Topic Title: 7970 1GHz, strange visual error occurring in applications
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/21/2013 11:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/21/2013 11:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Fitsu
Peon

PC Spec:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
GA-990FXA-UD3
Gigabyte HD7970 1GHz Clock
Novatech powerstation black edition 750W Silent ATX2 Modular
AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz
Corsair CL9 8GB 1866 Ram (running at 1333)
Monitor #1 - BenQ G2450H (HDMI)
Monitor #2 - Philips 230C, CRT (DVI)
Nothing is overclocked

I recently built a new PC and i've been having a strange graphical issue, when i'm running more than one application at a time (such as a youtube video and Diablo 3) which ever application I opened second will have some visual issues appear on it at times. On Diablo 3 I get two small parallel white/black lines scattered around the screen, on a youtube video I get white lines moving diagonally across the screen, on World of Warcraft I get objects that look kind of like a cracked mirror scattered around the screen, on far cry 3 there has been large red squares when I look into the distance and on League of Legends I get black squares surrounding any object I hover my mouse over. Also the issue occurs on both screens so it can't be my monitor dieing.

This issues don't always appear instantly i'll usually need to play for a bit or change a setting, like in diablo 3 change from windows mode to fullscreen although once they have appeared they will always appear instantly when running two applications until I reset. I've found that if in Diablo 3 the shadows are set to medium the issue will go away for a while but eventually it'll reappear.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this, i've updated the BIOS,tried only one monitor, updated Windows, updated firmware on my SSD,  updated my gfx card drivers, tried different graphics card driver versions, turned down the clock on my gfx card, checked temperatures and formatted my PC then tested with the bare minimum installed but the issue remains so I am lost can somebody please help?

A screenshot of what the issue looks like on Diablo 3:

Sorry that it's difficult to see, hard to upload clear images. The red circles were put there by me, i've tried to circle some of the errors so that people can see them clearer. 

Edited: 01/21/2013 at 11:40 PM by Fitsu
 01/21/2013 11:43 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Try software rendering instead of gpu rendering. In IE go to tools > internet options > advanced and select.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

01/22/2013 12:18 AM

Author Icon
Fitsu
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Try software rendering instead of gpu rendering. In IE go to tools > internet options > advanced and select.

I don't want to jump the gun or anything here but I actually think that worked! I'm gnna have to give it more time and tests to confirm, but for now thanks for the fast response n stuff . Will this change have any negative effect on my computers performance? 

01/22/2013 01:19 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Nope. In the FAQ section > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=161234&enterthread=y

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

01/26/2013 01:56 PM

Author Icon
Fitsu
Peon

Originally posted by: Fitsu
Originally posted by: stumped Try software rendering instead of gpu rendering. In IE go to tools > internet options > advanced and select.

I don't want to jump the gun or anything here but I actually think that worked! I'm gnna have to give it more time and tests to confirm, but for now thanks for the fast response n stuff . Will this change have any negative effect on my computers performance? 

Sorry for late reply, i've been busy . But sadly I did jump the gun as the error has now returned even with software rendering enabled. Do you have any other solutions? Also i've tried with a different motherboard and CPU (but the same graphics card) and the issue is still there so it can't be either of those parts. 

01/28/2013 12:25 PM

Author Icon
Fitsu
Peon

The lack of answers makes me worry this is something that can't be fixed.. Does nobody else have any ideas?

01/28/2013 07:52 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Fitsu The lack of answers makes me worry this is something that can't be fixed.. Does nobody else have any ideas?

Reasons for lack of answers:

1. We don't have the issue or don't recognise it as an issue.

2. Your picture is so small we have no idea what it's trying to show us.

Please provide an at least full HD sized image. If you do so, don't embed it here as it will f****** up the forum layout. Just upload it somewhere and post a link.

Use Fraps to capture it directly to BMP or PNG, because JPG has a crap image quality. (I can see your current image is a PNG as well, that's OK, I posted this just in case.)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/28/2013 10:28 PM

Author Icon
Fitsu
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee
Originally posted by: Fitsu The lack of answers makes me worry this is something that can't be fixed.. Does nobody else have any ideas?

Reasons for lack of answers:

1. We don't have the issue or don't recognise it as an issue.

2. Your picture is so small we have no idea what it's trying to show us.

Please provide an at least full HD sized image. If you do so, don't embed it here as it will f****** up the forum layout. Just upload it somewhere and post a link.

Use Fraps to capture it directly to BMP or PNG, because JPG has a crap image quality. (I can see your current image is a PNG as well, that's OK, I posted this just in case.)

Ok, ty. I've used fraps  to try and get a clearer shot of the error yet as it is rather small it's still diffcult to see but as they are literaly covering the screen it's still very noticable when playing. I've also mangaged to grab a screen of the error on wow where it seems to just not be rendering the platform and showing the green water under it.

Does this help at all? Is there any more information I can give?

WoW - http://postimage.org/image/utuiua8u1/full/
Diablo 3 - http://postimage.org/image/so07zs5dl/full/

Again i've tried to circle some of the errors to make them more visable. 

02/02/2013 01:10 PM

Author Icon
Fitsu
Peon

Bump... Still need help with this.

02/02/2013 03:07 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Well, I can see it now. It definitely looks like a hardware issue, a faulty card. You should try it in another computer and if it still does it, get it replaced.

The only thing why I cannot be sure is the fact that you're running multiple applications at a time..

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/03/2013 06:24 PM

Author Icon
Fitsu
Peon

I did a furmark test and let it run for 15min Burn-in with 0x MSAA and my max heat was 80 degrees, during this (while I had no other applications open) there was no artifacts appearing and it didn't stutter or crash. I was informed this means my gfx card isn't faulty, as it was running at 100% without crashing.

What do you guys think? Is there any other tests I can do or anything else it could be? 

Edited: 02/03/2013 at 06:44 PM by Fitsu
Statistics
85760 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.