Topic Title: AMD Radeon R6870
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/11/2013 04:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/11/2013 04:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jackthehatuk
Peon

Hi. I have been running this card perfectly on XP since i got it.

Today i installed windows 7 (64 bit). I do not seem to have all the resolution options i had in XP. The catalyst control centre seems to have a limited number of resolutions compared to what it had in XP. The desktop background for example is fuzzier and doesn't fit the screen and the icons are bigger. I have tried every setting available and nothing works. It has lost is 'crispness'.

I installed the latest drivers for W7 (uninstalled the old ones first). The latest Control centre only seems to show me power usage and presets etc, no options to adjust the screen or anything, it looks like more of an information app than an app you can use to control the settings on you pc. So now i have lost the original Control centre (which had those options) and i have this strange new one which came with the drivers.

I installed the drivers for my monitor. I just seem to be going round in circles and can find no answers that fit my issue.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit vague but i don't know how best to describe it. After hours of messing about today i have fried my brain a bit.

Have an AMD Phenom quad core 2.6 Ghz processor. 4 gig RAM. The pc has the capability but apparently it has more capability then me at the moment. Any help will be most appreciated.

01/11/2013 05:31 PM

Author Icon
jackthehatuk
Peon

Ok. I feel really dumb atm. I just found the solution for 'Icon size', and as usual it was the simplest thing. I also found an image exactly the right size for the background. I am getting there.

I still don't seem to have the ability to just make everything adjust just by setting a certain resolution. (if that makes sense.) It seems that i have to perform more than 1 operation to do what i did with 1 click in XP.

Maybe this is a learning curve? But i did expect technology to advance and it feels like it has gone backwards.

01/11/2013 07:17 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Not having options in CCC usually means that the driver itself and CCC itself are from a different source and mismatched. It may be windows update overwriting your manually installed drivers. Check it.

Another reason can be if you install a package not meant for your card or OS. Make sure you download the version needed.

A good way to check future errors during install is to use advanced mode instead of express, and actually read what it installs. If the display driver or CCC is not listed, prepare for truble, don't even continue until you find out why.

Todo: Uninstall all AMD stuff completely and reboot. Go to windows update and disable the AMD driver it offers. Then download the Catalyst package meant for your card/OS and install it. Then it should work.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
87596 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 9 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.