Topic Title: high quality audio transmission produced by a separate soundcard via hdmi-output of radeon hd 7970
Topic Summary: high quality audio transmission produced by a separate soundcard via hdmi-output of radeon hd 7970
Created On: 12/11/2012 04:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/11/2012 04:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tobi
Peon

I built a new computer. All components (despite of the soundcard which was introduced mid 2007 but still sells for about $150) were released in 2011/2012 and are in the medium to high level price segment. In detail: AMD HD Radeon HD 7970, Mainboard ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe, Soundcard ASUS Xonar D2X. The soundcard has analogue 7.1. output (that’s why I bought it because I have an analogue speaker system standing near the computer) and spdif digital and optical outputs at the back (not internal!).

When I use the Xonar soundcard directly (-> device in windows sound menu: „speaker ASUS Xonar D2X Audio Device&ldquo with analogue output in 5.1. everything is fine. The program for the settings of the soundcard says it’s 6 channel sound with a sampling frequency of „PCM 96 Khz“ and an analogue 5.1. output.

I’m having serious problems getting high quality audio to my receiver using the hdmi-output of the graphic card (to watch movies in another room on the television). I searched for a solution for hours but I’m getting confused more and more.

There is an „AMD High Definition Audio Device“ located in the windows sound menu. There is no other Xonar specific device which I could use and the Xonar Device mentioned above has no options to choose hdmi. It seems to work only for the analogue speakers. When I enable the AMD device I get PCM Sound over hdmi to the receiver only in stereo. I have read in the documentation of the soundcard that PCM Sound has only 2 channels and that I have to use Dolby Digital Live or DTS interactive to transport 5.1.+ Sound. So I have chosen spdif output as Dolby Digital Live or DTS interactive in the program for the settings of the soundcard. But whatever I choose it’s only stereo. I’m sure that the receiver can decode DTS and DD and sample rates shouldn’t be a problem either (I tried with 48 Khz as well). Also the hdmi cable (which is older, I guess 1.2.) should be able to transport at least DTS.

What I think is that the spdif option which I can select in the program for the sound settings refers only to the external spdif-exit at the back of the soundcard which I do not use as I want the sound to be transmitted via hdmi (there is a “Xonar spdif sound device” which I could choose as sound source in windows and which probably refers to that external spdif output). So everything I set as spdif output might be irrelevant.

But anyway: Why doesn’t the soundcard transmits the high quality sound to the graphic card via the mainboard? Do I really need an internal s/p-dif connection; I thought that was used before 2005 or so?! And: There must be a connection between soundcard and graphic card already (?) as the receiver (connected to the graphic card via hdmi) produces stereo sound at all. Or is that audio produced by the AMD graphic card itself (I have a Realtek sound device located on the mainboard as well, but I disabled it in bios. I don’t think that disables any function of the mainboard to transfer sound between soundcard and graphic card)??? If it’s really audio produced by the AMD device itself it should allow 5.1.+ as well, as AMD is making advertisements like that for the HD 7970. But in the windows sound menu of the “AMD Audio device” I can only select stereo sound of 48 Khz or below (many people seems to have problems with that but I couldn’t find a solution for my specific problem posted anywhere).

So what I probably need is a possibility to transport the sound produced by the sound card to the hdmi cable without making use of AMD Sound Device. Or alternatively a possibility to tell the AMD Sound Device to “only pass through the sound of the soundcard”. But right now I’m not only sure whether I listen to audio produced by the soundcard (...maybe “down-sampled” by the AMD Audio Device...) or audio produced by the AMD Sound Device....

If that’s only possibly via spdif and I find an spdif input for the graphic card or the mainboard is it possibly to connect the external spdif output of the soundcard (outside of the computer) to an internal spdif input?

Everybody sees: I’m lost. Please help! And information how all the devices work together is highly appreciated...

Btw.: I checked that all drivers have recent dates. That’s the case (mid to end 2012). I’m running Windows 8 64bit. And I bought a Toslink cable as well, but I hdmi would be a much better solution (one cable, receiver and television then work with only one remote control and so on).

Statistics
84332 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.