Topic Title: HD 7000 knowledgement base
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/07/2013 03:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/07/2013 03:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

This topic is about known issues about HD 7000 cards, and issues which are incorrectly being described as driver bug. I try to find any known bug, which is being described to be related to AMD 7000 series and their drivers, find possible fix/driver version or explain why its not a bug of the driver.

This topic will be maintained and edited by me as I will find or confirm new issues/fixes.

General Issues:

DX 9 Flickering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKrbsVQNgDE
Status: Fixed in Catalyst 13.2 Beta 3. Official fix available in Catalyst 13.4 WHQL.

CCC "Black" screen
Catalyst control center may go black when working with it. Most common in video settings. Present since 12.11 betas...

120 Hz flickering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHkmSNwXRo&NR=1&feature=endscreen

144 Hz clock bug:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....16#post4582216

"Idle clock" bug:
When game/engine is started the GPU clocks remain on 300Mhz. Game usually suffers very low performance.

Known workaround: Reinstall windows.

Stuttering:
http://techreport.com/review/24051/geforce-versus-radeon-captured-on-high-speed-video
Status: Fixed in Catalyst 13.2 Beta and its getting fixed further in new games/different configurations. Latest Beta (13.6 Beta2 also provides some fixes)

HDMI audio problems:
Status: Present in latest 13.2 betas. Earlier versions of the drivers should be fine. Should be fixed since 13.6 Beta2.

System lockups w buzzing sound, other strange symptoms:
Status: Confirmed on cards and mobos of certain manufacturers
Solution: Update BIOS of your mobo and card

Coil whine on HD 79X0 cards:
Description: The card may "beep" more or less, when generating high FPS (2000 or more). Repeatable in HD 3dmark 2003.
Status: Hardware issue. May be related to weak PSU. This state has no known effect to normal GPU function.

Firefox "Tile glitch"

Game specific bugs:
Those are visible only in specific applications or games, but not all. This reduces probability of being driver/card related.

Bomb glitch:
http://z32.img-up.net/glitch3480.png
Status: Not fixed. Relation to HD 7000 not completely confirmed

Skyrim "facial" flickering" Type A:
Description: Greenish, white or black lines flashing when you close to a character
Status: Related to bad GPU overclocking. Not a driver issue.

Skyrim "facial" flickering Type B:
Description: Appearing/dissapearing textures on face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuS-S6byAxw

Skyrim "Skin" flickering:
http://slayershrine.wz.cz/skyrim.jpg
When you rotate camera in a manner that your character starts to fade out, the skin of your character may flicker = some parts of the texture ar completely transparent, instead of being "spectral".
Status: Not fixed yet. Related to HD 7000, since the issue stops when you change the GPU.

Skyrim "Z-Fighting" issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcXIA3gnBg

Witcher 2:
Object/Hair flickering when camera is "close"...

Tomb Raider:
Flickering
http://cdn.overclock.net/e/e4/e43a8d0f_TR_Errors_beta3.jpeg
Possible fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838
Links to discussion:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1351650/what-really-should-be-the-1-thing-on-amds-radar-the-dx9-artifacts/210#post_19451944

http://www.overclock.net/t/1351650/what-really-should-be-the-1-thing-on-amds-radar-the-dx9-artifacts/210#post_19455494

If you have any trouble with Tomb Raider please try it and report sucess or any other reaction here to confirm. Thanks.

Other useful information:
- Catalyst Betas 13.2 include its own Catalyst profiles. Do not install previous profiles
- Catalyst Betas 13.2 may be more sensitive to GPU overclocking as previous drivers. For testing clock your graphics to stock frequency

My goal is not to shame AMD by finding another bug, my goal is to find bugs and solution if possible and help ro further improve stability, performance and image quality by accurate customer feedback.

-------------------------

Xeon X3360, Asus Rampage, Gigabyte HD 7970OC, Corsair HX-650

Edited: 07/16/2013 at 03:54 AM by Offler
 03/08/2013 06:25 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Added info regarding blackscreens/system lockups with buzzing sound.

07/03/2013 09:08 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Topic updated.

I also googled for combination of "Skyrim, flickering and HD 7970" messages over web. Most of them were updated with message that issue was fixed with newer driver, rest of topics was abandoned...

Most of the bugs which were not fixed by driver, were fixed with game patch (eg. Starcrafft II polygon stretching, World of tanks "Battle starts" issue). Unpatched games (eg older ones) still may contain few bugs.

07/04/2013 03:40 AM

Author Icon
thominho
Peon

about the coil whine i have a psu certified by amd it is a corsair enthusiast edition tx850 v2 and i have this problem how could this be a weak psu i don have weak psu as i told.So probably amd must check drivers for optimization of fps for these card

07/04/2013 11:30 PM

Author Icon
Rmart003
Peon

As far as I'm concerned, the "idle clock" bug has NOT been fixed yet. 13.6 Catalyst drivers attempt to patch this but the problem still occurs. You can find more insight on the behavior of this bug by viewing my thread: "Throttling, Black-Screen, Driver Issues with 7870 "

07/06/2013 10:31 AM

Author Icon
mariocardona1981
Peon

i have problems with my 7790, the memory clock get stuck at 150 mhz when driver "fails", and wont go up even when the gpu activity is at 100% and the gpu clock is at 1075 mhz

Edit: 

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 BE 3.2 (no OC)

RAM : 8gb ddr3

VGA: Sapphire 7790 1gb ddr5 dual-x OC (stock speed)

Motherboard: MSI NF725m-p43

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600w

Edited: 07/06/2013 at 05:59 PM by mariocardona1981
 07/06/2013 05:42 PM

Author Icon
thominho
Peon

need more specifications such as cpu psu and os

07/07/2013 04:45 AM

Author Icon
thominho
Peon

Do them with the priority i put

1) Delete all the drivers installed for your gpu from windows 7 and windows 8 and instal them{ when you have unistall all of them) again for both systems. P.S. download the drivers which are exclusive for 7790

2)Now if nothink happened then check your graphic card for dust or if she out of paste under the fan of gpu and because of this make big temps.If make big temps then gpu alone go at the lowest performance in order the chip wont burn{also clean a little the pci slot because sometimes get dust and dont work right also check the cables too}

3)if nothin happened again transfer your gpu to another pci slot and see if this working

4)If also above didnt worked then try to forcr constant voltage{keeps gpu at max power this means also big temps all the time}

5)last thing you can do before return graphic card is try it to another more efficient or same pc

6)Return and change or take another gpu

I hope never reach my last suggestion and i hope i helped

07/08/2013 02:26 PM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: thominho about the coil whine i have a psu certified by amd it is a corsair enthusiast edition tx850 v2 and i have this problem how could this be a weak psu i don have weak psu as i told.So probably amd must check drivers for optimization of fps for these card

I have tested several PSUs and 2 different HD 7970 cards (one by Sapphire, another by Gigabyte). when testing with 3dmark2003 reached 2000+ fps in first demo, you can hear the sound from the card.

Scenario was repeatable in any high FPS situation. Also tested in Witcher 2.

Different higher FPS, Different PSU, different card = everytime there was some coil whine...

But different card or different PSU = different sound = which means different frequency produced by card...

07/08/2013 02:33 PM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: Rmart003 As far as I'm concerned, the "idle clock" bug has NOT been fixed yet. 13.6 Catalyst drivers attempt to patch this but the problem still occurs. You can find more insight on the behavior of this bug by viewing my thread: "Throttling, Black-Screen, Driver Issues with 7870 "

Idle clock is considered as "Confirmed" bug. So I added this status to the description.

I know about workaround which disables ULPS, but it can be hardly considered as permanent fix.

07/16/2013 03:52 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

"Idle clock" issue update

Bug started for me after one system crash. It affected only Civilization 4: Beyond sword, while vanilla Civ 4 and Civ 4: Warlords were fine.

Description:
When the game is started and you enter 3d mode of the game, and no menu is opened,  GPU downclocks to 300Mhz and game performance degrades to less than 25 fps.

Workaround:
New Windows installation.

Result:
Issue is related to unknown game or more likely system setting value or registry bug, which may occur. Not directly driver bug, but it affects driver behavior.

Symptoms:
This bug occur only on older games - 2007 and older, with lower 3d requirements, which usually means that game can run smoothly on 501Mhz (on HD 7970).

07/18/2013 03:26 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Can somebody please verify and confirm this:

Skyrim "Skin" flickering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvEms82lYvc

I was able to reproduce it with any Skyrim version, and any HD 7xxx card I tried. (HD 7870, HD 7970 = one by sapphire, second by gigabyte), with any Catalyst (Since 12.4 to 13.6 Beta2). 

Thanks.

07/24/2013 03:23 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

"DX9 flickering residuals"

Some people mentioned that DX9 flickering was not completely fixed. I put some serious effort in confirming or refusing this claim, and here are the results.

Witcher 2

Flickering
I was able to reproduce texture flickering in location of Flotsam forest. The flickering is almost identical to those visible before Catalyst 13.3.. The main difference is that this flickering needs trigger = camera movement. Certain speeds, certain angles.

Chance to trigger it, and to notice is quite small, but the texture corruption is really there.

Other symptoms:
Lower resolution or Lower details = Higher chance to trigger the bug.

Workarounds:
a) Start recording with Fraps. (not very useful I know)
b) Disable Fullscreen

Steps to reproduce:
1. Use this savegame: http://slayershrine.wz.cz/gamesaves.zip
2. Use fullscreen, decrease details/resolution
3. Rotate camera to the left. Use character as vantage point. Focus on grey stone wall on the left.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Skyrim

a) "Skin" flickering

Symptoms:
When you rotate camera, textures on character skin may start to flicker.

Conclusion:
Different bug unrelated to DX9 flickering.

b) Stuttering in house, first person view
When moving in house or closed locations in Skyrim, the game may stutter, even on high framerate. First I thougt its a game issue, but...

Other symptoms:

Lower resolution/details = Higher occurence

Workaround:
a) Recording with Fraps.
b) Disable fullscreen.

===============================

Since both games are DX9, and have same secondary symptoms, and same workarounds, its highly probable that both suffer of the same issue, but in one case it create flickers, in other only stuttering.

For now I need another graphic card to re-test it. If it will be present on Nvidia as well, its a DirectX bug. Else, its a bug related to driver...

================================

Also I would ask people here for help. I know that many games have been mentioned to contain flickering even after Catalyst 13.3. What games have those trouble?

Thanks.

09/13/2013 08:12 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Hello guys.

All mentioned bugs I have in this topic will be tested again with latest WHQL drivers for HD 7970, and crosstested on Nvidia GTX 650Ti.

Any bug which will be visible on both setups will be reported to game developers, bugs visible exclusively on HD 7970 will be reported to AMD support.

09/13/2013 11:29 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

hello. some quick tests:

Skyrim "Skin flickering"

Repeatable on HD7970, HD7870, GTX 650ti, GTX 660
BUT NOT HD5850, HD3870x2, GTX480.

The cards with this bug have PCI-E 3.0. The cards where this bug was not observed are PCI-E 2.0 or older.

Result: NOT AN AMD DRIVER BUG.

Anyways, the behavior of this bug is quite strange.

"Light Flickering" in Metro: Last Light
Repeatable on both HD7970 and GTX 650Ti

Result: NOT AN AMD DRIVER BUG.

"Reflection corruption" in DeuxEX: Human revolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NbBLs9HtYc

Latent bug. Its not visible until you change DirectX mode in the game from 11 to 9 and vice versa. Level of graphical corruption vary and changes when you save load game. Sucessfully repeated on HD 7970 and GTX 650ti. DX9 mode if the bug was triggered is also causing stuttering on HD 7970, while GTX 650Ti seems to run fine.

Result: GAME or System bug..

"Latent flickering and stuttering"
Observed exclusively in Witcher 2, on saved position in Flotsam forest. Bug is visible only if fullscreen is enabled, and you are rotating camera across specified flickerspots.

Cant be recorded with Fraps - bug becomes invisible again.

Result: Not available yet. For now was observed only on HD7970, however I dont have proof of existence of this bug.

Stuttering was also observed only in Skyrim. Location "Lakeview manor". You have to zoom in you view and move on specific trajectory to trigger this bug. As the one in Witcher 2 its visible only in fullscreen and cannot be recorded with Fraps.

Result: Not available yet. Observed only on HD7970 and there is not proof of existence.

HTH

09/16/2013 02:27 PM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Second round of tests performed today:

Civilization IV:
Contained minor shadow flickering which is present on both AMD and NVidia.
Result: Game Bug

Prey v.1.0
Prior to Cataktst 13.2 game used to crash, while it was not possible to see what is being displayed. Test on 13.10 confirmed minor flickering. This flickering is visible only on fullscreen, cannot be recorded with Fraps and its not reproducable on Nvidia card. 

Note: This is 3rd issue with exactly same symptoms. So far easiest to reproduce.

Prey v.1.3
Latest game patch removed that issue.

Deus EX: Human Revolution Re-tested
Skybox reflections may get corrupted on 2nd load of the game, not first.

09/16/2013 04:39 PM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Another bug Identified:

Resolution 1600x1200 seems to be not properly supported.

Steps to replicate:
a) Ensure that "GPU Scaling" in CCC is DISABLED.
b) Open "Desktop management", then "Desktop Properties". Check available resolutions. 1600x1200 should be present
c) Click on the resolution and then "Apply".
d) You should see shimmering image

Notes:
- 1600x1200 is not present in "Screen Resolution" properties in Windows 7
- When you "Enable GPU" scaling, and then click back to "Desktop properties" 1600x1200 is no longer present in menu
- If some game support 1600x1200 switching to in on fullscreen will trigger the shimmering image. If "GPU Scaling enabled" game may be forced to switch back to 640x480.
- Tested on Samsung PX2370, DVI-D with Catalyst 13.10.

I believe that this resulution should NOT be available for my display as its "only" 1920x1080.

Edited: 09/16/2013 at 04:49 PM by Offler
 09/19/2013 10:36 AM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

====Confirmed AMD bugs in 3d====

"Fullscreen bugs"
- Witcher 2 Flickerspot was confirmed, and reproduced
- Skyrim stutterspot was confirmed and reproduced too

I am still looking for a method how to record them with reliable method and not spent 100 dollars for new device

I believe that those two confirmed bugs are DX9 flickering which remained on almost invisible level. Flicker reduction is like 99.9 percent, but I believe that Witcher 2 can help to identify the rest.

Overall results related to 3d apps are very good. All other issues were confirmed to be game related.

====Catalyst bugs====
I am going to focus on CCC. For now I have only 1600x1200 issue, but there is more stuff (like CCC screen is getting black when clicking on video settings)

====And some report on Game bugs====

"Skin flickering in Skyrim"
According to their technical support Bethesda will most probably not fix that issue, since is already working on new project.

I find interesting that the bug is reproducable only on graphic cards with PCI-E 3.0 (HD 7870, HD 7970, GTX 660, GTX 650ti), but not on cards with older standard (HD 5850, HD 3870x2, GTX 480).

"Light flashing in Metro LL"
No response from technical support

"Deus Ex: HR"
I am unable to contact Square Enix technical support and submit bugreport. The web page does not seem to work correctly.

09/21/2013 06:16 PM

Author Icon
Offler
Grinding Levels

Finally recorded "Fullscreen flickering" in witcher 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQw4T15z7GI

description and how to reproduce in video.

09/22/2013 08:31 AM

Author Icon
cos
Peon

Hey guys,not sure if i'm in the right thread. Installed my new sapphire 7950 vapor x the other day,ever since iv'e had the regular problem of the negative color issue. Thought it would be a driver issue, uninstalled all AMD software. Re installed latest CCC and drivers, still happening. Any ideas guys?Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R MB.Intel i7 2.6.6 gig Corsair DDR3.Epsilon 80plus psu (600 watt)The card runs sweet as a nut. BF3 never ran so rich or smooth. Hopeing it's a driver conflict as the card was couriered from France.
Statistics
80960 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.