somewhere on google with someone experiencing the EXACT same problem as me, but the people answering him didnt seem to know what they were talking about, or else it was just un-understandable. I will try find the link and post it here, as he was much better at explaining the issue I have.

Graphics Card Im not very good at computers.. But managed to find it, there are two cards, its one of them.. xD Dunno which one though! Its not Black Edition, thats for sure!

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History ATI catalyst version (ATI Catalyst Install Manager): 3.0.745.0

ATI driver installation CD version: A8.663W

Driver version: I dont know, but its the one provided by the CD installation CD.

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-bit (6.1, build 7601). Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932) Issue Details My issue is explained above.

Though after I havent been able to update the graphics driver I have been running games like World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, Battlefield 3 with reduced graphics (often good to low graphics options with major FPS issues still, or not being able to play at all (Battlefield 3)) Motherboard or System Make & Model GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 Power Supply Cougar power supply 750w i think.. Cant really check atm. Will find out. Shouldnt be the power supply tho.. http://www.cougar-world.com/ Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used Samsung SyncMaster P2450 and HDMI cable both from the card to my 32" from Samsung as well. Applications and Games World of Warcraft (latest version)

World of Tanks (latest version)

Battlefield 3 (latest version)

Diablo 3 (latest version)

Even League of Legends (latest version) (only when I have the store tab open, everything drops in FPS, 60 steady FPS otherwise though)

Probably more games, havent installed them tho. CPU Details AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Ed. Not overclocked. Motherboard BIOS Version Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG System Memory Type & Amount 8192 RAM DDR3 - Kingston 1333mhz i think Additional Hardware 1 TB HDD - 3 case fans Additional Details I recently thought (while writing this to you) after i have updates Windows with service packs and so on, i might be able to change my driver...? (always install nesessary drivers right after installation completion, with no service packs) Havent tried that (in a while, have had troubles, but think it might work, but it might also backfire)

try unistalling ati completly and install 12.6 CCC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dHQm3ezSq0&feature=g-upl 

this has helped many others, give it a try

11/05/2012 09:16 AM

Author Icon
Zwisler664
n00b

Originally posted by: black_zion Run the installer, let it extract, close it when Setup opens, open Device Manager, select your 5850, right click and select Properties, Driver tab, Update Driver, Browse for the driver, point to where the drivers extracted (for example, C:\AMD\Support\12-10_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4\Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF), follow it through, restart, see if that works.

SIR, you are a life saver! It worked.

And Niteshade, ty for the help u provided anyways! mjuch love to ya both <3

Now i gotta see how things turn out, i will return with some more info soon-ish.

Statistics
84120 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.