Topic Title: Switching to integrated graphics for a while
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/15/2013 10:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2013 10:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jtlreimer
Peon

I have a desktop computer with an ASRock H55M-GE motherboard, Core i5 661 and Radeon HD 5670. I'm looking for a way to use my dedicated card only when I play games, which isn't frequently, and otherwise use the intel integrated graphics. I don't have a firm grasp on available scenarios, so I could really use some hlep.

Ideally, I wish I could plug my monitor into the dedicated DVI and integrated HDMI at the same time, and just switch to the integrated when I want. If this were even possible, I'm under the impression that I can't cut power to the AMD card anyways, that it would still be idling. Is this correct?

In this case, is my only option to actually UNPLUG the card and then plug it back in and reinstall when I need it? That would be very lame. Thanks for any help.

02/15/2013 11:09 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

That IS your only option without switching to an APU system.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/15/2013 11:12 AM

Author Icon
jtlreimer
Peon

So just to be sure: there's nothing I can do in the bios to cut power to the card?

Edited: 02/15/2013 at 11:44 AM by jtlreimer
 02/15/2013 12:52 PM

Author Icon
claudiuo
Peon

tbh , virtu is just commercial gimmick without real helpfullness. Like most products today : it is awesome in theory but in practice it sucks.

It promises to save energy but in fact it does the exact opposite. Most of new games will probably be handled by the dedicated c. anyway.

It had a real use if it could turn off the videocard.But fail.

There is NO way it will TURN OFF the dedicated videocard. Doubt this is a hardware issue but more of "we don't know how to do it".

To gamers it is a pain in the ^^. It is not compatible with Steam (so  steam games are not detected as exe's are not launched directly so the app does not detect them) Anyway, it's just crap. No energy save , performance hits (don't trust the reviews , they're just money money money written all over them ) etc.

I see no reason to enable virtu. You end up with a HD4000+ Idle Dedicated instead of Idle Dedicated v. card. If it could shut down the dedicated card , yes that would be an awesome advantage. But ...

02/16/2013 01:04 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

IF your bios supports it, you can prioritize which gpu will be loaded first, the onboard or the dedicated, then you just have to switch the cables.. The dedicated one won't be completely shut off, but it would be like brain dead and stand idle all the time. And Steam isn't that bad, tunnel your hate towards Origin.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 02/16/2013 08:14 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

I was switching between the two in BIOS (a cable attached to each), but somewhere along the line I started having a problem with that method, and was having various issues such as having to remove and replace the cable from the HD4000 output when booting into Windows or be stuck with a black screen (didn't matter which input the monitor selected - VGA for the HD or DVI for the AMD).

I've been switchintg via Device Manager since then (hotkey for Device manager). I was assuming this would create a minimum power state for the AMD card. The fans still run obviously, but not much else. CCC is not accessable, and the same is true with the HD4000 when it is disabled.

Sometimes Windows gets a bit confused and thinks I need to install drivers for the AMD, but for the most part it works better than rebooting and going through BIOS. The worst that happens is having to reboot -  .

I'm wondering how much power I save though. I've read the 7000 series is very good with power at idle, and not much more than when using the HD4000 anyway, but hey ! This integrated thing is a new toy so I switch, just because I can.

Don't know about other games on my Steam account but when I forget to change and launch Skyrim I get a message that it is readjusting the settings down.

Edited: 02/16/2013 at 08:31 AM by Dinwiddie
 02/17/2013 04:38 AM

Author Icon
claudiuo
Peon

Originally posted by: Dinwiddie I was switching between the two in BIOS (a cable attached to each), but somewhere along the line I started having a problem with that method.

That method is not supported either by Virtu or Intel and it is not recommended.

02/17/2013 08:35 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: claudiuo

That method is not supported either by Virtu or Intel and it is not recommended.

For what reason ? If it's going to bork my cpu I'll give the HD4000 away altoghether and stick with the 'real' gpu.

I can imagine Lucid Logics wouldn't like it, but I found that neither 'I' mode of 'D' mode suited my needs/wants.

Statistics
87373 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.