Topic Title: AMD, please be there for the Mac community!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/22/2013 10:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/22/2013 10:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
paulthetall
Peon

I also posted this on the Tech lounge, but I think its more on it place up here.

=============

Dear AMD technicians,

Here a cry fromout the Mac community. I think it is time for AMD to act for a change. The Mac has a few hundred games  which are nativly for the Mac. thats quite a low amount. Luckily there is a way out called "Wine". Wine is opensource program to play windows games on the Mac. This expands the range of games tremendous! This also means that because of the variaty of games the drivers needs to be advanced.

Before yelling that Wine is under constant development and a lot of graphical glitches are the fault of wine itself which I agree in some cases it is true because of the development. Still there are quite a number of things which is the fault on the AMD driver part. And as owner of paulthetall.com and representitive of about 6000 Mac users a day I cry for help. Because there are a quite number of games which do work fine on an Nvidia and Intel graphicscard using wine and not on AMD which should be not the case because AMD Radeon graphics should rule!

I made a video of some of the important games with the glitches up here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH1aSEH3mQg

I talked with a very experienced directx wine developer and he said that this specific is issue has to do with: " the driver falls back to software rendering if more than 1024 vertex shader uniforms(or 246 4-component vectors) are used. The driver advertises a lot more than 1024 uniforms and the hardware should be able to do more than 256(it does on other drivers) The 256*4 uniform limit is mostly fine for Wine's purposes, but the driver needs about 10 vec4's for its own use, which pushes the amount of usable uniforms way below the limit of 256*4 that should be available for d3d9 games *technically* it is not a bug it is a valid driver limitation that applications are supposed to deal with the problem is that d3d9 applications expect to have 256 uniforms available, and the only way they deal with a smaller amount is refusing to run and wine can't magically increase the uniform limit either"

It seems in the past there has been a mail correspondence with AMD but there has been done nothing about it. on the ever enduring todo box.

So please I urge you guys to update the Mac Apple AMD drivers for this cause and work more closely with the Wine Developers so more and more games will be running on AMD graphics card.

Although this issue is on all AMD radeon gfx cards. The one I tested is my AMD radeon 6770M gfx card with 512mb with 10.8.3 Mountain Lion.

many Many thanks in advance from the Mac community

-------------------------
Mac gaming is the best
 01/22/2013 10:46 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

As a peer-to-peer gaming forum...your post is not getting to the right people. Here is the contact for AMD...let them know of your concern.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=161716&enterthread=y

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

01/22/2013 12:19 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

OSX video driver updates are controlled by Apple. AMD cannot do anything, you'll have to contact Apple, as always.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
84892 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.