Topic Title: Okay y'all - someone figure this one out!!! It's a dandy.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/10/2013 02:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/10/2013 02:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Dekade
Peon

Following is a 12 month old issue that I have been trouble shooting. Today, 02/10/2013, I was finally able to zero in on the problem producing factor.

However, the “total” solution (to me) is now nowhere in sight.

After I tell you the issue you will see the list of hardware and software attempts that were used up until today when the “SIMPLICITY” of the problem “YET COMPLEXITY” of the problem [still not fully resolved] was discovered as a result of a final trial and error procedure.

Section A - ISSUE:  During Playback of Recorded Files a “ graphics ‘seam’ ” occurs

1)            Desktop computer used only for email and web browsing also doubling as HTPC.

2)            All viewing done via an AMD Radeon HD6870 graphics card serving an HDTV and a Dell E228WFPc digital desktop monitor.

3)            Graphics card settings set to supply a ‘duplicated desktop’ scenario.

4)            HDTV is connected to the graphics card via a HEAVY DUTY 30 foot long high quality HDMI cable

5)            Dell monitor connected via DVI cable

6)            Computer used to record OTA TV programs via a TV Dual Tuner attached to computer

7)            All recording done via Windows 7 Media Center

8)            During Playback of Recorded Files a “ graphics ‘seam’ ” occurs. This is a continually vertically scrolling ‘horizontal seam’.

9)            All recorded playback viewed on a Sony 46” HD TV from 01/01/2012 through January 24th, 2013.

10)         From 01/24/2013 thru today 02/10/2013 all playback viewed via a 46” HD Samsung 7100 series Smart TV.

Section B – SOLUTION DISCOVERED on 02/10/2013: How the issue was temporarily eliminated but not fully solved.

1)          Desktop tower moved to within 2’ of  Samsung HDTV

2)          12’ long HDMI cable then connected the Radeon HD6870 and the Samsung 7100 series Smart HDTV

3)          No Desktop monitor connected via DVI cable

4)          Recorded playback initiated.

5)          ABSOLUTELY NO SCROLLING SEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!  Outstanding picture quality!!!

6)          Desktop computer is placed back into its stationary location.

7)          30 foot long HDMI cable reconnected.

8)          DVI monitor cable reconnected to the top female receptacle on graphics card

9)          Recorded playback initiated.

10)       ‘seam’ problem again present.

11)       Removed the DVI to desktop monitor cable.

12)       Recorded playback initiated.

13)       ABSOLUTELY NO SCROLLING SEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!  Outstanding picture quality!!!.

14)       Monitor via DVI cable reconnected to bottom plug on graphics card

15)       Recorded playback initiated.

16)       ‘seam’ problem again present.

17)       DVI cable again removed thus again completely eliminating desktop monitor

18)       Recorded playback initiated.

19)       ABSOLUTELY NO SCROLLING SEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!  Outstanding picture quality!!!.

SO – There you have it! Problem appears to be HDMI and DVI cannot cohabitate together

Issue solved ‘partially’ after:

1 - Radeon HD 6850 graphics card

1 - Radeon HD 6670 graphics card

1 - Radeon HD 6870 graphics card (current)

2 - 30’ long high quality expensive HDMI cables from completely different manufacturers; 1 of which is currently back in place

1 - 12’ long high quality expensive HDMI cable used for trial scenario

12 months of various RMA’s and replacements

12 months of 5 different forum discussions

10 different AMD Catalyst Suites tried and correctly unistalled and installed

Current Catalyst Suite being used: 11.12 with cap3

Most current Catalyst Suite 13.1 and 12.11 CAP 2 also trialed

Standard VGA cable cannot be trialed onto any Radeon HD 6xxx series cards

Countless hours of fine tuning Media Center AND the Radeon HD 6xxx series cards

NOW I will be unplugging the DVI cable to the desktop monitor “every time” I want to watch HIGH QUALITY playback of WIN 7 MEDIA CENTER recorded programs. YUK, YUK, YUK, and again YUK!

SO – How on earth can I get the Dell monitor to remain plugged in but have a no problem playback via HDMI?

That is the question; and the reason for this entire post.

Any help would be MORE than greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

-------------------------

Thanks,

Dekade

02/10/2013 02:59 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Use "extended Desktop" istead of duplicated desktop

I have a very sinilar setup, with a DVI monitor and an HDMI TV...  both monitors have different resolutions (and even if they don't have different res they are not identical) so your best bet it to extend the desktop instead.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

02/10/2013 03:30 PM

Author Icon
Dekade
Peon

So - you think that will make the scrolling video "seam" go away?

Thanks,

Dekade

02/10/2013 03:45 PM

Author Icon
Dekade
Peon

At this point your suggestion is not a solution because the HDTV will only display the wallpaper in "extended". No icons, no taskbar, no nothing shows in extended. I have to be able to control the desktop from the HD TV just as if it were the monitor.

Thanks,

Dekade

02/10/2013 06:18 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Well the next thing then would be to first make your TV your Primary display and then duplicate that...  hopefully that will put the TV into it's default native resolution and frequency and thus removing the "seam".  It's just a guess, but worth a try

BTW...  did the seam go away when you extended the desktops?

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

02/11/2013 09:38 AM

Author Icon
Dekade
Peon

I don't know whether this post should now be closed or not. Maybe left open to see if AMD has a comment or two. I'll let AMD moderators decide that with a reply, or two, or, more.

A large thank you for your assistance.

Until this posting I never saw the need to investigate the theory behind 'extended desktops'. This posting and your replies set that investigation into motion. So, I researched and placed into action the procedure of extended desktops.

I was amazed at what potential that opens up. I never 'got it' before. Thus, applying the procedure to my application I have completely eliminated the seam and NOW have OUTSTANDING HD quality!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the 'DUH' moments on my part but I guess that is what "learning" is all about if one is willing to take the time.

If I were to continue with my original plan of attack I would not want the TV to be the primary.

That said I still believe there might be room technically to figure out why my original 'duplicated desktop' did not produce 100% quality.

For future Show and Tell needs I think that it would be a graphics benefit to the public to find a solution.

I would like to see or request that AMD research and implement a solution. "I" think it would be worthwhile. Others might just toss it to the wind.

Thanks again!

Thanks,

Dekade

02/11/2013 06:53 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

For me I have used Extended Desktops since my S-Video days (10+ yrs)...  and now I have a player that allows me to use, load and edit on my Monitor; but when I hit play it jumps full screen over on my TV.  I also have a remote so there is zero need for me to have a cloned desktop.  I just need a desktop to play my games and videos on 

I am glad my replies have helped

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

Statistics
85791 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 9 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.