Topic Title: Simple questions about multi-display setups
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/08/2013 08:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2013 08:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
HDN
Peon

Assuming I am a person, who have Radeon 7870 with

• single DVI/DSub port
  • single HDMI port
  • two mini-display ports
who spent some time trying to find clear answers and failed, then came here to finally get them and get rid of a headache.
What kind of monitor configurations can I use, if:
  1. I do not want to use any active adapters:
    1. Can I plug more than 2 screens in any way?
    2. If yes, can I plug more than 2 IF I want to use analog output out of DVI?
    3. If yes to any of the above, will all 3+ displays support fullHD resolution at 60hz?
  2. I decide to get poorer and want to get active mini-display adapter(s) for my card:
    1. How many screens can I plug into single active adapter?
      1. Does it matter if I use DVI/HDMI or VGA output based adapters?
      2. What are max resolutions/refresh rates available when using 2 (or more, if applicable) screen in single minidisplay?
    2. How many of the DVI/HDMI ports can I use in addition to mini-display running with adapter?
      1. Can I run DVI in analog DSUB mode, when using one or two minidisplay in active mode?
        1. What if I have above and additional screen using HDMI, is analog output still available?

03/11/2013 05:23 PM

Author Icon
HDN
Peon

Guess I'm not the only one who can't answer these...

03/11/2013 06:05 PM

Author Icon
DragonSteve
Peon

You can plug in more than 2 screens if the third and above screen have a native Displayport connection.

If you want to run 3 monitors, at least one of them must be connected via Displayport. The other two can be connect via HDMI, DVI or VGA (either via adapter or native connection)

Yes. VGA, HDMI, DVI and Displayport all support 1920x1080p at 60Hz.

Though there may be some monitors that do not support it on certain connections.

1 Monitor per adapter and it doesn't matter if it's a Displayport to DVI, HDMI or VGA, as long as it's an active adapter.

You can use all your Displayport connections and up to 2 other types (DVI/VGA/HDMI) of connection at the same time.

The total number of monitors you can use with an eyefinity compatible graphic card is usually 3 or 4, though there exists "Special Edition" cards that supports more. To the best of my knowlegde most, if not all, HD 7870 cards available with 2 mini-DP connectors supports a total of 4 monitors.

On such a card you can run 2 monitors over both the Displayport connectors, 1 monitor over the HDMI and a fourth over the DVI/DSUB.

03/12/2013 11:29 AM

Author Icon
HDN
Peon

Thank you very much DragonSteve!  Finally I know what I can and can't do. I wish something like that was written in help assets on the amd eyefinity section.

Statistics
84305 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.