Topic Title: Radeon HD 7950 Fullscreen Issues
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/05/2013 10:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/05/2013 10:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ColinG
Peon

I've searched around on the internet for a similar issue, but I'm kind of out of my element here. Please let me know if any more information is required. Thanks in advance for any help!

Issue Details
When trying to launch certain games in fullscreen I get a black screen on my Samsung HD TV saying "Mode not supported," but the game will appear again in windowed mode if I press either "alt+enter" or "alt+tab." Once in windowed mode the games run fine, but I would prefer they be in fullscreen mode instead.

Graphics Card
- Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD
- No overclock

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- 8.982 (I believe), no previous versions installed

Operating System
- Windows 8 Professional 64-bit

Motherboard or System Make & Model
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

Power Supply

- SeaSonic X650
- There is a picture of the side panel on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- Samsung 40" LEDTV UN40B6000 ( http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un40b6000/4505-6482_7-33488068.html )
- 1920x1080 @60Hz
- A short (maybe 4 or 6 foot) HDMI cable connects from my GPU HDMI out to my TV's "HDMI 2" input

Applications and Games

Crysis 2 was the first game I had issues with, but when I turned DirectX 11 off it was able to run fullscreen with no issues. However, I doubt DirectX 11 is the problem (see Total War: Shogun 2 below).

Company of Heroes (CoH) is also causing the same problem, but there is no option to disable DirectX 11, so I have tried using the "Enable GPU scaling" option in the Catalyst Control Center. This allows me to run the game in fullscreen but at 24Hz. I'm not sure if the refresh rate is the problem but the performance is terrible (slow response) using this method.

These are the games I have tested that run fine in fullscreen mode (without GPU scaling or any other work-around): Total War: Shogun 2 (which uses and runs fine with DirectX 11), Civilization 5, Tropico 4, Starcraft 2, Dawn of War 2, Medieval 2: Total War, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 3, Diablo 3, and Anno 2070.

CPU Details
- Intel i7 3770K
- No overclock

Motherboard BIOS Version
- ASUS BIOS 0801

System Memory Type & Amount
- G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Additional Hardware
- SanDisk 256GB SSD (boot drive)
- Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD (data drive)
- 3 Case fans
- No optical drive
- No additional PCI or PCIe devices installed

Additional Details
- What confuses me is that there are many games that run without issue, so why do these specific two (so far) have this problem?
- Crysis runs off the HDD and CoH off the SSD, so I have ruled out any sort of application location issue.
- From what I've read online it looks like this may be caused by issues with compatibility between resolutions and/or refresh rates, but I'm not sure how to solve the issue if that's the case.
- This is a brand new machine

01/05/2013 10:46 PM

Author Icon
andr3_0
Peon

I would try using a different monitor, see what happens.

-------------------------

img

01/05/2013 11:04 PM

Author Icon
ColinG
Peon

Originally posted by: andr3_0 I would try using a different monitor, see what happens.

That's a good idea, I'll see if I can get a hold of another one, but for the time being I don't know if I'll be able to.

Statistics
84245 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.