Topic Title: HD 7770 Configuration
Topic Summary: Can't get this thing to work
Created On: 01/05/2013 07:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/05/2013 07:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bert
Peon

I wanted to set up a computer with three monitors in an extended descktop configuration.  I was informed that the HD 7770 would do what I wanted so I bought it along with the cables and monitors.  However, I cannot get it to work.  I had all 3 monitors working for a few minutes but one has since quit and the other 2 are simply duplicates of each other.So: a) how do I get all 3 monitors to work and b) how do I get the desktop to extend across all 3 monitors rather than simply providing me with duplicates?I checked the help file and it tells me that, in order to extend the desktop, I need to:Standard View—Desktops and Displays > Add/Remove Displays > Extend Desktop.Advanced View—Common Display Tasks > Extend Desktop or Desktop Management > Creating and Arranging Desktops.The only problem is that I don't have a "Desktops and Displays" or "Common Display Tasks".Any suggestions as to where I go to from here?ThanksBert
 01/06/2013 01:30 PM

Author Icon
Bert
Peon

Well, I managed to get the two monnitors to be extensions of the desktop ratherr than simply duplicates.  However, I still can't get the third monitor to work.  If it helps, the monitors that are working are connedted to the DP outputs and then through an adapter to change their output to DVI.  The monitor that isn't working is connedted to the DVI outut on the card.Bert
 01/06/2013 03:50 PM

Author Icon
Bert
Peon

This is getting frustrating.  I can get any two monitors to work but not 3.  Can anyone tell me if this piece of crap adapter will even support the existance of 3 monitors simultaneously?The software is even worse.  If I go into the advanced view, select extend desktop, it presents me with 3 monitor icons but provides me with absolutely no indication as to which icon represents which monitor.  If I select one and extend the desktop to it, I will get that one monitor.  If I then go into the Windows monitor config, I will be able to extend the desktop to one of the remaining two, but not the third.AMD should be ashamed of selling garbage like this.  Setting up monitors on a computer is not exactly rocket science so it shouldn't be this difficult or frustrating.  As an added bonus, if I open the control center and tell it to detect displays, it hangs.  Perfect.
 01/06/2013 04:08 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=161686&enterthread=y

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

01/06/2013 04:16 PM

Author Icon
Bert
Peon

Thanks for the reply but I have already watched that video.  In short, it says that in order to run three monitors, ALL THREE must be connected to the adapter.  Thanks, but I already figured that out.My adapter has 4 outputs: 1 HDMI, 1 VDI and 2 mini DP's.  I am using the VDI and 2 DP's.  As far as I can tell - and there is precious little documentatin from AMD on this - that is a supported configuration.  Unfortunately, their software is of little to no help and it keeps hanging.  And, yes, I have the latest version of the software as far as I can tell (12-10_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4).
 01/06/2013 04:26 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Bert Thanks for the reply but I have already watched that video.  In short, it says that in order to run three monitors, ALL THREE must be connected to the adapter.  Thanks, but I already figured that out.My adapter has 4 outputs: 1 HDMI, 1 VDI and 2 mini DP's.  I am using the VDI and 2 DP's.  As far as I can tell - and there is precious little documentatin from AMD on this - that is a supported configuration.  Unfortunately, their software is of little to no help and it keeps hanging.  And, yes, I have the latest version of the software as far as I can tell (12-10_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4).

Ok...go to this link...scroll down to eyfinity section (and multi-monitors)

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

01/06/2013 04:49 PM

Author Icon
Bert
Peon

OK, I got that.  It says:The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort. The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort. If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it. DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD.2 Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays. Since I am using a vdi and 2 DP's, that means that my configuration is compliant with the first three bullet points, right (avtually the first 2 since I don't need a DVI to DP adapter)?  And the 7770 box states that you can have up to 4 monitors on this card.  I only have 3.
 01/06/2013 04:57 PM

Author Icon
Bert
Peon

How about a really stupid question:  If the requirement is that the first 2 monitors be connected using any display output and the the third MUST be connected via DP, what are the chances that the adapter is seeing monitors 1 and 2 as being connected via DP and monitor 3 connected via VDI?  That would violate the requirements, would it not?  Is there any way to find out what the card considers to be monitors 1, 2 and 3?  Currently, I have no idea and I have found nothing in their software that will show me anything like that.
 01/06/2013 07:12 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

don't you have something in CCC that says "identify monitors"?

01/06/2013 10:17 PM

Author Icon
Bert
Peon

Yes, and it will identify the two that are currently working.  However, that changes when I change what monitors are being used (ie, they are always identified as 1 & 2 regardless of which monitors they are).  Plus, that does not change the fact that in Common Display Tasks -> Extend Desktop there is no indication at all which monitor each icon refers to.  They are all identical.  So, if I extend the desktop to one of them, it is a crap shoot as to which one I just selected.  If the monitors were different models, it might work a bit better but they are all the same.
 01/06/2013 11:02 PM

Author Icon
Bert
Peon

I should also mention that the software tends to be inconsistant.  For example, in Desktop Management -> Creating and Arranging Desktops, the large center portion identifies that I have two monitors but the lower "Please select a display" portion presents me with 3 icons.  Again, though, I have no idea which monitor each of those lower icons refer to.  Obviously, 2 of them refer to the currently active monitors 1 & 2 but I have no idea which ones.
Statistics
85425 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.