Topic Title: ATI Radeon HD7950 Frustration
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/28/2013 09:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/28/2013 09:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Altimos
Peon

I'm currently crossfiring two ATI Radeon HD7950 cards on a RAMPAGE IV. Running Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit). I had the Catalyst Control Center v12.8 installed. Several weeks after installing it, the drivers would cut out reverting to Window Drivers. I would then restore to a previous backup image only to have the same results happen a couple days later. I tried updating to Catalyst Control v12.10 but it would cause my computer to crash, and upon using Last Known Good it would restore my computer to utilizing the Windows Graphics Driver, but it would cause my onboard LAN drivers to fail. So I restored once again to a previous image until the video drivers failed and resorted back to the Windows graphic drivers.

I went a few months with just Window Drivers so I can do all my school work. But now I thought I'd play Skyrim again, but it won't let me because it says I don't have video drivers installed. I'm still using Windows Drivers.

Here is the funny part... I updated to Catalyst Control v13.1 but it crashes to a blue screen... and upon utilizing the last known good again, I run into the same problem with the onboard LAN drivers failing.

It is not a virus, because I loaded, and reloaded my computer several times and only used it to write essays for school. All research for the essays was done on my laptop, so my computer never accessed any website other than windows update.

I've tried everything short of taking my computer apart and only running one video card versus two... but I don't see the corralation between my Video drivers and my LAN drivers. Why would one cause another to fail after utilizing the LKG, and why is all of this happening in the first place? Does anybody have any clue as to what could be the cause, because I'm at a lose on this and any help would be greatful.

Also, when I tried to reload my LAN drivers upon my system crashing from updating the video drivers (utilizing LKG as stated above), the drivers would load but still wouldn't work even though windows says the device is working properly. So wierd...

Help...

-------------------------
"A true warrior enters the arena with all his powers at the ready" ~Akuma
 01/28/2013 10:56 AM

Author Icon
player82
Peon

i'd say motherboard failure or harddisk currupted

01/28/2013 07:23 PM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

Go to safe mode and use driver fusion or driver sweeper to get rid of all AMD related drivers, run windows normally and install Catalyst 13.1, reboot when prompted. Lan driver corruption was probably related to the bsod which may happen, I've had my sound card drivers corrupted due to random crash once. If motherboard would be dead, you wouldn't be able to boot at all and if hdd would be corrupted, you would get a long list of corrupted system files.

Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 01/28/2013 07:29 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Altimos  Several weeks after installing it, the drivers would cut out reverting to Window Drivers.

Do you mean the VGA drivers or the one that comes from Windows Update (or may be built into the OS)?

If you see "Standard VGA graphics adapter" or something like that in the device manager, it's the first one. If you see "Radeon 7900 series (Microsoft Corpration - WDDM 1.1)" or something similar, you're using the MS drivers from Windows Update.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/31/2013 06:21 PM

Author Icon
Altimos
Peon

*UPDATE*

Okay, so I went ahead and download Driver Fusion, and ran it in safe mode and removed all CCC and AMD driver info. Rebooted and loaded CCC 13.1 in normal mode. Succussfully loaded and rebooted on it's one, however once it got to the windows loading screen, it was stuck on the colorful windows logo... I let it go for several hours thinking it was still loading for some reason but it just sat there. I hard booted my computer and it went through and made it to the login screen except there was no login screen. How I knew I was at the login screen because the "you are at your login screen windows chime" sounded. I typed in my password, but the screen was still black (monitor was working, and wasn't blinking because it was recieving a signal from my computer) but you can't here the "you just login and at your desktop windows chime.

I went ahead and did ALT+F4 a few times and managed to get it to logoff... looks as though I wasn't able to get it to reboot. So I hard booted it again. This time after rebooting, I was able to see the login screen and then login. However upon reaching the desktop the infamous AMD alert window popped up saying something to the lines of AMD drivers failed to load... or something like that. One of these days I'll actually write it down versus just clicking past it in a haze of anger.

Also, I'm using crossfired HD7970... not 7950, my appologies. I'm also running 32 GB of memory, Intel i7-3930k CPU at 3.2 GHz (Not overclocked).

When I go to Device Manager, both display adapters are showing...

1. AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
  2. AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

They are also automatically disabled due to the drivers not loading...

Any additional help would be appreciated...

Thanks

01/31/2013 06:55 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

In your place, I would first boot with a Memtest86 disc, and let it run overnight. 

If no memory errors were found, I'd test each graphics card individually.

A hardware fault of some kind seems very likely, given your problem description.

01/31/2013 11:20 PM

Author Icon
Altimos
Peon

*UPDATE*

Okay, so I went into the device manager and forced the display adapters to be enabled. That seemed to have fixed the problem, after rebooting the drivers remain enabled.

So the question is will this remain, or will it revert back in two weeks just like if I had reloaded versus all the stuff Zipsi told me to do.

Also, Zipsi I seem to now be having your issue but it might be different. Now under the System Device section are two audio controllers.

1. High Definition Audio Controller
  2. High Definition Audio Controller [This device cannot start. (Code 10)]

I tried disabling it, but upon restarting it reenables itself. And of course when you uninstall it, it just reinstalls itself upon doing a scan for hardware changes. I went into the Windows Sound Options, and removed all other devices under there except for speakers. Which is also wierd, because I can only get stero versus 5.1 dolby sourround sound (current speaker configuration), and all plugs are plug correctly into the motherboard as I had 5.1 after reloading a few months ago.

Maybe I should think about reloading again... *cries* Or I'll just have to tear this computer apart, something I don't really want to do since I'm dealing with college classes right now.

Thanks for all the help, and hopefully you guys can shed some new light with the new info I gave you. And yes Eydee I'm now showing AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series for both devices under the display adapters section under the Device Manager... now I'm having this issue with the high Definition Audio Controller. And yes, I still get sound... though it's just stero versus 5.1.

Thanks again all, now if you'll excuse me I have to start on this Rhetorical Analysis essay which is due in 12 hours

02/01/2013 03:15 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

The second Audio Controller probably belongs to the second crossfired gpu which cant start if there isn't a hdmi cable plugged into it.

Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 02/01/2013 05:52 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Altimos I went ahead and did ALT+F4 a few times and managed to get it to logoff... looks as though I wasn't able to get it to reboot. So I hard booted it again.

Just a side note:

When something like this happens, only reset the PC if it's completely frozen. It can hurt your disks and the file system on them.

You see, there's a power button on most keyboards and one on all PC cases. Use them to shut down the computer when you're in blind mode.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/04/2013 10:13 PM

Author Icon
Altimos
Peon

Thanks Eydee but, I've been in database administrator and information systems security for 15 years with the Marine Corps.

My computer is home built, so I don't have a reboot button on my keyboard (as suffisticated as a gaming keyboard comes), but when I mean hard boot, it's pushing and hold the power button on my tower, it's really the only way to do it when you get a black screen, unless you want to blindly try and find the restart button on the windows login screen with your mouse.

My computers video drivers failed again, so this time it less than 5 days to do it. And with the secondary HD audio drivers failing, it may point to my problem in the second video card.

So when I have time, I'm going to removed the second video card and just run only 1 instead of crossfiring. I was thinking I might swap out the crossfire cable, but I have to find my extra one... it's around here somewhere.

If anybody has some insight into my problem now that it has replicated, I would greatly appreciate it.

02/04/2013 10:41 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

As far as blind shutdown goes, you can configure Windows to do a shutdown on a single press of the power button. 

Beyond that, provided you have a suitable client, you can either telnet in and use the "shutdown" command, or remote desktop in and do the same (shutdown from the start menu won't be enabled in a remote session).

If something munges my graphics driver, I RDP in from either my laptop or one of my Android phones, and use "devcon" to restart the driver, or initiate a shutdown if that doesn't work.

Regarding your problem, I'd still check the RAM before doing anything else.  Flaky memory can cause all sorts of problems, and the longer you use it, the more risk you have of corrupting your OS installation beyond repair.

Statistics
84685 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.