Topic Title: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 not working at all!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/29/2012 03:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/29/2012 03:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
imanwnms
Peon

I purchased a new gigabyte radeon hd 7950 (GV-R795WF3-3GD) yesterday and I thought I would be happy about it considering the positive reviews I have seen online. Just the opposite.
I put the card into my Pcie 3.0 slot and powered it up with the two pcie 6 pin connectors from my PSU, and have been dissapointed since.
It booted up with those fuzzy colors that really old computers have (16 bit?). I thought that was probably because the drivers were not installed automatically.
I followed the general steps I normally do when installing a graphics card: go online and find the latest driver for the card. In this case, I went to AMD website and used the auto detect function to download and install the drivers and catalyst controller. After the download and installing, I restarted my computer as it asked me to and ....it's gone.
After the windows 7 animation, it does not proceed to the login screen, all I saw once or twice were random lines through the screen and flickering.
I went into safe mode and uninstalled the driver and catalyst controller and I was back to the lowest resolution 16 bit coloured graphics. I tried installing drivers from the gigabyte website and that gave the same result. I even reinstalled windows to see if it was conflicting with other drivers, but nope, same result.
To go back to my intergrated graphics that shows stuff properly, I had to go into BIOS and change my graphics output from PEG to IED so I could atleast login and try to fix it a few times.
I have yet to actually use the card properly. If any help could be provided, I would really appreciate it!
Motherboard: MSI Z77 G43
Processor: i7 3770k stock speed
PSU: Thermaltale 700W

I really need some help quickly because I didn't go on extended waranty and I only have 7 days to return it in case its a bad card.

Thanks,

12/30/2012 01:05 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Gigabyte graphics cards have a three year warranty.  You should work with their tech support to resolve your problem.

12/30/2012 01:51 PM

Author Icon
neo5555
Case Modder

I avoid Gigabyte products like the plague...  nothing but bad experiences for me, especially with their graphic cards...

-------------------------

Pics of my rig
i7 4770k, custom water cooling, 8Gig Corsair Dom 2133 9-11-10-27, ASrock Z87 OC Formula, SilverStone ST-1500 PSU, Creative X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500D , 2xHIS 7970 CF, Asus VW246H Monitor, Win 7 64Bit HP, Corsair 800D Case

Statistics
85401 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.