Topic Title: HD 7950 black flickering and hardware lockup
Topic Summary: Fundamental problem with HD7000 series
Created On: 11/11/2012 12:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2012 12:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PanMaster
Peon

I've noticed black flickering in several games especially Age of Empires 3 on 2 different brands of HD7950's.

To make matters far worse sooner or later there is a crash/freeze with a greyish screen with a striped pattern.

These black artifacts are random in shape appearing for an instant, occuring inconsistently, sometimes often, sometimes less often. Reducing the core frequency had no effect whatsoever.

Drivers since May 2012 all seem to have produced the same results with random artifacts and grey freeze screens.

In conclusion either AMD couldn't care less about the problem and is focusing on optimizations for DX11 games such as Battlefield 3 that I couldn't care less about OR it's a hardware level fault which can't be fixed.

11/11/2012 01:13 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Number 1:

Hi...you need to supply some basic information about your computer before anyone can try to be of assistance.

Please supply the following:

1. AMD graphics card(s)
2. Operating system
3. Processor
4. Power supply (make and model)
5. System RAM (amount)
6. If this is a laptop furnish make and model

NOTE: Laptop questions/issues should be posted in the Notebook Forum

http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=448&entercat=y

Also, you could read  http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=160417&enterthread=y   for additional information.

Number 2:

Uninstall your old drivers using your computer control panel / uninstall a program... you will see 'AMD Install Manager' ..Express uninstall all AMD software including the installer. Reboot. Run Driver fusion (free) http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion  select AMD graphics and delete all it finds. Reboot. Install the latest driver suite for your card. Reboot. You should be good to go.

Note: All current AMD drivers ( 12.9 and above ) require .netframework 4...Please read this before you try and install drivers http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162109&enterthread=y . If you haven't installed it, the CCC panel will not work. You should disable any anti-virus/anti-malware/add blockers/etc before trying to install the drivers.

Number 3:

This is a ported game that has had issues of one sort or another since 2005. There is a setting in CCC that is to be used for old games.... "surface format optimizations"...try enabling that.  

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/11/2012 03:27 PM

Author Icon
PanMaster
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Number 1:

Hi...you need to supply some basic information about your computer before anyone can try to be of assistance.

Let's make it really simple.

HD3850 flawless

HD5770 flawless

HD5870 flawless, Crysis ran like a dream

HD7950: grey striped screens and freezing (known issue), black flickering (known issue), lot's of artifacts in Crysis and Mass Effect 3

Intel HD4000 IGP no artifacts in Age of Empires 3

Number 2:

Uninstall your old drivers using your computer control panel / uninstall a program... you will see 'AMD Install Manager' ..Express uninstall all AMD software including the installer. Reboot. Run Driver fusion (free) http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion  select AMD graphics and delete all it finds. Reboot. Install the latest driver suite for your card. Reboot. You should be good to go.

Note: All current AMD drivers ( 12.9 and above ) require .netframework 4...Please read this before you try and install drivers http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162109&enterthread=y . If you haven't installed it, the CCC panel will not work. You should disable any anti-virus/anti-malware/add blockers/etc before trying to install the drivers.

The drivers since May which would be 12.5 have fixed crashes in Internet Explorer/Firefox (also known issue) - I'll give you that but they haven't done jack for the flickering/artifacting/freezing.

If anything the latest 12.10? driver seems worse than ever, however, I was using the Intel Ivybridge IGP while waiting for a replacement HD7950 and may have go used to not seeing artifacts every 2 seconds.

Number 3:

This is a ported game that has had issues of one sort or another since 2005. There is a setting in CCC that is to be used for old games.... "surface format optimizations"...try enabling that.  

It's PC only. Ported means originally made for consoles. "Surface format opimization" is enabled by default but does nothing noticeable either way.

Not to mention there is a BIG PROBLE with all HD 7870 i heard. AMD got a bad batch of capacitor or something. So all HD 7870 will cause Black Screen and a Buzzing Sound.

I got it on Diablo3 , but so far not on any other games. Seriously starting to question AMD products now. Thinking on moving to Nvidia if possible.

Further evidence supporting my theory that this is a hardware level problem and that is why drivers have no effect.

Hearing stories of AMD using duff caps really inspires confidence.

Edited: 11/11/2012 at 03:43 PM by PanMaster
 11/12/2012 12:51 AM

Author Icon
Nichtswisser
Grinding Levels

Welcome to the club^^

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=160356&enterthread=y

i5 2500k @ 4,2 GHz ][ ASUS P8P67 Pro ][ HD 5850 ][ 8GB Ram GEIL ][ ASUS Xonar DX

11/12/2012 02:39 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

I don't see a point of continuing this thread, it's turned into a "It's not the game from 2005's problem, it's AMD's problem, and they won't fix it" thread.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/12/2012 03:13 AM

Author Icon
Nichtswisser
Grinding Levels

That is because it is an AMD problem which they also acknowledged on another forum:

We are aware of the DX9 flickering and are working on it. I was just informed of that today by our driver team.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318756/amd-12-11-beta-drivers/430

i5 2500k @ 4,2 GHz ][ ASUS P8P67 Pro ][ HD 5850 ][ 8GB Ram GEIL ][ ASUS Xonar DX

11/12/2012 04:18 PM

Author Icon
PanMaster
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion I don't see a point of continuing this thread, it's turned into a "It's not the game from 2005's problem, it's AMD's problem, and they won't fix it" thread.

So it's just a coincidence that I've never had a problem on the 5xxx series and Intel 3570k IGP but as soon as I plug the monitor into the HD7950 there's random artifacting all over the place?

We are aware of the DX9 flickering and are working on it. I was just informed of that today by our driver team.

I'm sure they are aware but I think we have different definitions of "working on it".

The HD8000 series is no doubt the focus leaving the HD7000 series buggy forcing us to upgrade or betray AMD and join evil NVidia.

11/12/2012 04:39 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

In a perfect world, all hardware would have perfect support in all software and there would be no bugs.  In the real world... not so much.  If you had a legacy card, yeah... could be.  That's just the reality of how this stuff gets built.  For current gen hardware... again, not so much.

It used to be that building a good graphics driver wasn't that much different from building any other driver.  These days graphics drivers have a batman factor all their own and are gigantic 100MB+ packages, so again... not so much.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 11/12/2012 at 04:51 PM by Mime
 11/12/2012 04:41 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Pan...did you try the advice below or not?  Also, do you have the option to try the card in another system to see if the issue follows the card or not? 

Number 2:

Uninstall your old drivers using your computer control panel / uninstall a program... you will see 'AMD Install Manager' ..Express uninstall all AMD software including the installer. Reboot. Run Driver fusion (free) http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion select AMD graphics and delete all it finds. Reboot. Install the latest driver suite for your card. Reboot. You should be good to go.

I understand you are frustrated but let's not continue down the itchbay fest path.

Thanks in advance

PS, since this appears to be reproducable (from the sounds of it), and if you haven't done so already, could you please read the thread below and submit a ticket to AMD so that it may be included for correction in a future version release.

**STICKY** | AMD ISSUE REPORTING FORM
Reproducible issues can be reported here.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

Edited: 11/12/2012 at 05:10 PM by Canis-X
Statistics
80976 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.