Topic Title: I have an enormous request for a 7970 owner.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/25/2013 01:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/25/2013 01:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JesusSweat
Peon

I am currently in the return window for my GTX 680.  I am having some problems with the card and am seriously considering making the jump to AMD if the 7970 does not have these problems.  The main problem with the 680 is outlined in this thread on the Nvidia forums:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/516509/geforce-600-series/vsync-causing-huge-stuttering-problems-680-off-topic-posts-will-be-deleted-vsync-stutter-discussi/

The problem I have is in the Batman Arkham City demo.  When I start the demo and start to fly batman around, the framerate will dip from 60 to 59/58 to as low as 55.  I have vsync enabled and all settings to max in DX9 mode.  These dips create noticeable stuttering and hitching.  The game is triple buffered already so it's not dropping from 60 fps to 30 fps when the drops occur.My request is for someone to run the Arkham City demo and tell me if they get these annoying stutters caused by these fps dips.  Do you stay at a constant 60 fps during the demo?   Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited: 02/25/2013 at 02:16 PM by JesusSweat
 02/25/2013 02:19 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

I don't understand, why do you have vsync on to begin with?  Have you tried running the game without it at all?  I've always found the having vsync on causes more problems than it was ever designed to solve, but that is just me I guess.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

02/25/2013 02:22 PM

Author Icon
JesusSweat
Peon

Because I absolutely cannot stand screen tearing.  Vsync off is not an option.

02/25/2013 02:40 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Try using a different game.  If it's anything like Arkham Asylum, then it has jittery delivery of frames pretty much in general which might be tweaking your eyeballs a little too much.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

02/25/2013 06:50 PM

Author Icon
JesusSweat
Peon

I guess it's more of a global issue.

My question is, when you guys have vsync on, do you get 60 fps constant (provided the game isn't super demanding) or do you get dips down to 59/58?

02/25/2013 07:37 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Personally, I haven't bothered to check figuring I wouldn't be able to notice the difference between 59 and 60. 

The rendering pipeline involves more than just the video card, so your problem could be elsewhere in the system.  A GTX 680 shouldn't have too much trouble maxing just about anything you can throw at it especially if you're using only a single display.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

02/25/2013 08:00 PM

Author Icon
JesusSweat
Peon

See that's the problem.  You wouldn't think that the dips would be perceivable (and they shouldn't) but apparently myself and the other 680 owners in that 100 page thread i posted are able to clearly see these dips.

I guess it's good news that this problem seems completely odd to you AMD owners though!

02/25/2013 09:04 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I have a GTX 670 so I'm in the same boat as you despite being a wielder of the Ban Hammer of Doom over here. 

I haven't noticed any hiccups, so I haven't had a reason to inspect exactly what the machine is doing more closely.  I'm glad the rest of you are though.  We've known for a while now that measuring frames per second doesn't capture the whole story of how a game can perform, and the more data we have about that the better.

Troll Hunter

Statistics
81000 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.