Topic Title: Help - No sound from HDMI cabled TV plugged into a Desktop!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/14/2013 11:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/14/2013 11:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
irlwizard
Peon

The problem: Do not get any sound from my surround or TV speakers when I plug the TVs HDMI cable into my desktops DVI with an adapter.

Whole Story…

I have an Onkyo receiver (controlling surround) that is plugged into my Panasonic Viera Plasma TV.

Now my desktop is getting old so I want to place it in the living room and use it as a console for Steam games that support a controller…

So today I tried to plug the HDMI cable from the TV into my ATI Radeon HD5970.

The graphics card however only has THREE different ports at the back of the PCI bracket, one VGA, one DVI and finally a micro USB thing that I have no knowledge of.

In my attempt to find a solution I got a spare HDMI to DVI adapter that I plugged into the PCI bracket of my graphics card.

So now my cabling looks like this… Onkyo receiver is plugged into the TV, a HDMI cable from the TV is plugged into the HDMI to DVI adapter that goes into the PC.

The picture works beautifully but not the sound… So tried to download the latest Realtec Audio drivers for 64bit (I have Windows 7 64bit), and Realtec ATI drivers from the same site below.

ATI HDMI Audio Device: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Also have the latest ATI Catalyst drivers but still no sound from the TV or surround.

Therefore I believe that the sound signal is lost in the HDMI to DVI conversion. The HDMI cable carries both picture and sound until it reaches the adapter where only an image can be carrier forward into the DVI. But there must be a way for me to make this work (I could be wrong).

The HD5970 has no pure HDMI output as previously mentioned. But can I use that micro USB thing (whatever it is) to get sound working? If not is there any other solution you guys can think of?

-------------------------
HD 5970 (VGA), GB-X58A-UD5 (mobo)
 01/14/2013 12:45 PM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

Your not going to get any audio from the DVI port or the micro display port( micro USB thing) on the card.

Its strange that you card dose not support HDMI what make of 5970 do you have? ( who made it, XFX, Sapphire, HIS)

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

01/14/2013 02:05 PM

Author Icon
irlwizard
Peon

Originally posted by: Slayerx Your not going to get any audio from the DVI port or the micro display port( micro USB thing) on the card.

Its strange that you card dose not support HDMI what make of 5970 do you have? ( who made it, XFX, Sapphire, HIS)

Gigabyte Branded...

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3254#ov

They claim it is 'HDMI Ready', but people doing Gigabyte marketing are either uneducated or stretch the truth, they probably mean the DVI part of HDMI will work, but not the sound.

Here is a picture to the side panel and review of the graphics card...

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3041/gigabyte_radeon_hd_5970_2gb_video_card/index3.html

What are the mini display ports actually for?

01/14/2013 02:14 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

That's weird it doesn't have an HDMI port... but displayport should be capable of carrying HDMI signaling... that must be what they meant by "HDMI ready".  That they'd call it "HDMI ready" without an HDMI port is... annoying.  I'd check with gigabyte just to make sure that you can get both audio and video using an HDMI to mini-DP adapter, and give that a try if they say it's doable.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

01/14/2013 02:40 PM

Author Icon
irlwizard
Peon

Originally posted by: Mime That's weird it doesn't have an HDMI port... but displayport should be capable of carrying HDMI signaling... that must be what they meant by "HDMI ready".  That they'd call it "HDMI ready" without an HDMI port is... annoying.  I'd check with gigabyte just to make sure that you can get both audio and video using an HDMI to mini-DP adapter, and give that a try if they say it's doable.

Here on their manual for the graphics card...

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3254#manual

Page 4 says... "Supports HDMI connector (by adapter)." Also clarified in the diagram on page 5, HDMI TV to DVI-I to HDMI Adapter into card. Exactly what I had done but don't get any sound.

Page 6 mentions...

"The entire Radeon HD 5970 series support HDMI output which can handle both audio and
video signals. However, audio output from the onboard audio controller or the external
sound card will be disabled when HDMI output is activated.
If no need for HDMI output function, set the onboard audio controller or the external sound
card to be the default Sound Playback device to obtain audio output from your system. For
more details, refer to page 14." But the real info about sound is on Page 13...

Bottom of page 13 says... "Using the picture to the left as the example, to set HDMI audio to be
the default Sound Playback device, select Digital Output Device
(HDMI). Otherwise, select Digital Output Device (SPDIF), which
is the onboard audio controller." Neither work because they are greyed out and with the error 'not plugged in'.

01/14/2013 02:43 PM

Author Icon
irlwizard
Peon

Note the mini display port adapter you get with the card is mini display port on one end and and something I am not familiar with on the other (kinda looks like e-sata or some crap). You can NOT plug a HDMI cable into it.

Maybe third party mini display to HDMI ports exsists that I could buy and try but the included one is not like that. :/

Edited: 01/14/2013 at 02:50 PM by irlwizard
 01/15/2013 12:57 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yeah you'll need something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-DisplayPort-HDMI-Adapter-Cable/dp/B003OC6LWM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358272571&sr=1-1&keywords=Mini+DisplayPort+to+HDMI+Adapter

That has mini displayport on one end, and HDMI on the other.  When possible I generally prefer adapter cables like this one since it saves you from having a big clunky adapter stuck on the back of your PC, but either way would work.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Statistics
81022 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.