Topic Title: Hd 6670 Problems
Topic Summary: Blurry text and pictures
Created On: 12/12/2012 01:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/12/2012 01:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Axeman
Peon

Hello all, I hope someone hear can help me with the issue in my topic summary.  First, my computer is a stock four year old Gateway DX4046-UBC101A with a 24-inch monitor (1900x1200).  It had (or has) an integrated graphics using Nvidia 7100/Geforce 630i.  The integrated graphics card struggled to produce 1080p in full screen and play certain video games, so after looking at a lot of cards, I chose an AMD HD 6670 because of it's price and performance abilities.

Now to the problem.  I first uninstalled the Nvidia graphics drivers (which I had downloaded over a year ago) in safe mode and then rebooted to safe mode to load the AMD graphics drivers.  Windows Vista, however, reinstalled the Nvidia drivers, so I opened the control panel to remove the drivers and found "Nvidia Drivers" instead of the previous display driver that I had un-installed.  I clicked on the unistall button and a few things were presented for unistallation, one of which was Nvidia display.  I unistalled that, shut down the computer for a while, installed the video card, and then rebooted to safe mode to install the AMD drivers.

I first tried to install the newest drivers that I had downloaded but they failed to load, something about catalyst couldn't load a detect driver?  (I don't remember exactly what it said.)  I then tried to load the drivers from the CD but that also failed for the same reasons as the new drivers.  I then booted the regular way and then installed the drivers from the CD, and restarted. 

At first everything was like the Microsoft video drivers were still running (everything very large and running in 600x480 or whatever is Microsoft's resolution is), but then I saw the Catalyst Control Center icon in my system tray.  I opened up the center and found the display properties.  After selecting 1920x1200, the screen went to the sharp but very small icons and text.  I changed the DPI to the way I previously had it and restarted the computer.

After rebooting it appeared everything was back to normal, text and images in Explorer, Firefox, Media Player, Mail Live, and on the desktop look fine.  But then I opened Windows Mail (Vista).  When Mail was opening, the initial screen was very large and blurry.  After Mail opened, the text and icons were are all blurred.  The text is still legible and the icons are still recognizable, but I know it shouldn't look like that.  I checked some other programs, and Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAntisyware, Spywareblaster (no they're not all running at the same time), itunes, and ccleaner all have the same blurriness. Even when I attempt to remove a program with the Windows unistall, the text in the removal box that opens is all blurry.

I need some help.  Does anybody have any ideas (or questions) about what's going on with my video drivers and system?  Thank you.

12/12/2012 02:22 AM

Author Icon
csas25
Nerfed

Did you try reinstalling the Windows mail

12/12/2012 02:46 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Do not enable morphological filtering and adjust your clear type settings. Also, FYI, use Driver Sweeper/Fusion to uninstall all Nvidia software > http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/12/2012 02:04 PM

Author Icon
Axeman
Peon

Thanks for the responses.

Morphological filtering is not now nor has ever been turned on, and the clear type settings have no effect on the problem.

I uninstalled the AMD drivers using Windows removal and used driver sweeper on both the AMD and Nvidia drivers.  I then reinstalled the AMD drivers, and at first I thoguht that I fixed the problem, but then I raised the DPI and the problem came right back.  So I think it's more of a DPI problem than anything else. 

The DPI is currently raised to 150%.  When it's at default setting, everything appears normal (though it is hard to tell with such small text and icons).  When the DPI is raised however, the applications that I mentioned look as though either they have a different resolution or a different DPI than the rest of my system.  When the applications are opened, not only is the window very large, but the text and icons are large and slightly blurred.  It makes looking and reading the apps very uncomfortable.

I turned off Aero (which is currently on) and the large windows became very small, and the blurred text became very clear and small.  It appears that the text and windows reverted back to the default DPI.  Everything else remained the same.

Has anybody ever heard of this before? 

If not, should I go back to the integrated Nvidia graphics and get a refund for the video card?  I've never had this problem with Nvidia graphics, and I'm concerned that this problem might not be solvable because AMD's software might be causing this problem. 

I'm incredibly frustrated right now.  Thank you.

12/13/2012 04:54 PM

Author Icon
Axeman
Peon

Ok, I figured out what was wrong.  In Vista, one has to check the "Use XP style DPI scaling" when customing the DPI and using Aero.  Microsoft has more about this on it's website.   

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Ways-to-improve-display-quality 

Click on the part  about high DPI and programs that aren't designed for high DPI. 

I hope this helps anyone who may be as puzzled and frustrated as I was.

Statistics
84274 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.