Topic Title: Image larger than screen
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2013 01:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2013 01:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
elrohir
Peon

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought my new Ati HD7770, and installed its drivers, which are all of them now updated.

However, I have a problem when I set the resolution to 1080p, or even 720p. It shouldn't be my monitor problem since native resolution is 1080p, but the fact is that when i put the overscan to 0%, the image is larger than the screen.

If it is the default, I get the black borders. So you may say that i shouldn't put it at 0%. Okey, but then the screen is not clear, and i can't see letters as properly as if I set it to 0%.

Im using Windows 7, 64bits 4GB RAM, Intel Quad Core Q9300, and version 13.1 of CCC, and Im connecting the graphics card through HDMI to HDMI connector to a 23" Full HD 1080p TV.

Hope you can help me,

Thanks in advance.

02/17/2013 03:39 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Alpha Geek

I tried the HDMI cable from my cable TV box to my monitor, works as expected. No problems.

My computer however was underscanned at the BIOS suggesting that the monitor was not enabling the 640x480 mode used my the BIOS.

I am using a VGA cable while I await a DisplayPort cable.

-------------------------

02/17/2013 05:02 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

It's your television.  It's treating the signal as overscanned, and only showing part of it.  You need to change its aspect ratio from 16:9 to the option that displays the entire source frame.  What that option is called varies from one manufacturer to the next, and even among models from the same maker.

My 2008 Samsung, for example, calls it Just Scan.  Here are some common options to look for:

Just Scan

1:1

Native

Dot by Dot

Full Pixel

Screen Fit

Some HD televisions simply don't have that option.  If yours is one of those, you're out of luck, at least over HDMI.  Some such limited models will automatically disable overscan for VGA connections.

02/17/2013 07:58 PM

Author Icon
elrohir
Peon

I've been checking my TV aspect ratios, and the options avaliable are just 4:3, 16:9, 2 Zooms, and Automatic.

I've also been checking other resolutions, and this happens to me in all resolutions where i can change the under/overscan option to 0% (or 10% max) in a range of resolutions from 640x480 up to 1920x1080, no matter what resolution it is, I get the same issue (larger image than screen).

Contrary to it, if I can't change the under/overscan option it looks good, this actually happens with a little number of resolutions, one of these is 1280x800 (EDIT: It happens with all resolutions when GPU scaling is enabled; when disabled, it just happens as I wrote before). Same happens using VGA connector, I can't change the under/overscan option (it's disabled by the software by default)

That's why I think the problem comes from that scaling option from the software. So is there anway to completely disable that auto-scaling?

Thanks for your quick answers.

Edited: 02/17/2013 at 08:24 PM by elrohir
 02/17/2013 08:23 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

If you use the VGA connector, it should work as is.  You won't see an overscan option in the driver, and the TV should display the entire frame. 

If none of that works, your only option is to suffer through the loss of quality or get a display that works properly with a computer.

02/17/2013 08:31 PM

Author Icon
elrohir
Peon

But it has worked like a charm before on 1920x1080p using my former graphics card (which was not ATI) and same HDMI to HDMI until it broked down.

Thats why I don't think its a TV problem, but a software problem, that's to say, a configuration problem.

02/18/2013 04:43 PM

Author Icon
elrohir
Peon

Using VGA connector, I can set resolution at 1920x1080p and it works.

Using HDMI connector, I can't see the entire frame if I turn under/overscan to 0%.

The fact is that on HDMI the quality is higher, and that's why I want to use it :/.

02/18/2013 05:20 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

If your television forces overscan, it won't work optimally regardless of your graphics card.  That's a cold hard fact.  If you were to provide the make and model of your TV, I might be able to check whether or not that's actually the case.

There's no difference in quality between VGA and HDMI, given successful avoidance of overscan in the latter case.  There's an extra analog to digital conversion step with VGA, but unless you're using the worst VGA cable on the planet, the resulting digital pixel arrangement will be identical.

02/24/2013 07:25 PM

Author Icon
elrohir
Peon

The make and model are: Ansonic 240TDT but I've already try it. No information about it on the internet (the make is owned by a company).

The image has much more quality using HDMI, it is more sharp, with bright colors.

Statistics
87541 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.