Topic Title: How to pass video signal without altering it?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/03/2013 12:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/03/2013 12:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
trcns
Peon

I have an HD 4850 video graphic card with HDMI port. I am using my computer as video color pattern generator. I want to pass video signal without altering its colors or as source generated. (These patterns are color pattern to fine tune the AV Projectors and Televisions for movies, not intended to use with computer) The video calibration software company believes that most of the graphic cards have their own color settings and they do not pass the intended signal as source generated without altering it. How can pass this signal over the HDMI without get it affected from Graphic card’s hardware and software. I am using 64 bit windows 7 premium.

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 03:09 PM by trcns
 01/03/2013 04:59 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: trcns

I have an HD 4850 video graphic card with HDMI port. I am using my computer as video color pattern generator. I want to pass video signal without altering its colors or as source generated. (These patterns are color pattern to fine tune the AV Projectors and Televisions for movies, not intended to use with computer) The video calibration software company believes that most of the graphic cards have their own color settings and they do not pass the intended signal as source generated without altering it. How can pass this signal over the HDMI without get it affected from Graphic card’s hardware and software. I am using 64 bit windows 7 premium.

Who said this and where did they get that from....why is it relevant?  Do the colors have to be 100% spot on?  I mean every video card, even the same model, has the potential to render the picture with slight differences in color quality.....the same can be said for monitors, tvs and projectors.....thus the reason for calibration setting options.  To me that is kind of like calling a dead horse.....not rrrrrrreeeeaaaaallllly dead.....kinda doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

TBH, if you wanted something that is dead on, pardon the pun, it is going to cost you big time.....that is the enterprise-level/professional stuff that has really stringent QA practices and requirements.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

01/03/2013 05:14 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Pretty much...  that's why you calibrate the display. I don't have an eye for it myself, but ask anyone who does print work on their machine, and they'll complain for a week about how terrible color reproduction can be on a non-calibrated monitor.

What that company told you sounds like an easy excuse more than anything else.  If the video card is tweaking colors, who cares... that's why you calibrate the display to avoid anything inside the machine from messing with your intended output.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

01/03/2013 05:36 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Yep yep.....besides....LOL....I'm color-blind, so I really don't pay any attention to that apsect what-so-ever....LOL

Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

01/03/2013 06:21 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Good example of how colors are very subjective. Some people you show them a sheet of 20 different shades of white and they can distinguish 20 shades, other people (me included) can't really tell the difference between some of them

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/04/2013 09:49 AM

Author Icon
trcns
Peon

I understand that monitors need calibration.

I was trying to replace AV Foundry VideoForg Pattern Generator. If I could use my PC and its video card as a Reference Pattern Generator, everything else is easy.

Statistics
87467 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.