Topic Title: Three Monitors
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/11/2012 09:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2012 09:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MaverickScot
Peon

Hey Guys.

After reading a fair bit of posts all over the net about running three monitorsI have a problem.

I currently run two monitors and i do not use eyefinity. My connections were :-

DVI ----> DVI
DVI-----> VGA Adaptor

Now I have a spare monitor so i thought after reading various posts that this setup would work.

MDP (Active) ----> DVI
DVI-----> VGA Adaptor
DVI-----> VGA Adaptor

However I can not get the third monitor that is connect to DVI to be recognised by windows. I am using ultramon software and I have tried eyefinity (obviously at the lowest monitors resolution) but I can only ever get the two monitors to work. I did not want to use Eyefinity until I get three monitors the same.

I have tested the cables and plug the third monitor into another computer so I know those bits work. AMD software does not even recognise the third monitor and that monitor goes to sleep stating no Video connection.

Any ideas or is this setup not possible. According to AMD FAQ's I met the four requirements to run three monitors. On a side note i bought a passive MDP to DVI in error so i know that does not work.

Window 7 64bit
AMD Latest Drivers
Sapphire 6950 2gb DDR5

11/11/2012 07:20 PM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

Hmm what you did wrong was use two DVI-VGA adapters, since only one of the DVI output is DVI-I (digital and analog) and other one is DVI-D (digital only, cant adapt it to analog which VGA is). You would need an active dvi-vga converter if the monitors dont have dvi/hdmi/dp.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 11/12/2012 06:28 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

What inputs do you actually have available on each monitor?  What zipsi said is absolutely correct, but it may be possible to re-arrange things to get up and running without buying an additional adapter.  What you need are two DVI-D inputs.  If you're not sure, specify the makes and models of your displays.

If you already know you don't have the two DVI-D inputs you need, then what you're looking for would be something like this if you have a DP to mini-DP adapter, or this if you don't.

11/13/2012 04:56 PM

Author Icon
MaverickScot
Peon

Cheers guys. That is exactly what was wrong. I did not realise that the two DVI connectors were different. 

Thanks again. My. Monitor setup means I'll need an adaptor. 

Statistics
84866 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.