Topic Title: Linux + Crossfire, do they actually work?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/02/2012 03:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/02/2012 03:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RipperLord
Peon

I've been very curious to see if Crossfire operates at all on Linux since I've been playing a few games on it. I began to doubt the Crossfire support as soon as I apparently turn on the Crossfire logo in the terminal aticonfig, yet it doesn't show up in any of the games that I'm playing.

So I created a little script that I ran while playing various Linux native games to see if the activity or temperature of the second GPU changes under load. Sure enough nothing happened; it sits there idling, cold as rock.

Supposedly Crossfire is enabled.

watch -n10 aticonfig --adapter=all --odgt --odgc

I find that it is very dishonest of AMD/ATi to advertise crossfire support, when it clearly isn't working at all. I've tested this on Fedora 17 64bit (Gnome 3) and Ubuntu 12.04 64bit (Unity); all of which giving me the same result.

They also don't provide a ticket submission for Linux on their support site and are clearly treating Linux users like second class citizens. Their latest driver 12.11 beta 8 claims a massive Left 4 Dead 2 performance boost yet it causes Steam to outright crash, so it's not like you can actually test out a Source engine game (TF2).

Anyone else here having the same issue?

Statistics
85576 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.