Topic Title: Radeon HD 6970 Overheats instantly
Topic Summary: Temperature rises instantly & similar to workload
Created On: 02/06/2013 04:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/06/2013 04:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Corebee
Peon

Hello dear supporters ,

i have some issues with my HD 6970, maybe someone knows the problem already.

Here are some information:

Graphics Card
- Radeon HD 6970
- no overclocking, just the AMD Overdrive with default settings.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History

Operating System
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1

Issue Details
- Whenever the Card is under usage, doens't matter how minimal oder massive the workload is, the fans and the temperature of the GPUs is rising similar and instantly (GPU-Z and CCC Monitor)

IF its Idle: Temperature and fans are normal (GPU-Z 47°C)

For example opening a Browser: Temperature instantly rises to 67°C fans are slightly faster till the windows is loaded

opening a Game: Temperature insantly rises to maximum, and fans are on maximum too, because workload rises as well

EDIT: To sum it up: If the workload rises or falls, in the same moment the temperature does the same thing (from 45°C to 105°C). So the fans react to it. That doesn't look right to me. Normally the temperature rises slowly, so the fans adjust themselves to that.

Power Supply

- Corsair CMPSU-750HX

Mainboard:
- P8P67 PRO Rev.3.1

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- DVI and SyncMaster P2250G

Applications and Games

- every app

CPU Details
- Intel Core i7-2600K
- no overclocking

System Memory Type & Amount
- ADATA Game Series 16 GB ( 4 x 4 GB Modules)

Additional Details
- already tried:

- replace RAM (every module)

- replaced cables from Power supply to the card

- removed graphics card, and put it back in

- deleted driver, deleteded the rest of driver files with driver sweeper and tried to reinstall (APP SDK Runtime, always fails to install)

I think the temperature ist not rising, its just a failure in the driver or utility.

I hope someone can help.

If you need further information please let me know!

Thanks in advance

Corebee

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 08:02 AM by Corebee
 02/06/2013 07:39 AM

Author Icon
Fishman
Master Looter

Originally posted by: Corebee Hello dear supporters ,

To sum it up: If the workload rises or falls, the temperature does the same thing. So the fans react to it. That doesn't look right to me.

This IS how its supposed to work. Card gets hot and the fans cool it down. The hotter it gets the faster the fans work.

Open your case and feel the back of the card when you see a high temp reading.

Is it too hot to touch? Maybe replace the thermal paste.

Have you ever blown out the dust bunnies in the heatsink?

Good airflow in your case?Add more fans maybe.

-------------------------

GA-MA-790FXT-UD5P/ AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black/2 x XFX HD5870 /RipjawsX 2x4gb DDR3 1333/ Corsair TX750M/ Antec 900 case/ Windows 7x64 Ult.

02/06/2013 07:49 AM

Author Icon
Corebee
Peon

Yes you're right, thats how it works normally, thats not the problem. But if you hold your hand right over the card its not even hot, its just warm.

The airflow is cool, and there is nearly no dust in the way.I clean it every severals weeks

THE PROBLEM is: The heat recognized can't be true, it changes just in a second from 45°C up to 105°C and than back to 45°C. You knwo what i mean?

So the fans are goin up, down, up, down, and so on... Just how the workload is, not like the real temperature.

Couple of days ago, it was just a normal noise of the fans, goin up when the temperature rised slightly.

I dont think there is a process which can raise the temperature from 45°C to over 105°C just within a mili second.

What i wanted to say, was, it can't be the temperature, just the monitoring is wrong, so the fans going wild.

02/06/2013 08:20 AM

Author Icon
Corebee
Peon

Another test showed the following:

I completely removed the driver and its features. And used the Windows-Standard Driver for the graphics card.

Now when i monitor the temperature and fans when i'm opening programs, and videos. The temperautre nearly stays the same, just a slight raise is recognizable. The fans stay the same.

As soon I use the Catalyst the whole thing goes wild again.
So i really think its just a software problem.

02/06/2013 08:45 AM

Author Icon
Fishman
Master Looter

Maybe its just the 13.1 drivers.

Here's a list of drivers,new and old. Maybe one of these will solve the issue.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_categories/videocards_ati_catalyst_vista_win_7.html

GA-MA-790FXT-UD5P/ AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black/2 x XFX HD5870 /RipjawsX 2x4gb DDR3 1333/ Corsair TX750M/ Antec 900 case/ Windows 7x64 Ult.

02/06/2013 09:02 AM

Author Icon
stargaz3rr
Grinding Levels

Yeah, try using the older driver.

Right now i'm still using the 12.8 driver since i have no problem with it.

Maybe you should try using 12.8 like i do and see if it works.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, Intel i5 3570k 2x4 GB Kingston, Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-XSeasonic M12II 850W, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Seagate 500GB, Seagate 2TB

02/06/2013 09:37 AM

Author Icon
Corebee
Peon

Alright! Like you said i tried different drivers.

Following Versions: 12.8, 12.10, 13.1, and the beta of 13.2.

But in the end it didnt matter which one i used. With the 12.8 Version i even had failures starting some programs, some just didnt start anymore, till i deinstalled the driver again. *sigh*

Maybe i have to re-install the OS. Because i know i have used the 12.8 too couple of months ago, and it all worked fine. Unfortunately i can't tell since when these problems started.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: Even deinstalled the MS Visual C++ 2010 (x32/x64) and reinstalled it manually, with no effect :/

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 09:50 AM by Corebee
 02/06/2013 03:24 PM

Author Icon
Corebee
Peon

OK, new system but still no difference.

Completely new OS is installed (Win 7 Ultimate x64) still the same problem.

So i think its probably a hardware failure?A broken temp. sensor?

Or could it be something else? the Power supply, or some other parts?

Can someone help?

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 03:39 PM by Corebee
 02/06/2013 04:17 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Corebee Temperature insantly rises to maximum...

There's no such thing, temperature only has a minimum value, 0K (Kelvin). It can go up to infinity.

Just b*********tching. You have a card with a bad heat sensor. Hardware fault, not "software or utility". RMA it if you can.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/06/2013 04:34 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

A lack of proper contact between GPU and heat sink will show those symptoms exactly.  Temperature will shoot up very quickly, but the card will not feel hot because the heat is not being transferred from the GPU to the heat sink.

If the card is under warranty, have it replaced.  If not, take it apart to remove the heat sink, after getting some decent thermal compound (something non-conductive).  Clean off all old compound from the GPU and heat sink, apply new compound (a blob the size of a rice grain), and re-attach the heat sink retention system.  Now take it apart again, and make sure good contact was made.  You should see a uniform thin spread of compound on both the heat sink and GPU, with the metal/ceramic visible across the entire spread, punctuated by little peaks of compound sticking up.  If you don't see that, then something is wrong with your GPU retention system (bracket, screws, whatever), and you'll need to figure out how to fix it.

One thing, however, makes me suspect that might not be your problem.  You didn't mention that the system was shutting down, which is what I'd expect if it were really a matter of bad heat sink contact.  If the card is reporting 105C without ever reaching thermal shutdown, it could very well be a bad temperature sensor.  If that's the case, you're largely out of luck.  You could create a manual fan profile in something like MSI Afterburner that reduces the max fan speed, but that leaves you vulnerable to genuine overheating. 

Have  you contacted tech support of the card's manufacturer?

02/06/2013 05:14 PM

Author Icon
Corebee
Peon

@Thanny:

Ah tanks for the adivce, just in the moment i have read your comment, i finished my mail to the dealer where i bought the card for a RMA querry. Unfortunately ASUS leaves the RMA to the dealers and is not handling it by themselves.  (The card is 16 months old now, and ASUS guarantee should be 36 months for hardware parts, so that should be alright than) 
If not, i will try to renew the heat sink, and se what i got then.

It was not really shutting down, i had some black screens when the heat was constantly up. Then I had to restart the machine, and everything looked ok again. All the status monitors were normal.

For example, if I just start SCII or Battlefield 3, and stay in the main menu of the game it is enough workload to push it to the max (Fan Speed 100%, Temperaturs over 105°C) Weeks before when i was just in the menu, the card was still at 50°C and calm.

I will report back when i got some news to that issue

02/07/2013 03:49 PM

Author Icon
Corebee
Peon

Alright, I FINALLY found the issue.

I renewed the heatsink on the card and reassembled the whole card. And put it back in the slot.

The issue was still the same.

While the benchmark was running i was moving the cables from psu a bit.
Than in a second the card went down to normal and fan speed as well.

Then i realized it wasn't the cables. Whenever the card just hangs in the pci-e slot with its own weight the card runs wild. When i hold the card slightly up at the rear end, its working all like before, and like it should be.

So there is now hardware issue with the card itself, or a driver problem, there is just a problem with positon and the weight of the card. When its just hanging there is a contact problem at the slot.

Solution: I hold the rear end of the card up, with a small piece of hard plastic.

Better Solution: A better case where the card is not just hanging in the slot.

Thanks for your support anyways.

02/07/2013 06:17 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I wonder if those little slot-locking widgets are still around.  People used to sell those back in the AGP days when lan-party-goers had their cards falling out of the slot in transit.  Usually the little locking clip at the end of the PCIe slot takes care of it these days.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

02/07/2013 07:18 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

That's certainly an odd problem to have.  The back should be held in by the clip, and the front by a screw. 

Glad you figured it out.  I wouldn't have imagined a poorly seated card would even function that extent.  Usually it means no boot at all.

02/07/2013 07:41 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

could be the PCIe slot is damaged

might be time for a new motherboard

Statistics
85741 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.