Topic Title: Screen Tear Issues
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/04/2012 05:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/04/2012 05:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Klopek
Peon

Crossfire 5770 - 12.11 (Issue present with Crossfire disabled too)

Windows 7 or 8 (x64)

Here's a random one for you which I have ignored for quite some time. I've noticed some games feature screen tearing whether vsync is enabled or not. It occurs in the same area of the screen (middle of upper half) and it becomes particularly apparent in simple horizontal side-scrolling games.

This is what's triggered me to post this, since I've just started playing Hell Yeah! - a 2D side-scroller. The tearing is very distracting. It's almost like the bottom half of the screen is a solid 60fps, while a small area of the top appears very stuttery, as if a lower framerate.

I tried to capture a screenshot to demonstrate this but, shock, I have not been able to capture a single screenshot with a tear in it. It doesn't seem possible! I've even noticed that the brief hiccup caused by pressing the print screen button can actually cure the issue for a moment or two!

I've never noticed this issue on the desktop, only certain games - and they don't need to be demanding games (as demonstrated by my mention of a 2D side scroller, above).

Any ideas at all? My monitor/TV is 60Hz.

12/06/2012 04:47 PM

Author Icon
Klopek
Peon

So, I've just noticed by chance that running the game (in this case Hell Yeah!) in window mode (still the same 1920x1080 full screen resolution) the issue is completely eliminated.

Does this help explain what's going on at all?

12/07/2012 02:41 AM

Author Icon
Max9R
Grinding Levels

That's a weird one, I haven't heard of this issue with a single monitor.  It's pretty common with Eyefinity to have one or some times two of the monitors experience it.  In my case when I was running EF it was the outer two screens that did it.  I never noticed it in games but just would see it while at the desktop.  Video's for instance would do it, but I arranged it so my centre screen was the good one so it didn't bug me too much.  

In your case have you tried using a different output from your video card?  Mine would tear on the DP ports but the HDMI was fine.  If I just ran the DP's without the HDMI it was fine then too.  Or just the DVI with HDMI was fine which is what I'm doing now.

-------------------------

W7 Ultimate x64: Corsair 800D, AX1200
EX58A-UD5, i7 970 @ 4.5Ghz
16GB RipJaws @ 1600
3x XFX BE 7970 Tri-Fire @ 1200/1600
OCZ V3 120GB + WD 2TB Black
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Dell U3011 + WFP2407
Koolance 370 & EK GPU Water Blocks

12/30/2012 03:41 PM

Author Icon
Klopek
Peon

Thanks for that response. Aplogies for my late reply. I have moved to the HDMI  (from the DVI) port and the issue has not been resolved.

I've recently played through Fear 3 and Spec Ops: The Line without even thinking about this issue. I've just moved to Max Payne 3 and it looks like the cut scenes are videos - because they're tearing.

12/30/2012 06:06 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Screentearingwithmultipledisplays.aspx

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/30/2012 06:14 PM

Author Icon
Klopek
Peon

Thank you but I am not using multiple displays.

12/31/2012 02:29 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Never had the issue of the top and bottom half seeming to run at different fps, but I have found V-sysnc to be unreliable with both ATI and Nvidia cards. Depends on the game. With a couple of games I reckon the tear is less evident with V-sync off. I generally only notice tearing with vertical mouse movement.

Never noticed tearing in cut scenes at all. They are video (Bink, etc. ), but wouldn't they be running at a fixed low fps anyway ?

Edited: 12/31/2012 at 02:52 AM by Dinwiddie
 12/31/2012 02:36 PM

Author Icon
Klopek
Peon

I've done some more testing with disappointing results.

My original post may have been misleading when I said this issue was present when CrossfireX is disabled. I had been disabling it through application profiles (and the newer drivers have a checkbox that can disable it for anything without a pre-defined profile anyway). When Crossfire is disabled ‘properly’ through the actual CrossfireX menu in CCC, this tearing issue is not present.

Again, none of the simple 2D games (Limbo, Hell Yeah!) have a CrossfireX profile so I didn't expect there to be a difference. I tried to record a video of this tearing and much like when trying to take a screenshot, it is not possible to capture the tear (or seemingly lower frame rate above the tear). It is not present in any videos or screenshots I've made.

This might seem like a workaround but it’s obviously not ideal for anything that actually needs CrossfireX (like Max Payne 3 – demanding graphics, yet tearing in video cut-scenes)

Thinking it could be related to clock speeds (the cards throttle for less demanding requirements like 2D or video) I tried manually keeping the voltage and clock speeds high with no change. I also tried swapping the two cards around in the system with no change.

Going off CrossfireX now...

ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
Intel i5 750 2.6Ghz
1600Mhz 4GB G.Skill – (Dual Channel 2x 2GB CL7-8-7-24)
2x MSI Hawk 5770
Philips 9732 TV/Monitor
Windows 8 x64

12/31/2012 04:09 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

I wasn't sure if you had done so yet or not but please make sure that you report your issue to AMD via the proper process so that it can be added to the "to-do" list.....thanks in advance!

**STICKY** | AMD ISSUE REPORTING FORM
Reproducible issues can be reported here.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

Statistics
80982 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.